C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Another '65 365HP with A/C on eBay (WIW)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another '65 365HP with A/C on eBay (WIW)

Most of you guys remember the recent thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...5-on-ebay.html

Well, there's another (claimed to be one) on eBay. NOM but era correct? A/C components gone. This one has radio, much better paint and interior plus PW. Couldn't have been that many with this combo either. Trying to get more info from seller on the current engine block to see how close date-wise it is...if at all. Tach & oil gauge look correct. Side pipes were obviously added as rear valance still has rear exhaust. Much incorrect or missing in engine bay. What am I missing and what's it worth? Love to hear you guys' opinions as I'm still on the learning curve on these high HP '65s.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372193197963?ul_noapp=true

Thanks much,
PO
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

they sanded the paint of the pad and forgot to show the code? most of all the high dollar AC parts are missing. the car is poorly restored, with no attention to detail. do paper work to back up the engine. unless there is more then whats in that sad listing its a 50-60K car
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
they sanded the paint of the pad and forgot to show the code? most of all the high dollar AC parts are missing. the car is poorly restored, with no attention to detail. do paper work to back up the engine. unless there is more then whats in that sad listing its a 50-60K car
I have asked for a picture of the rest of the stamp pad, the block casting #, and block date code via phone. He said the block casting info was in the eBay pics. Nope.
Have a feeling I won't get any of the above. Acted like I was disturbing his TV show. Even "era correct" would add a little value (to me). It's probably not even a 365hp.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Nice looking except under the hood.

NOM engine - obviously doesn't match the VIN, and I can see no evidence of AC ever having been under the hood.

Ugh
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

If you look under the hood it makes you wonder what appears to be fresh paint and brand new wheels and tires covered up? Why would someone not try to do something with under the hood to make the car more desirable?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
If you look under the hood it makes you wonder what appears to be fresh paint and brand new wheels and tires covered up? Why would someone not try to do something with under the hood to make the car more desirable?
Yeah, said he's only owned it a year. eBay feedback doesn't look real good. He's in Houston and said a real estate investment became available so, he needed to free up some cash. Could be. Probably a lot of property changing hands in Houston after the hurricane.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

The AC parts I see missing are the condenser, compressor and brackets, dryer, refrigerant lines, water valve, and left interior AC duct. The under hood evaporator box is there mounted on the firewall but can’t see if STV and APV are present. Getting the AC working would cost at least a grand. Battery located on drivers side as is access door.
If the engine presently in the car is from a Corvette the engine stamp VIN shown is about a month prior to this cars VIN. Pretty car, but nickel and dime stuff would run the ownership price up. I wonder if the paint blisters mentioned in the description are from compressor oil migrating into the fiberglass substrate from when it had a working system.

No mention on any of the drive train/chassis components being restored.
WIW 43K-48K
The following users liked this post:
PreviousOwner (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 AM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vitaminmopar
The AC parts I see missing are the condenser, compressor and brackets, dryer, refrigerant lines, water valve, and left interior AC duct. The under hood evaporator box is there mounted on the firewall but can’t see if STV and APV are present. Getting the AC working would cost at least a grand. Battery located on drivers side as is access door.
If the engine presently in the car is from a Corvette the engine stamp VIN shown is about a month prior to this cars VIN. Pretty car, but nickel and dime stuff would run the ownership price up. I wonder if the paint blisters mentioned in the description are from compressor oil migrating into the fiberglass substrate from when it had a working system.

No mention on any of the drive train/chassis components being restored.
WIW 43K-48K
Thanks Vitamin, very informative. I was figuring more like $3-4k for A/C components but my only experience was with a '69 Chevelle SS 396 & I was trying to keep everything # correct as the car still had the original engine. Even the brackets on that BB had date codes. No need to get that detailed on this car, IMHO.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The only thing that would prove it was originally a 365 car with A/C - and therefore quite rare - is the suffix HK (or rarer yet, HM - 365 with A/C and T.I.) following the engine assembly date on the stamp pad. The question then becomes, how do you know if that stamp is genuine.

Not knowing the condition of the condenser and evaporator, if present at all, puts a big expensive question mark on restoration costs. Real cars also have a larger pulley on the compressor, another expensive piece. Real 365/air cars have different exhaust manifolds, also expensive. Even making a realistic clone would be pricey.

This was probably originally an a/c car but under the hood is just a disaster area. Who knows what the original drivetrain was? In that condition and without the original engine case it's a mid-forties car at best.

Last edited by SW Vette; 01-17-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

as 365hp cars did not come with power steering or a steering dampener/shock, I always look for evidence that they were removed. bolts almost always leave trace evidence on the frame, (like under car rear exhaust hangers) and this car fails the initial look as it has power steering.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I also called this seller. He acted annoyed when I asked if it was a flood, or fire damaged car since the paint and interior were so obviously shiny and new. Why not detail out the engine compartment as well, if you are putting on "lipstick"....

The top of the battery looks like it sustained some heat and resulting discoloration from a fire? Maybe it's the picture and lighting? Maybe it is just me because the paint and interior look so fresh. Nice looking color combo IMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

If you google his numbers you will see this isnt the first thing he has sold or for sale.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Given the condition and the absence of indications of being anything unique, it's maybe a nice mid-$40s driver.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

I looked at the add and can't tell if its a genuine 365hp, but what the heck is that round object just before the inline fuel filter? Never seen that before.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Given the condition and the absence of indications of being anything unique, it's maybe a nice mid-$40s driver.
All things considered, I would be very curious about the quality of the body and paint. Might be a quick "scratch and shoot"? You just never know what is under that shiny paint and how it will look next year.... All that bling can sure hide poor workmanship and a lot of "sins". The engine compartment sets the stage for some serious on-site inspection IMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Gettysburg
Instructor

Originally Posted by VITIV Coupe
I looked at the add and can't tell if its a genuine 365hp, but what the heck is that round object just before the inline fuel filter? Never seen that before.
It’s an adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I have not looked at the ad, but I can tell from the convo that this car is a mongrel and a mess. Move along. There are many mid-years for sale. Most you can skip right on by because they are mongrels, overpriced at that. This is one of those.

Get notified of new replies

To Another '65 365HP with A/C on eBay (WIW)

Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

In response to many of the posts above I will comment.

The guy spend more time and text describing how to pay for the auction and seems to apparently had problems with people completing his auctions from the rest of what he has to say. Probably because he does not know how to properly describe what he is selling and is reluctant to answer questions when asked. He obviously does not understand what the true selling points of this car should be and has not pictured or pointed them out.

The replacement parts and labor for the missing A/C parts will easily run in to the 1000s and unless the car can be proven to be be an original 365 h.p. then you have to value this car as just an A/C equipped Corvette missing 90% of the A/C parts.

Someone could have added the PS to the car but you would have to remove the expensive hipo oil pan to do it.

The other 365 h.p. A/C car would be a better car to start with but certainly not for what it sold for. Anybody will be financially upside down with that car unless they do all the work themselves and don't count the cost of their labor.

Last edited by 68hemi; 01-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68hemi
In response to many of the posts above I will comment.

The guy spend more time and text describing how to pay for the auction and seems to apparently had problems with people completing his auctions from the rest of what he has to say. Probably because he does not know how to properly describe what he is selling and is reluctant to answer questions when asked. He obviously does not understand what the true selling points of this car should be and has not pictured or pointed them out.

The replacement parts and labor for the missing A/C parts will easily run in to the 1000s and unless the car can be proven to be be an original 365 h.p. then you have to value this car as just an A/C equipped Corvette missing 90% of the A/C parts.

Someone could have added the PS to the car but you would have to remove the expensive hipo oil pan to do it.

The other 365 h.p. A/C car would be a better car to start with but certainly not for what it sold for. Anybody will be financially upside down with that car unless they do all the work themselves and don't count the cost of their labor.
Thanks 68hemi and all the others that responded. I even told the guy that the stamp pad should have HK or HM as the suffix. He said he had a pic and would text it but not email it. Hmmm, I like to blow 'em up as large as I can on the old dinosaur. Oh well, as of this writing, I haven't rec'd ANY of the requested info. My guess is, even the replacement engine isn't a 365hp.
Didn't know about the PS. Thanks guys....always learning something here. This is another one to write off. Odd way to try to sell a car. Oh, I asked him too about the possibility of hurricane damage. Said the car was in a "different place". Cali car supposedly. Not even sure I'd believe that at this point.
We'll see where it lands dollar wise in a few hours.

Regards,
PO
Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

they're all "California Cars". Right.
this is a pig in a poke.
Stop asking the guy questions, and look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: [C2] Another '65 365HP with A/C on eBay (WIW)