C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Which is the best approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
All paint jobs have a life time. You do not think 15 years is good?? The sun does the most damage to any paint job.
NO especially for our cars that are coddled. It is not like they are driven daily to sit in the parking lot of some acid rain environment like a coal fired steel mill and only washed once a week.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you want anything close to the original look then single-stage is prob the best bet. My 63 was shot just before last Thanksgiving with single stage and, although it looks shiny as heck in the photos, has a sheen somewhat similar to lacquer if you stand beside it. The car also has the "knocked down" door jambs and hood areas as original...
What version/color of red did you use Frankie?

Last edited by Patrick03; 01-18-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

All paint jobs have a life time. You do not think 15 years is good?? The sun does the most damage to any paint job.
Nope. Not for the 10-20k that they now cost. 15 years ago to me seems like about 5 years ago. Time flies. I am delighted my 33 year old paint and 25 year old paint on the GTO's is still holding up and I can simply drive them, rather than be on their third BC/CC paint job by now, and out of pocket tens of thousands on the new finishes over time. No thanks. Am not sold on BC/CC: I have yet to see ANY BC/CC job hold up over the long run, and do not like the look on classic cars anyway. It is too shiny.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Patrick03
What version/color of red did you use Frankie?
Its a painstakingly selected Riverside Red (or as close as you can get with modern products). It was matched to original paint areas under my car's door sills and a Roman Red (same color -- different name) 62 car in original lacquer that happened to be in the shop alongside mine.

This paint will be fine 'in a few years' Tim Burke has been in the paint/body business for 48 years and has used the product that is on my car extensively on lots of Florida cars that are actually driven.

I'm not even worried about it
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Frank that is what I was getting at. New paint always looks good. The real test of a Painter and their prep work is looking at cars they done years ago that has been used. Trailer and garage queens need not apply.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Great color and paint job! But living in the Mid-West with all the snow, the color black on my Vette is not an option.
You are going to drive it in the snow???If you go with base/clear, I highly recommend the SPI universal clear. They only sell black, bright white, and red single stage and base coat. It seems that most painters prefer PPG base coat these days.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I color sanded this single stage in 1993...Flambeau Burgundy Metallic. No issues whatsoever. Looks like it was sprayed last year. Same with my Blue Charcoal Poly metallic '65....single stage and wet sanded more than 30 years ago. Still looks ok. No metal chunks sticking out through the paint on either car.....
Metallic is different than metal flake, as you know. Some people confuse the two.

Metal flake needs the clear to look right, metallic does not.

Doug
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

But, do your GTOs sit out in the sun all day, every day?

I have found that the factory applied single stage or BC/CC finish, on any car will outlast any respray i have ever seen on a car that gets lots of sun.

Doug

Nope. Not for the 10-20k that they now cost. 15 years ago to me seems like about 5 years ago. Time flies. I am delighted my 33 year old paint and 25 year old paint on the GTO's is still holding up and I can simply drive them, rather than be on their third BC/CC paint job by now, and out of pocket tens of thousands on the new finishes over time. No thanks. Am not sold on BC/CC: I have yet to see ANY BC/CC job hold up over the long run, and do not like the look on classic cars anyway. It is too shiny.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

My 16 year old dodge ram base coat clear coat truck I bought new still looks very good, my wife frequently comments that it looks new. That's a bit of an overstatement but it does look very good and I never waxed it. I do you use a wax soap pre mixed car wash on a regular basis, no specific brand, whatever is on sale. The truck spent the first three years of its life outside 24/7 and was and still is used in the salt and crud, not as much as before though. I do paint my own cars and its definitely base coat clear coat for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
But, do your GTOs sit out in the sun all day, every day?

I have found that the factory applied single stage or BC/CC finish, on any car will outlast any respray i have ever seen on a car that gets lots of sun.

Doug
Thanks for clearing up the metallic vs metalflake, Doug. You have something there. And as for sitting in the sun, yes and no. The '65 was painted in '85 and was parked on the street until I had garage space in '96....so 11 years out in the elements. Never inside. It was a daily driver, and not a real valuable car back then. I kept wax on it, and back then, lived in the Bay Area, so no real brutal heat. The '67 was pretty much garaged after getting repainted, but has spent thousands of hours in the sun and has been on cross-country trips more than once in the past 25 years...the real issue I'm having with it is the many small rock chips on the front clip from all of those highway miles. The '66 GTO I had a high dollar base/clear job done on started to fail in its 7th year, and it was only garaged part of the time (Bay Area mild climate as well). The red started to fade under the clearcoat in year 7, and by year ten, it started to get the sunburn peel on the top of the front cowl. I have friends who have cars from the 30's that have original paint in good condition (garaged cars from day one) and repainted cars that have 50-70 year old paint that still looks good....and all of these are solvent-based enamels or lacquers. The lacquers usually check if they are really old, but look pretty cool on a 100 year old car......
Old 01-19-2018, 12:54 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

As stated above I think the sun is the killer of paint, regardless of what you use. The ten year old paint on my car is BC/CC and looks as good as the day it was sprayed. Why, because it has never been in the sun except when I drive it. Of course there are times when it has sat out 15 or 20 minutes when I go to the store or other places but has held up great. As far as color. Red is red, white is white, blue is blue and so on.
Anyone ever seen the 1948 movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". I'm paraphrasing but there is a scene where the wife is telling the painter what colors she wanted for the rooms. She said for one room she wanted yellow like the color of an egg yoke. Another room green like a piece of thread she had, another room blue like so on and so on. The boss then told his painters to use yellow, green and blue.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
As stated above I think the sun is the killer of paint, regardless of what you use. The ten year old paint on my car is BC/CC and looks as good as the day it was sprayed. Why, because it has never been in the sun except when I drive it. Of course there are times when it has sat out 15 or 20 minutes when I go to the store or other places but has held up great. As far as color. Red is red, white is white, blue is blue and so on.
Anyone ever seen the 1948 movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". I'm paraphrasing but there is a scene where the wife is telling the painter what colors she wanted for the rooms. She said for one room she wanted yellow like the color of an egg yoke. Another room green like a piece of thread she had, another room blue like so on and so on. The boss then told his painters to use yellow, green and blue.
Great flick, with a really neat '48 Buick convertible. I remember Cary Grant referring to their windowless house as a "$38,000 Ice Box" among other classic dialog. The way most of our collector cars are now driven, durability is less of an issue. It's mainly about appearance in my case. Had a friend with a '65 GTO that got the two stage paint....painter talked him into it. Barrett Jackson would love it, but he hates it. Waaaaay too shiny....looks like it was dipped in Varathane.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:41 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

...Another thing I don't like about base/clear paint jobs aside from them peeling away in less than 15 years is the appearance: like a glazed ham. Base/clear cars are too shiny and wet looking for me.
I'm not sure I'd agree that BC/CC is less durable, my winter beater is a 2001 Mercedes sedan that I've owned for 15 years and has never been parked in the garage (because my Corvette was in said garage!) Its paint is still flawless except for the dents, scrapes and rust that is gradually consuming it.

It really is personal preference. Some folks want a wet looking car, probably the same guys who cannot apply too much Armor-All on their tires or dash tops. On modern cars I like that wet look, but on mid century cars it just looks wrong to me.

I have friends with 50's cars who have mixed clear into the basecoat to try and have it both ways, with mixed results, pardon the pun.

The black 61 Plymouth I posted above was painted in 2007.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 01-19-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Which is the best approach in refinishing your Corvette-single- or two-stage?