C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

‘63 AC SWC at Barrett

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Default ‘63 AC SWC at Barrett

The SWC air conditioned cars continue to fascinate me.

Silver blue example just sold at Barrett For $170k including Premium.

Not bad.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...W-COUPE-211132

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-19-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

It's a staggering amount of money for a pretty old Chevy!

very nice.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

And a 300 hp car....

When my split window was getting judged in Florida in 2016 a fella there had bought a split window a few months prior to the meet (from New Jersey IIRC) - also this blue color, sight unseen. He didn't realize until it arrived that it was a factory air car.. Some guys luck out in spite of themselves.

I know I always say not to judge values by a single auction sale but this is looking like a trend, short term maybe. Not getting the 15%-20% bump in car prices for non-A/C, carbureated split windows with mild pedigrees in some cases.

Maybe we are in a price 'bubble'...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-20-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:46 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
And a 300 hp car....

When my split window was getting judged in Florida in 2016 a fella there had bought a split window a few months prior to the meet (from New Jersey IIRC) - also this blue color, sight unseen. He didn't realize until it arrived that it was a factory air car.. Some guys luck out in spite of themselves.

I know I always say not to judge values by a single auction sale but this is looking like a trend, short term maybe. Not getting the 15%-20% bump in car prices for non-A/C, carbureated split windows with mild pedigrees in some cases.

Maybe we are in a price 'bubble'...
I've seen these 63's climb and settle down and climb again a few years latter. Three steps forward and one backwards. Its a great hobby to be in.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't mind "riding the waves"....sure has worked for me with stocks...
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't mind "riding the waves"....sure has worked for me with stocks...
I didn't comment in the other thread.
But, I believe today's high prices for our classics is strongly correlated with the stock market.

Essentially, that is what you are also saying in the above comment.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I didn't comment in the other thread.
But, I believe today's high prices for our classics is strongly correlated with the stock market.

Essentially, that is what you are also saying in the above comment.

That and I think classic Corvettes are becoming 'bucket list' cars...the geriatric crowd figures they better jump in before they get too old to do so...
Old 01-20-2018, 11:56 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

That and I think classic Corvettes are becoming 'bucket list' cars...the geriatric crowd figures they better jump in before they get too old to do so...

I think that’s an interesting point... a lot is made of the graying of the hobby and the observation that 60s/70s classics will suddenly die off as the Boomers do (I don’t buy it, but it’s repeated enough to be conventional wisdom). But not much talk about the fact that the grey hairs these days often have a chunk of cash and can afford to overpay for that car that always made them crazy over the years. I’m hearing that story a lot.

People are very concerned about the lack of interest of young folks to enter the hobby, but I’m hearing about older people with plenty of resources that are dipping their toes in the water for the first time. I think the market and the hobby might have some surprises left for us.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
People are very concerned about the lack of interest of young folks to enter the hobby, but I’m hearing about older people with plenty of resources that are dipping their toes in the water for the first time. I think the market and the hobby might have some surprises left for us.

The economy is doing fantastic right now.

There are a lot of "old guys" sitting on nice gains in their portfolios
Old 01-20-2018, 03:46 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Having lived in AZ since 1981 I faithfully attended B-J Scottsdale for 30 years.
My gearhead buddies and I always commented regarding the crazy prices paid as "it's just B-J." Prices paid there are fueled by alcohol and BIG egos. The high dollar cars run on Friday night and all day Saturday and the big ego guy LOVE to see themselves on TV. The fallout from these telivised auctions cause everybody that has and old piece of crap car in their backyard to think it is worth roughly the same as the high dollar cars sold at auction on TV.
B-J Scottsdale for the most part has the cream of the crop for cars since they have become THE collector car auction of the world. They "pick" what THEY allow to auction in prime time. If you have something special and it is REALLY NICE you can do well there but don't let that influence your judgement in the real world.

Yes, the bucket list thing is real. I am suffering from it right now as well. I am 67 years old and looking for another Corvette that I certainly don't NEED but when my friends and family ask me why I tell them "why did I earn the money I have at my age? I can't take it with me and I am going to enjoy it the way I want" AND I have owned more SPECIAL cars in my life than any one man deserves so I can easily see why someone else my age might be willing to overpay at this point in their lives for their dream car.

To fellow gearheads, if you have never been to the Scottsdale area at this time of year do yourself a BIG favor and go. There are lot of auctions to attend. B-J, Russo & Steele, Diamond, RM as well as some HUGE parking lot car shows that are weekly there but swell up big time during auction time. You will be on sensory overload when it is all done.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Having lived in AZ since 1981 I faithfully attended B-J Scottsdale for 30 years.
My gearhead buddies and I always commented regarding the crazy prices paid as "it's just B-J." Prices paid there are fueled by alcohol and BIG egos. The high dollar cars run on Friday night and all day Saturday and the big ego guy LOVE to see themselves on TV. The fallout from these telivised auctions cause everybody that has and old piece of crap car in their backyard to think it is worth roughly the same as the high dollar cars sold at auction on TV.
B-J Scottsdale for the most part has the cream of the crop for cars since they have become THE collector car auction of the world. They "pick" what THEY allow to auction in prime time. If you have something special and it is REALLY NICE you can do well there but don't let that influence your judgement in the real world.

Yes, the bucket list thing is real. I am suffering from it right now as well. I am 67 years old and looking for another Corvette that I certainly don't NEED but when my friends and family ask me why I tell them "why did I earn the money I have at my age? I can't take it with me and I am going to enjoy it the way I want" AND I have owned more SPECIAL cars in my life than any one man deserves so I can easily see why someone else my age might be willing to overpay at this point in their lives for their dream car.

To fellow gearheads, if you have never been to the Scottsdale area at this time of year do yourself a BIG favor and go. There are lot of auctions to attend. B-J, Russo & Steele, Diamond, RM as well as some HUGE parking lot car shows that are weekly there but swell up big time during auction time. You will be on sensory overload when it is all done.
I like your thinking Darryl!

Also, I say every year that I want to make this event in Scottsdale, and I have yet to do so. I really do need to get this done!

Pat
Old 01-20-2018, 04:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

True. It’s simply a fun, fun event for car guys. Tons to look at, people to watch and talk to, it’s just an amusement park for people who love cars. I’ve never failed to have a great time at Scottsdale.

I would recommend it to anyone who loves cars of all kinds, there’s simply no reason not to go.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

And George W shows up to sell a Corvette for Wounded veterans!
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I was born in '63 and when I was 12 or 13 years old I discovered a destroyed '63 SWC next to an old storage building behind our house. It was silver with a red interior. I have always wanted one and still do.
I figure I have at least 20 years to pursue it.
There are many 40-50 year olds who want these cars. It's a matter of dollars and older folks are more likely to have the funds required.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

The SWC air conditioned cars continue to fascinate me.

Silver blue example just sold at Barrett For $170k including Premium.

Not bad.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...W-COUPE-211132
They went for good money in 2007 There was one in in LA Plata Maryland that got totaled and was bought for 100,000 back then before the accident .
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

It’s simply a fun, fun event for car guys. Tons to look at, people to watch and talk to, it’s just an amusement park for people who love cars. I’ve never failed to have a great time at Scottsdale.

I would recommend it to anyone who loves cars of all kinds, there’s simply no reason not to go.
With almost 1800 vehicles of all kinds and "car people" all over the place it has to a car guy's euphoria.
And George W shows up to sell a Corvette for Wounded veterans!
I though that was a very touching "what makes America great" moment.

Get notified of new replies

To ‘63 AC SWC at Barrett

Quick Reply: ‘63 AC SWC at Barrett