C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The resto mods with the more modern drivetrains,with LT4, LS3, LS7 motors and modern chassis are bringing strong money. Older resto mods with less modern drivetrains and motors like C4 LT1, C5 LS1 or carbeurated motors aren't as strong.
Down the road, these newer resto mods will become dated when superior drivetrains emerge and their values will also diminish.
One thing nice about an original Solid Axle or Midyear, is that it will always be the way it was made and there is a value to that.
I'm glad you pointed that out. Historically correct cars will always go up in value while these modifieds are a current fad, only to lose value when the next fad arrives.

Verne
Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by W Guy
I'm glad you pointed that out. Historically correct cars will always go up in value while these modifieds are a current fad, only to lose value when the next fad arrives.

Verne
Disagree,,,,Restro-Mods cars and trucks are here to stay...and will only Grow in Popularity and in Numbers with every decade that passes.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Disagree,,,,Restro-Mods cars and trucks are here to stay...and will only Grow in Popularity and in Numbers with every decade that passes.
But not their values. They're only at their peak when they're fresh. Buying one is a money losing proposition.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Regardless of value or how much one pays, or over pays, an old style body with a modern, or more modern drive train is much easier, or at least less hassle, to drive. THAT is what drives resto-mods IMO, though obviously it has turned into a potential profit center for some.

My '37 Pickup, with its 327 and 4 speed auto, PS, PB, A/C, four wheel discs,a nd independent front suspension is a pleasure to drive. I doubt the same could be said about an 85 HP flathead with non-snychro 3 speed and cable brakes.

I didn't build it to sell it, i built it so "I" could drive it.

Doug

Name:  rihXCuJ.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  OZrXmCf.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  91.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
Fagunza (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Cars have been modified and changed since there were cars. There are all sorts of reasons and all sorts of flavors. Interesting to note that modified cars that were done in the '40's-'60's usually bring MORE money than stockers of that era, if you can find any left ('34-'40 Ford coupes, etc. ) Tastefully modified cars of quality will always hold some interest. The two that 'Not Red' just sold reflect that...very classy cars done in a timeless manner that ought to age well. Now, I've seen a bunch of Boyd-style Billet Easter Egg cars that are just the opposite: they look hopelessly dated, even compared to the stock version. Hellooooo 1992!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Irrational exuberance and irrational valuation = bubble....

Cars, real estate, stocks, artwork....

Calm down folks...you aren't gonna get 1/3 million dollars for your candy apple red 61 with a ZZ-4 crate motor and Hurst shifter...
Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

But not their values. They're only at their peak when they're fresh. Buying one is a money losing proposition.
Another no facts “opinion”. GEESH.....It’s not even a good one.

Last edited by mike coletta; 01-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Originally Posted by William Buckley
I usually watch quite a bit Barrett Jackson, but the way things are going this year for restomods that really don't deserve that kind of money vs. original cars made me sick. I turned the program off. This reminds me of the democrats valuing the DACA's more than American citizens, and it sickens me. It may be me, but some people have screwed up values.
I think that it IS you, because I apparently have screwed up values, but I feel fine. BTW I’m NOT a Democrat, but comparing car prices to the dems political positions is ridiculous.

Last edited by mike coletta; 01-22-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Verne
Verne, can I borrow your crystal ball??? I built my first Restomod 17 years ago, and I’m just wondering when I should get out.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:44 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I do not watch, nor do I keep up with the TV auctions on these kinds of cars.
I have other things in life that are much more enjoyable---------------as I feebly attempted to show. Sorry for not demonstrating something more relevant. I'll delete it if you wish.
Not my thread, brother...to each his own...I like the auction(s) and things like it simply for entertainment value...but I do realize its not what everyone likes.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Another no facts “opinion”. GEESH.....It’s not even a good one.
I would say he has a valid point.

When you buy a "new" Restomod, you are buying a "new" car, and if you drive it, or even don't drive it, it will depreciate, just like a new car does. Maybe not as much, but i sure wouldn't plan on it going up in value.

You are already under water when you buy at BJ or similar auction, you pay a 10% premium for the privilege of buying (and maybe overpaying) it at auction, plus another 8.4% or similar sales tax, at best, even IF you find somebody to pay $400K to buy the car from you, you paid $400K plus $40K plus $37K tax, and you just lost $76K.

Doug
Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug

When you buy a "new" Restomod, you are buying a "new" car, and if you drive it, or even don't drive it, it will depreciate, just like a new car does. Maybe not as much, but i sure wouldn't plan on it going up in value.

You are already under water when you buy at BJ or similar auction, you pay a 10% premium for the privilege of buying (and maybe overpaying) it at auction, plus another 8.4% or similar sales tax, at best, even IF you find somebody to pay $400K to buy the car from you, you paid $400K plus $40K plus $37K tax, and you just lost $76K.

Doug
Not to mention the fact that as I have stated previously I never want to be the guy in the room that paid more than anyone else for the carNot to mention the fact that as I have stated previously I never want to be the guy in the room that paid more than anyone else for the car
Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

The market for cars is changing. The crowd has more younger buyers with different tastes. The younger generation, in more and more cases, doesn't have the technical knowledge and skills to repair the older cars. In my opinion, that's one of the reasons why these resto-mods are growing in appeal.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMikeB (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Options!! Options!! and even more Car Options!!! are driving the New Car Market today.

GM even applied for a car without a steering wheel for government approval. People are wanting even more in car technology...More people are wanting a modern Restro-Mod Vintage Corvette that IS NOW FUN TO DRIVE, Even the new 2018 Corvettes are loaded with options like a new Caddy and 88% now have automatic transmissions.

The new generation of classic car buyers is slowing changing more towards Restro-Mod cars and trucks.
I guess I don’t have enough money.
Driving anything that cost 400K would not be ‘fun’ for me unless it was on a closed track.

Last edited by colo63sw; 01-22-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaba
The market for cars is changing. The crowd has more younger buyers with different tastes. The younger generation, in more and more cases, doesn't have the technical knowledge and skills to repair the older cars. In my opinion, that's one of the reasons why these resto-mods are growing in appeal.
I think this is a valid point and what I too suspect is driving restomods higher. Wether it’s true, restomods are more reliable, or not could be debated. I believe it’s true as every time I get ready to start one of my original classics I cross my fingers.

Ed
Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by sbaba
That's the point I'm trying to make,
Old 01-22-2018, 03:26 PM
65-L78
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Doug
I have no doubt that on a Monday morning after BJ Scottsdale, there’s more than a few of those corvette resto mod buyers that are wondering what the hell they were thinking

Get notified of new replies

To C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!

Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Everyone has made some good points for both sides here in this thread.

The big thing everyone is forgetting is how many REAL buyers are there REALLY out there each year for old cars converted to modern technology that cost $150K and up? I know it is not affordable or of interest to me. It is just conversation to most of us here I think.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

The people buying them would have spent the money on a new McLaren/Lambo/Ferrari anyway and seen the same depreciation. At least with a C1 resto you are going to know which car is yours in the executive parking lot !
Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
I think this is a valid point and what I too suspect is driving restomods higher. Wether it’s true, restomods are more reliable, or not could be debated. I believe it’s true as every time I get ready to start one of my original classics I cross my fingers.

Ed
Ed, you need to dial your old cars in a bit better! All my 50+ year old cars with a stomp of the gas pedal and a twist of a key. They only car I have to cross my fingers on is my 1915, hand-crank -start Ford. It'll either fire right up in 1 or 2 flicks, or take an entire morning! I've had more issues with later model vehicles developing strange, intermittent issues that can be a real chore to diagnose and repair. Old carbureted V8's with points ignition? Piece of cake!

Quick Reply: C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!