C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:15 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I think my issue is I have several cars and there’s always something that needs to be fixed on one of them. It’s that love / hate relationship many of us have. Just this week I went out to drive my 69 Camaro and there was a puddle of antifreeze under the car. Radiator is at the shop being recored. My guess is if you asked all forum members to post their list of things to do on their cars each would have a few things.

Ed
Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sbaba
The younger generation, in more and more cases, doesn't have the technical knowledge and skills to repair the older cars. In my opinion, that's one of the reasons why these resto-mods are growing in appeal.
Most don't have the technical knowledge or skills to repair a new car , either. I don't recall seeing many Millennial, or even Gen X'rs wrenching on their 2012 cars in their driveways.

The guy that is capable of changing a throttle body is capable of changing a starter, or putting in a breakerless ignition or reading how to adjust points. Everything under the electronics, is the same as far as skill level goes.

Doug
Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65-L78
I have no doubt that on a Monday morning after BJ Scottsdale, there’s more than a few of those corvette resto mod buyers that are wondering what the hell they were thinking
I think so too...

After the next morning's hangover has passed, and the trophy wife wakes up beside you, bitchy, without all the makeup and you suddenly realize you dropped several hundred thou on a toy ..

I have to think that would be a sphincter-tightening realization.

Of course, if you're worth $75M then who cares ? I'm not...
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Ed, you need to dial your old cars in a bit better! All my 50+ year old cars with a stomp of the gas pedal and a twist of a key. They only car I have to cross my fingers on is my 1915, hand-crank -start Ford. It'll either fire right up in 1 or 2 flicks, or take an entire morning! I've had more issues with later model vehicles developing strange, intermittent issues that can be a real chore to diagnose and repair. Old carbureted V8's with points ignition? Piece of cake!
Abso-freakin'-loutely

Excuse the grunting getting in and out of the cars - I'm old and fat now
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
I think my issue is I have several cars and there’s always something that needs to be fixed on one of them. It’s that love / hate relationship many of us have. Just this week I went out to drive my 69 Camaro and there was a puddle of antifreeze under the car. Radiator is at the shop being recored. My guess is if you asked all forum members to post their list of things to do on their cars each would have a few things.

Ed
Buy the wrong restomod at auction and there will be a laundry list of repairs needed as well. I had an unfortunate situation two years ago where I accidentally bought a 59 Restomod. It took me two months to repair the issues and upgrade it so I could sell it and not lose my ***. If you are ever bidding online, never leave the bidding window open on your computer. My computer timed out and I double clicked to open the screen when I came back to see if my total was ready for the car I intended to and did purchase. When the screen opened it said “Bid accepted” for $105,000 plus commission. I didn’t even know what I had bid on until later. Thank god it was a 59 Corvette and that the bid wasn’t for more.

Last edited by 65silververt; 01-22-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

So I think this begs the question... generally speaking, are restomods more reliable than “original” cars?

Ed
Old 01-22-2018, 04:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller
So I think this begs the question... generally speaking, are restomods more reliable than “original” cars?

Ed
No.

Assuming an original car is not cobbled together with junkyard or FLAPS rebuilt parts, and correctly assembled. And the same applies to restoMod.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:49 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say how this happened. Did your computer bid on some other car because you double clicked reopening the screen and the '59 was up at that moment?

Doug

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Buy the wrong restomod at auction and there will be a laundry list of repairs needed as well. I had an unfortunate situation two years ago where I accidentally bought a 59 Restomod. It took me two months to repair the issues and upgrade it so I could sell it and not lose my ***. If you are ever bidding online, never leave the bidding window open on your computer. My computer timed out and I double clicked to open the screen when I came back to see if my total was ready for the car I intended to and did purchase. When the screen opened it said “Bid accepted” for $105,000 plus commission. I didn’t even know what I had bid on until later. Thank god it was a 59 Corvette and that the bid wasn’t for more.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:49 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Abso-freakin'-loutely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0g09nBqMw

Excuse the grunting getting in and out of the cars - I'm old and fat now
Man that involved a lot of work getting those old cars started

Last edited by SBR; 01-22-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
No.

Assuming an original car is not cobbled together with junkyard or FLAPS rebuilt parts, and correctly assembled. And the same applies to restoMod.

Doug
Doug, I see that term used a lot but don't know the true definition>
I assume it mean places like Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc?

Last edited by 68hemi; 01-22-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

What you'll see next year is a flood of thrown together cars to try to cash in on the bubble. That's where you can get stung. You can bet there are shops all over the country starting builds for next year.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Doug, I see that term used a lot but don't know the true definition>
I assume it mean places like Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc?
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.
Doug
Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say how this happened. Did your computer bid on some other car because you double clicked reopening the screen and the '59 was up at that moment?

Doug

Yes, that is correct. I bought a Shelby Mustang, which is the car I was after, then went to put my son to bed. I came back to the room about 45 minutes later and double clicked on the mouse to open the screen which had timed out. The pointer was still on the bid button from when I had purchased the Shelby and when i double clicked, it entered a bid. It was all timed just perfect, unfortunately. I watched it later on television and I could see the online bidder assistant throwing up her hands confused after my bid went in at the last second. Fortunately, the car turned out to have a really nice paint job and interior, but the bugs had not been worked out.

Anyway, i guess my initial point was that some people will rush to get the cars to auction and the cars will not be fully sorted out, or they just give up and know if they run the cars through an auction they will not have to deal with the buyer later on.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

On the plus side, my Resto ROD '61 with its BC/CC custom paint, mild mods, leather interior and big small block and mag wheels will have many uninformed people thinking I am driving a $400K car becuase they saw one "just like that" on B-J last week

Doug

Attachment 48351727

Name:  ui7fHFn.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  52.6 KB

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:14 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

On the plus side, my Resto ROD '61 with its BC/CC custom paint, mild mods, leather interior and big small block and mag wheels will have many uninformed people thinking I am driving a $400K car becuase they saw one "just like that" on B-J last week

Doug

Does look sharp though in that color and wheels.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:08 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default resto mods for future generations

I am 61 now and restored my first 61' back to factory . Poor steering , suspension , ride and comfort. But it was a classic. Above my generation seem to want that but you cant hardly find one with matching numbers anymore so factory original is almost impossible. The generation to come into the world of restoration do not want to arm wrestle a steering wheel and force a brake pedal down or crank up a window or in general " ride in a wheel barrow". They want electric and power everything with blue tooth . They are drawn to the classic look but are not willing to give up the comforts that come with a new car. As with every one of us that has a classic " to each his own". If someone wants to put a bench seat in a Corvette , do it. I don't agree with going that far but it is no different than choosing paint / interior color , manual or automatic etc. I am just glad that guys are bring them back to life and enjoying. By the way , the one I am doing now will have air - power windows , brakes , steering .
Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Doug

Hey Doug,

I hope my '62 is right up there with yours too!

I gotta be at least up there in the 250k range!

LOL...

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by SBR
Those cars were very nice and I love seeing the interest that they are generating. It's a great thing for the hobby.

The 67 435s that sold for 150 were either restamped, undocumented or had bad trim tags, poorly restored etc etc. Trust me on that. Very few of them have no issues. A real one sold for 583K last week in FLA and other lesser ones sold for in excess of 200K. I am hoping that the day will come where builders will be taking those bogus 435s and converting them into modern builds. I think that day is approaching.
Those would have to be rare 435's to sell for 500,000.00. BLACK/RED or L-89 or extremely low miles? I can see 200,000.00 to 250,000.00 for a nice fresh restored real papered NCRS TF Corvette.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by vdetel
I am 61 now and restored my first 61' back to factory . Poor steering , suspension , ride and comfort. But it was a classic. Above my generation seem to want that but you cant hardly find one with matching numbers anymore so factory original is almost impossible. The generation to come into the world of restoration do not want to arm wrestle a steering wheel and force a brake pedal down or crank up a window or in general " ride in a wheel barrow". They want electric and power everything with blue tooth . They are drawn to the classic look but are not willing to give up the comforts that come with a new car. As with every one of us that has a classic " to each his own". If someone wants to put a bench seat in a Corvette , do it. I don't agree with going that far but it is no different than choosing paint / interior color , manual or automatic etc. I am just glad that guys are bring them back to life and enjoying. By the way , the one I am doing now will have air - power windows , brakes , steering .
Yes, I agree with you 100% the new generation will love the modern restro-mods with ( all power & A/C, bluetooth etc.) I asked my son in his late 20's if he can drive a stick shift. He said what's that????
Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Yes, I agree with you 100% the new generation will love the modern restro-mods with ( all power & A/C, bluetooth etc.) I asked my son in his late 20's if he can drive a stick shift. He said what's that????
I agree as well, I would not own a early Corvette if it was not a restomod.

Quick Reply: C-1's Resto Mods on Fire at Barrett Jackson!!!