C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your Opinion On BJ Scottsdale C1&C2 SOLD Prices

Old 01-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Your Opinion On BJ Scottsdale C1&C2 SOLD Prices

Many classic car enthusiasts believe BJ Scottsdale sets the market pricing for the start of the new year. Now the Scottsdale action is in the books how do you feel the C1&C2 Corvette actual selling prices were compared the last few years - UP - DOWN -SAME??
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson
Many classic car enthusiasts believe BJ Scottsdale sets the market pricing for the start of the new year. Now the Scottsdale action is in the books how do you feel the C1&C2 Corvette actual selling prices were compared the last few years - UP - DOWN -SAME??
Neat discussion starter brother....We go to Scottsdale every year since about 2005....it is fun...if you are like us and like to see social dynamics and all that goes with that...I believe the auction there sets the "high standard" for classic cars...but not the average...its fun, relatively cool and yesterday was awsome for modified Corvettes....those fellas from Arkansas did great...not just at creating but also personalized marketing...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

My 2 cents. I think this year was the perfect storm. Economy doing great, future outlook for economy very good. The people that can afford these high end cars made big gains in stock market this year. I'm sure next year there will be a flood of C1 Restomods there and prices will be lower.
Here's a prime example. There is a father and son team from Hawaii that always bring a 62 Restomod. 2 years ago when I sold my yellow 54 they got 145k for their car. Last year they got 245k and this year 325k all 3 cars were basically same car. This was just a fluke year in my opinion. Don't get me wrong all the cars were very nice but they were all at the right place at the right time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brucebodyman:
Loren Smith (01-22-2018), SLWRNU (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Garby
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebodyman
My 2 cents. I think this year was the perfect storm. Economy doing great, future outlook for economy very good. The people that can afford these high end cars made big gains in stock market this year. I'm sure next year there will be a flood of C1 Restomods there and prices will be lower.
Here's a prime example. There is a father and son team from Hawaii that always bring a 62 Restomod. 2 years ago when I sold my yellow 54 they got 145k for their car. Last year they got 245k and this year 325k all 3 cars were basically same car. This was just a fluke year in my opinion. Don't get me wrong all the cars were very nice but they were all at the right place at the right time.
My thoughts exactly. I was stunned at some of the prices...restomods were going for unreal numbers. They were nice, yes, but the hammer prices were much more than I expected.

G
Old 01-28-2018, 07:50 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Garby
My thoughts exactly. I was stunned at some of the prices...restomods were going for unreal numbers. They were nice, yes, but the hammer prices were much more than I expected.

G
I was there as spectator..it was awesome... yes the state of the "economy" must have something to do with it....but the high end cars where great and ...its cool...especialy for those selling...
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Anybody that uses the Friday night/Saturday B-J prices as a gauge for the general market for the year are fools and are going to be buried in their purchase at like prices.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree that the economy has given this year's auction a boost. I would also state that the quality of the build is a tremendous factor. As was mentioned in another thread regarding Restomods, there is a huge difference between a Restomod that has 1000 hours of labor versus 3000 hours versus one that is gunning for a Ridler Award. The difference may not be visible on TV but in person, the differences are huge. Fit and finish, quality of materials and all of the little details do come through for those FEW that stand out.

With the flood of Restomods coming next year from builders looking to cash in - remember that throwing together a Corvette with a new LS and disk brakes does NOT constitute a high end build. Even with alcohol flowing in the room, people will be able to distinguish the jewelry from the junk.
The following users liked this post:
Big Hit (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

What about STOCK c1/c2 hammer prices? How did they do this year?
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

those prices happen there..the real world, forums, ebay, and cl not. Booze & ego figure in those auctions heavily those guys dont care if they overpay.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
...(snip)...I believe the auction there sets the "high standard" for classic cars...but not the average...
BJ Scottsdale sets the "upper limit". I think Mecum auctions establish a more reasonable "average" range of prices. Just my $0.02 worth. Bill
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
I agree that the economy has given this year's auction a boost. I would also state that the quality of the build is a tremendous factor. As was mentioned in another thread regarding Restomods, there is a huge difference between a Restomod that has 1000 hours of labor versus 3000 hours versus one that is gunning for a Ridler Award. The difference may not be visible on TV but in person, the differences are huge. Fit and finish, quality of materials and all of the little details do come through for those FEW that stand out.

With the flood of Restomods coming next year from builders looking to cash in - remember that throwing together a Corvette with a new LS and disk brakes does NOT constitute a high end build. Even with alcohol flowing in the room, people will be able to distinguish the jewelry from the junk.
If a build has 3000 hours of labor even at a reasonable figure of $50.00 per hour, that's $150,000 just in labor. I would think a car like that would have $150,000 in materials and donor car. You got to get 300K!

Get notified of new replies

To Your Opinion On BJ Scottsdale C1&C2 SOLD Prices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your Opinion On BJ Scottsdale C1&C2 SOLD Prices