C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tom's Gears - sad news

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default Tom's Gears - sad news

Just wanted to pass on some sad information...

Tom of Tom's Gears passed away last week.

Tom's wife Joanne is still running the store, but I suspect that there will not be any more of "Toms Gears" once the current stock runs out.

Tom had his gears made to his specifications; one of the many reasons he was the best in the business.

I don't know what the future will hold, but if you were thinking about ordering some of Tom's Gears, I suggest calling immediately.

Be patient when calling, Joanne is dealing with a lot of stuff right now. It seems to me that the middle of the day is the best time to call.

Tom's Gears, Idaho 208-265-8111.

https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/

Rest in Peace Tom, and thoughts and prayers for his family.
The following 4 users liked this post by emccomas:
63Corvette (02-03-2018), jimgessner (02-09-2018), TCracingCA (01-31-2018), Westlotorn (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
JRRHINO
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

His youtube vids will live on in his honor....great stuff there.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:20 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

WOW, dang, sorry to hear that. RIP Tom.
In my earlier days working on the 57-64 style posi units, he provided me with some information that NO ONE else has ever done----------------nor probably never knew about.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Damn! Me and him have had some great conversations about the old days! I just bought a 3rd complete Super 10 from him and his last set of 4340 Axles for 1480s!

We go way back to the mid-70s or maybe earlier with him and Pepe! I just bought some Billet 1350 flanges last month!

Him and his Wife wanted to just jump in the Motorhome and travel! Sad!

RIP Tom, you and my Father both ran together at Lions Drag Strip back in the heyday!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-31-2018 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimgessner (02-09-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

Tom is riding with Zeus now, and teaching him the tricks of the trade. They were a good team when I visited the shop when it was in Paramount long ago.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Follow up

I sure liked his stuff. This is brand new stuff (12 bolt have had it forever, and the Super 10 is a second unit I just bought, in case the one in my race car ever comes apart.

I transferred this over from the under the Christmas tree thread! You can see I had the Super 10 posi on a lathe, but haven't started contouring the windows etc yet toward polishing!

On the 12 bolt set up, I was grinding to polish the old fashion way, but only started that! Some pieces aren't in the picture!

"""

In the back is the 12-Bolt Conversion with the last set sold from Tom's of true 4340 steel 30 spline inner & outer Axles in 1480 u-joint size! Going in my C2 Racer!

The front unit is a Super 10-Bolt with 30 spline inner and outer Axles in 1350 u-joint size and I have the Billet bolt on u-joint plates, but forgot to show those here! Going in my C3 Autocross car!

Well actually I have one 1480 and a 1350 in the front and back of each in the picture!

I already have another Super 10 in the race car, but moving that into a 3rd C2 Slalom car I have!

Heat treated spiders, and special crossshafts, etc., All drilled for 1/2 inch long studs!

A Virgin never used 1972 4-series case for the 12-bolt!

The sign is the actual shop rate sign out of Guldstrands second to last shop!

Hope everyone else can add more cool stuff to your rides! """" I thank Tom for selling me all of this cool stuff that makes cars like ours, way better than stock! And him over the years being an acquaintance.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-31-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:35 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Never met him but I've learned some helpful stuff from his youtube videos. I hated to hear he was retiring, but I hoped that he would have a good long retirement and perhaps show the ropes to someone who would carry on his business.

Lotta talent and experience gone with him.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Never met him but I've learned some helpful stuff from his youtube videos. I hated to hear he was retiring, but I hoped that he would have a good long retirement and perhaps show the ropes to someone who would carry on his business.

Lotta talent and experience gone with him.
A few of us know everything there is to know about how these get built. What will be missed, is the machining and availability of these unique pieces. I have every Corvette part, he has ever sold.
If someone needs help, some of the C3 crowd and myself could help with some pointers, but I am kind of retired from C2 & technically C3 forums now. Because I don't know crap about Corvettes according to some on here, I am almost exclusively just a CF PRC guy now, who might visit occasionally. I just come on when something I like is super interesting, or to talk suspensions, or unfortunately when an acquaintance passes on! Here lately, losing a bunch of them. One of my favorite interesting guys to talk with was Don Nichols of UOP Shadow fame, he also passed. I picked his brain for stories extensively.

With Tom, he got his start street racing, and did some drag strip stuff. I think he had a modified 54 Chevrolet. The story he told was that he broke the rear end on it racing. He went to get it fixed and didn't have the money! Pepe Estrada saw something in him, and hired him to work off what he owed, and that turned into an apprenticeship and a career. He took over Pepe's business there in Paramount on Paramount just north of the 91 Freeway, and then after years and years, moved the operation to Idaho, selling his old store front to the Gear Shop guys, who are still there.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-31-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

RIP Tom.

You made excellent parts and helped us all use our cars to the limits.

I've had my Tom's outer stubs for about 15 years now and they've never let me down no matter what I did to them!

Thank You!!

JIM
Attached Images   

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 01-31-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Sorry to hear that. RIP Tom.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Yes sad to see him go. He will be missed by many people, myself included. I had a good relationship with him and bought 100's of his gears and parts. I still have some stock of the now long gone 10-17x 30 HT spiders and axles.

I spoke with him many times about selling his business and retiring in his motor home. I was expecting to see him show up at my door with it in fact. I know the past few months were very hard on him and the last I spoke with Tom was in early November, 2017. I would have liked to have made the trip to the mountains to visit him but never got the chance.

There have been a lot of discussions on many forums about the future of the hobby lately. Everyone has an opinion of what will be happening I look at where the long time suppliers are today- many have sold and retired while others like Tom, Tom Reina, Pat Ikerd, etc are gone now. Tom told me in Nov the gears from US Gear will no longer be 5 cut as they always were and the same GM was, they are going to 2 cut like all the others. 2 cut cost less to make, increase profit but setup up differently with completely different pattern. Parts are changing and so are the times like it or not. Resto mods are hot and expensive now, NCRS cars have cooled down on many years.

Just a note. Tom sold the posi's at different build levels, his top of the line was named BOE = Best of everything in them. The Super 10 name is one I came up with for a specific 10 bolt HP differential build years ago using a lot of Tom's parts and my other modifications. The name of the build was picked up by others for their own personal gain while not following the same build procedure. Those looking for a real Super 10 should do their homework well.

RIP old friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTR1999:
71scgc (02-10-2018), bmans vette (03-08-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Sad news rip my friend. Thank you for your contributions.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:25 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Yes sad to see him go. He will be missed by many people, myself included. I had a good relationship with him and bought 100's of his gears and parts. I still have some stock of the now long gone 10-17x 30 HT spiders and axles.

I spoke with him many times about selling his business and retiring in his motor home. I was expecting to see him show up at my door with it in fact. I know the past few months were very hard on him and the last I spoke with Tom was in early November, 2017. I would have liked to have made the trip to the mountains to visit him but never got the chance.

There have been a lot of discussions on many forums about the future of the hobby lately. Everyone has an opinion of what will be happening I look at where the long time suppliers are today- many have sold and retired while others like Tom, Tom Reina, Pat Ikerd, etc are gone now. Tom told me in Nov the gears from US Gear will no longer be 5 cut as they always were and the same GM was, they are going to 2 cut like all the others. 2 cut cost less to make, increase profit but setup up differently with completely different pattern. Parts are changing and so are the times like it or not. Resto mods are hot and expensive now, NCRS cars have cooled down on many years.

Just a note. Tom sold the posi's at different build levels, his top of the line was named BOE = Best of everything in them. The Super 10 name is one I came up with for a specific 10 bolt HP differential build years ago using a lot of Tom's parts and my other modifications. The name of the build was picked up by others for their own personal gain while not following the same build procedure. Those looking for a real Super 10 should do their homework well.

RIP old friend.
Great idea to coin that term! Super 10 nails it (this includes polishing the cage and radiusing the posi cage windows etc., the deburr of the gears, install to close tolerance and tuning of the clutch packs without springs, the better quality crossshafts, the upgrade to c-clip Retention of the Axles, the mill of the surface and drilling thru of the crossshaft bolt, the treating of the parts (Cyro or heat), 30-spline, flanged Axles, steel cap, fitting a pinion sleeve or shimming instead of using a crunch sleeve, the upgraded hardware, etc etc etc etc. Tom never called it a Super 10, and in his catalog, true he called it a B.O.E. At the end, he stopped offering BOE builds! When I wanted another one of these, he did not have any Posi cases machined for the 30 Spline units and he did two final units for me Special and one other customer (sent them out to get the last two machined)! I feel it was an honor to have him take that extra step for me his customer! He said you want one, done deal and without hesitation cleaned up a pristine unit and sent it out! I don't share too many pictures of my personal cars, but I sent him those for a trip down nostalgic lane! He remembered my Father's cars, but he doesn't know mine! That spurred the best nostalgic conversation about Tom's street racing escapades! The story about his Mother not knowing he saved up to get a Hot Rod etc.

GTR1999 is one of the guys that does things right! Great idea, coming up with the idea of calling a proper built unit a "Super 10". I write histories on Corvette stuff for my own personal self! On here, I have shared down and dirty info on everything from Histories about Traco, Bartz, Chaparral and Jim Hall, Guldstrand, Smokey Yunick, McLaren, Penske, and a lot of other stuff, so I am now working on a bio about Tom, just for my Great Car guy list of people related to our hobby! But stupid me, I was sitting in a gas station lot on Florence and Lakewood during that long last conversation with him, and usually I have a pen and write stuff into note form, when I get such an opportunity! Now I am scrambling to remember an hour and forty-five minute conversation, where Tom walked thru his life from memory, just as an enthusiast enjoying telling someone about himself! When he was done and absolutely had to get back to work, he asked me what size T-Shirt I wear and told me he forgot to throw one free, in with my 10 Bolt Parts order!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (03-08-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:21 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

TC- My last dealing with Tom was about last Oct, I was building a 1480 12 bolt and I prefer to machine my own 12 bolt cases since the shop Tom used is, well lets say sloppy. The guy I built the 12 bolt for purchased the parts from Tom and was given a machined posi case rather then a new bare case as I requested. After I checked it I found it was no good, new but wrecked by that shop. I called Tom and he sent me 2 new unmachined cases, one for the build I was doing and one for him so he knew he had a properly machined one. I have a Master I machine them to so they all dial in where I want them. Tom was happy as was I. That is how we worked together. About the same time he sent me a new billet 1330 pinion yoke for inspection and review. I made one minor adjustment to it and he made the notation, I don't know if those made it into production or not but I have one here. He extended me unlimited credit and in turn I paid him the day the parts arrived - Old school business that is fading away as fast as the honest old timers are today. I will miss him.

You have a nice collection of parts there. I have used them all many, many times and all held up fine. The most power applied to them in one of my builds was 950hp at the flywheel, although I am speaking with someone now talking 1000hp. That's starting to push the window but then I have a couple of guys using my cryo'd super10's,(the real ones), in the 700hp range- which is not what I recommended but they have held up so far. One of the keys to that is Tom's parts. Looks like you have his 10-17x 30 HT spiders too, good those are long gone now so you have an investment there if you decide to sell. I have some NOS stashed away as well along with 30 spline hardened and cryo'd axles. Good luck with your build, there aren't going to be many of those left soon enough.

RIP old friend.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:37 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I do remember for a period, some of his stuff was not in stock due to needing to find a new Machinist! I didn't hear that from Tom! My 12 bolt was bought back in the 90s! I have had it lying around waiting in case the Tom's unit in the race car failed! I have had three engines ranging from 450hp to 525hp and regardless of what I have done, it keeps on ticking, so haven't needed the 12 unit yet! I am now stepping up to the roughly 650 hp range and got it out finally and for the photo op! I am just a pure enthusiast, no shop, no commercial related endeavors related to fast Corvettes! Ours are just home built personal cars!

I am thinking the last Machining was done by a different guy, because Tom was pretty particular about his parts! I talked to him about like the Aluminum Cases and he just got too busy to rework the design! I wanted some of his aluminum rear bearing supports, but that idea was right when he had machinist problems! I really wanted those, to put in my two rear multi-link suspensions (Guldstrand not so much so because it has aluminum uprights, but in the CVC Apex/Greenwood design cut stock arm setup! I just might with CAD and CNC or 3D printing pattern, make some! I asked Tom if he had the prototypes of the aluminum case and the planned bearing supports and offered to purchase those, but it wasn't a good subject that he wanted to discuss!

I have not dimensional check the 30 spline 10 bolt case, There isn't that much that they need to do for those, so I can't imagine what could get screwed up! I know your builds are precision where you perfectly true up surfaces and such! At approaching 800-950hp, you are adding insurance by your extra attention to detail! You would probably disagree with me, but 450 hp build to about the 650 hp level and what he sells as is over the counter machining and all is probably adequate, but still needs to be checked! I worked some more on my Posi case polishing! I am a perfectionist on stuff like that! You ought to see my profiled connecting rods! So I still have that new 10 bolt Posi cage out and sitting next to the Livingroom sofa with the dremel. I probably should double check it! I bought that alone for $430. I did inspect it for any sign of cracks and I am good. There is one casting imperfection that is close to the narrowest part between the crossshaft hole that I have radiused and the window area that has me bothered, but it is in the meat, so I am going to radius and smooth that also!

I do need to get a ring and pinion gear gear set for that! I was going to buy one next from probably Tom! In one car I installed a heat treated Richmond unit with to date no problems! I know Tom sold US Gear units! His units were less expensive than the Richmond that I previously bought!

And I will think of you, if I get in over my head! I have built my own engines and had a guy that I helped with engines, that was a gear guy! So in trade, I just dropped off Transmissions and Rear ends and I helped back with engines! So I am by choice, not a gear guy, but I pay attention! I don't have the tools for like guiding the ring when pressing on, to line up with the holes! I am sure with my press, I can get creative and make or do a set up, to get that done! For Transmissions, I don't have the tools to tackle those!

And just maybe I have your unit! That was at about the same time I ordered mine! He said he was going to have one machined for me! He first mentioned that he would probably get a couple done, but then said he would get me one! I could see him not needing that Master! He might have sold that to me! The turn around time was very short! And my bad, the 12 bolt has that casting flaw, not the 10 bolt!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-02-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And just a quick followup...

I ordered a set of 3.36 gears, and a set of 3.55 gears (still trying to decide which I will use) from Joanne (Tom's wife).

They are boxed and marked as "Toms Differentials".

I am able to confirm that both sets of gears are 5 cut gears, which is what I was hoping for.

Tom had some of the best gears in the business, but I suspect that once the current stock is depleted, that will be it.

If you are even thinking you might need a set of gears, now is the time to do it.

The cost per gear set was $277 (plus shipping).

Get notified of new replies

To Tom's Gears - sad news

Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv04
And just a quick followup...

I ordered a set of 3.36 gears, and a set of 3.55 gears (still trying to decide which I will use) from Joanne (Tom's wife).

They are boxed and marked as "Toms Differentials".

I am able to confirm that both sets of gears are 5 cut gears, which is what I was hoping for.

Tom had some of the best gears in the business, but I suspect that once the current stock is depleted, that will be it.

If you are even thinking you might need a set of gears, now is the time to do it.

The cost per gear set was $277 (plus shipping).
They have I think over 20 sets each of the US Gear 3.55 and 3.73. They are running out of axle ground down C-clips, they are out of anything 17 spline in axles, they do have 30 spline axles, but no more 4340 units! No more 30 spline machined cases, the have some of the heavy duty halfshafts! If I talk with them anymore, I will find out what else might be left!

Lesli is there helping her!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

They have I think over 20 sets each of the US Gear 3.55 and 3.73. They are running out of axle ground down C-clips, they are out of anything 17 spline in axles, they do have 30 spline axles, but no more 4340 units! No more 30 spline machined cases, the have some of the heavy duty halfshafts! If I talk with them anymore, I will find out what else might be left!

Lesli is there helping her!
But be sure what you are ordering. My information is that they are out of 5 cut US Gears manufactured 3.73 gears. The 3.73 gears are now 2 cut gears. I don't if that is accurate, just what I have been told.

They are also out of 3.55 US Gears ring and pinion sets for 55-64 Chevrolet (and 56-62 Corvette) differentials. They could not fill my order for those gears.

They still have Richmond gears (US made) in 3.55 ratio, but I was advised against them.

Jo (Tom's wife) is still running the business, and I have found that the best time to call is around the middle of the day (noon to 1:00 pm or so).

Last edited by emccomas; 02-09-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv04
But be sure what you are ordering. My information is that they are out of 5 cut US Gears manufactured 3.73 gears. The 3.73 gears are now 2 cut gears. I don't if that is accurate, just what I have been told.

They are also out of 3.55 US Gears ring and pinion sets for 55-64 Chevrolet (and 56-62 Corvette) differentials. They could not fill my order for those gears.

They still have Richmond gears (US made) in 3.55 ratio, but I was advised against them.

Jo (Tom's wife) is still running the business, and I have found that the best time to call is around the middle of the day (noon to 1:00 pm or so).
Basically if the set shows up and it is two cut, then I am still in the same boat looking for higher end set! For the low dollar cost, not too worried, as I can flip them to the stock guy crowd!

Thanks for for watching my back! I have did OK with the Richmond stuff, but that was more back in the day and I am pretty sure I did a special heat treating on those!

Quick Reply: Tom's Gears - sad news