C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tom's Gears - sad news

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:07 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

Basically if the set shows up and it is two cut, then I am still in the same boat looking for higher end set! For the low dollar cost, not too worried, as I can flip them to the stock guy crowd!

Thanks for for watching my back! I have did OK with the Richmond stuff, but that was more back in the day and I am pretty sure I did a special heat treating on those!
One of the gear gurus told me recently that he got a set of the US manufactured 3.55 gears, and they howled like crazy.

I seem to recall reading something about the number of the teeth being changed on 3.55 gears to reduce noise issues.

The 3.55 5 cut gears that I just received are 11 pinion and 39 ring. The 3.36 5 cut gears are 11 pinion and 37 ring.

I am almost definitely going to change the rear to 3.36 when it gets rebuilt.

Last edited by emccomas; 02-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TCracingCA (03-07-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:26 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
One of the gear gurus told me recently that he got a set of the US manufactured 3.55 gears, and they howled like crazy.

I seem to recall reading something about the number of the teeth being changed on 3.55 gears to reduce noise issues.

The 3.55 5 cut gears that I just received are 11 pinion and 39 ring. The 3.36 5 cut gears are 11 pinion and 37 ring.

I am almost definitely going to change the rear to 3.36 when it gets rebuilt.
i have the 3.73 set for the 12-Bolt in the picture I showed! Those were special made! That is going in my hot car! I have a 6 speed going back in that car!

I did not not have a new Ring & Pinion for the newer just bought Tom's 10 bolt, so I bought a 3.73 on Monday. Tom' wife (bless her heart) is struggling to get everyone stuff they need, so I didn't want to cause her to lose time on me and my order! I am used to noisy, as I have a Rock crusher in one car, a gear drive in another car and headers on two of the four cars!

i assume the extra attention to the gear cut is strength and noise reduction!

Thanks

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-09-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

i have the 3.73 set for the 12-Bolt in the picture I showed! Those were special made! That is going in my hot car! I have a 6 speed going back in that car!

I did not not have a new Ring & Pinion for the newer just bought Tom's 10 bolt, so I bought a 3.73 on Monday. Tom' wife (bless her heart) is struggling to get everyone stuff they need, so I didn't want to cause her to lose time on me and my order! I am used to noisy, as I have a Rock crusher in one car, a gear drive in another car and headers on two of the four cars!

i assume the extra attention to the gear cut is strength and noise reduction!

Thanks
I concur completely on your comments about Jo (Tom's wife). She is doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

IO assume the 3.73 that you bought were for a C2/C3 Corvette differential.

I will be real interested in finding out if what you get are two cut or 5 cut gears.

Tom told another purchaser that he was sold out of 5 cut 3.73 US Gears sets about a year ago or so (as I recall).

If it turns out that you end up with 5 cut gears, I will probably order a set for myself.

I am sort of anticipating the day when I have a 5 speed (overdrive) installed in the 64.

Can you confirm that the part number for the ring and pinion that you ordered was U10V-3.73?
TCracingCA (03-07-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv04
I concur completely on your comments about Jo (Tom's wife). She is doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

IO assume the 3.73 that you bought were for a C2/C3 Corvette differential.

I will be real interested in finding out if what you get are two cut or 5 cut gears.

Tom told another purchaser that he was sold out of 5 cut 3.73 US Gears sets about a year ago or so (as I recall).

If it turns out that you end up with 5 cut gears, I will probably order a set for myself.

I am sort of anticipating the day when I have a 5 speed (overdrive) installed in the 64.

Can you confirm that the part number for the ring and pinion that you ordered was U10V-3.73?
Yes that is the part number!

The Richmond I bought was one of their special HD units! The 2nd thru 5th mimic a Muncie close ratio box! The Richmond’s that I selected for 2-5 are 2.22, 1.57, 1.24, 1.00). This I essentially have an M21/M22 in the car. For the 6th gear I selected a high torque capable (not really an overdrive unit) of .80. That is a unit designated as Special Heavy Duty 9 DP Road Race Gear Sets (this Gear also is far stronger, but the disclaimer says will produce more Gear noise than the standard gear sets! They also have one other HD gear for 6th in .84. If you select one of these gears, they stamp the case HD! The standard 6th gears are .52, .55, .59, .62, .76, .81, .86, and .91. On my first since I am sticking to 10 inch rims to be whatever class legal, if I ever decide to come out of my private Road Racing Canyon to play with the Corvette big boys, is a 3.04, as the car can totally roast off any tires in first gear! I love the Long Mfg. shifter set up! That thing alone with Heim links now runs about $700 or more and is a work of art! I did buy a short shifter to mimic the C2 config. I don’t know how I stack up against what I perceive is the aftermarket favorite Tremecs and Keisler units.
And ps- I haven’t done anything but cut the basic size of it, and I want to gold plate it just for the hell of it, but I was going to mill a Ferrari style shifter gate, that I can install to lock out 1st and 6th, so the fellow racers can’t whine and cry!

I will let you know what I get! I had it shipped to my Brother, who can see with his Security whether A fly landed on his porch! I will have to do the Brother bonding thing (and listen to Porsche talk for hours), when I go pick it up!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-09-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Here is the ring and pinion from Tom's (3.73 unit). Looks like a 2 cut gear to me, unless I am missing something.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-16-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Here is the ring and pinion from Tom's (3.73 unit). Looks like a 2 cut gear to me, unless I am missing something.

Heel is deeper than toe. Looks like a 5 cut gear.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 02-16-2018 at 05:27 PM.
TCracingCA (03-07-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Heel is deeper than toe. Looks like a 5 cut gear.
Cool thanks. I actually didn't know what the difference was with a 5 cut, so I was looking for 5 machining operations! I learned something today. Thanks and much appreciated.

JV04 wanted a 5 cut, so a good chance that they still have them. Cool.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-16-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

look at the date on the box as well. I just got in 336s and they were 5 cut but they only had one set left of 336's so if anyone wants them you better call, try tomorrow. The last time I spoke with Tom he told me they were going to 2 cut and he wasn't pleased with that. Maybe he never ordered them and the stock now is still 5 cut. The price will skyrocket once they are gone and 2 cut are coming in from the other suppliers.
TCracingCA (03-07-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Cool I picked my Tom's Differential Corvette Ring and Pinion up from my brother last night and he is at the moment into the Gun collection, getting optics, picatinny rail quick disconnects, etc., but Porsche talk did happen as we are going to:

The cool LAX Airport Hilton Memorabilia, Clean parts, and Literature indoor convention room Porsche mostly and some VW tables full of stuff swap on March 1st! Let see over the years have seen Leno, Seinfeld, Garreston, Redman, Elford, P. Hill, and a slew of others there! Fun talking to such guys as I paw racing stuff! The following day is the Anaheim Phoenix Club Porsche outdoor dirty parts and indoor vendor swap meet and the grounds are full of enthusiast cars! We have taken our 300+ hp IMSA leveled engined 1967 911S, and our 1978 911 Turbo, with the 934 unit and mega boost to the 2012 &2013 shows! My brother is stalled on his full race 1973 Porsche RSR build and we have made progress on the 1969 Beach Racing MK-5C Formula 2 Car with Porsche Flat-6 2.4 liter engine that no one knows about yet, that we hope to unveil at the following years show. Need to talk to the Porsche Performance Center in Carson, CA across from the Goodyear Blimp as to using their track to get the bugs out of the Formula car and see if they want to participate in showing it next year. The Friday and Saturday many many of the Porsche shops open there doors for visitors, and some feed you! Then in April, it is the big Luftgekuhlt show, location undetermined at the moment! The displays were unbelievable with like the 1973 Can Am Penske/Donohue 917/30 and many factory racers and famous cars on display and well as enthusiast cars by the gzillion while you drink German beer! Therefore while picking up this fancy Corvette gear set I showed, I did not escape without Porsche talk!

PS SoCal car culture is still alive and kicking! I kind of would like some Corvette people to go see these, because these events are an example of what us Corvette guys should be doing Annually!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Tom's Differentials
2nd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This community is amazing and you have all been extremely supportive. We will continue to do our best to bring you the quality that you are used to getting from Tom's.

We are currently in the process of computerizing our inventory system as well as streamlining our ordering process. This must be done before we begin ordering parts that have went out of stock, so please bear with us.

We miss Tom and his technical advice, as I am sure some of you do as well, so please feel free to check his YouTube videos for information.

Thank you so much for the well wishes,
Tom's family at Tom's Differentials
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom's Differentials:
63 340HP (03-07-2018), GTR1999 (03-07-2018), new vette 62 (03-07-2018), TCracingCA (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom's Differentials
This community is amazing and you have all been extremely supportive. We will continue to do our best to bring you the quality that you are used to getting from Tom's.

We are currently in the process of computerizing our inventory system as well as streamlining our ordering process. This must be done before we begin ordering parts that have went out of stock, so please bear with us.

We miss Tom and his technical advice, as I am sure some of you do as well, so please feel free to check his YouTube videos for information.

Thank you so much for the well wishes,
Tom's family at Tom's Differentials
Thanks for coming on and updating us! Other than the four Corvettes in the family I have tried to supply with your parts, I didn't quite get to my Muscle cars! Next project I have nearing completion is a 1965 Elco, that I was thinking of changing to a Dana 60!

You guys did great for all of my Corvette Diff dreams! We have two 12 bolt setups and one BOE 10 bolt and one 10 Bolt getting a super-10 build using your parts!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-07-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tom's Gear

I did a lot of looking when I did the frame off for all of the parts I needed. I used a lot of information from here and other places. Tom's name came up and I called him, he had great information and I bought my gears, posi case from him. He also told me where to get the shims to adjust the bearings and what ratio he recommended for what I was going to do to the car. He was a wealth of information.
RIP. Good luck to his wife and the business.

Quick Reply: Tom's Gears - sad news