C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Posting a follow up when you get help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Default Posting a follow up when you get help.

I just looked back at my old posts and more than half the people who post on the forum (some in a panic asking for help) never come back to say whether they found the problem. We have no idea if the advice fixed the problem or if they gave up. That doesn't help anyone searching for help with the same or similar issues.
If you want to do your part to help keep these old cars running and working properly, take a few seconds to post back "that was it" or "nope, tried it and it didn't work".
And for the same reason, title your posts with what the issue is and include the year of the car. "Help", or "Need Advice", or "65 Corvette" doesn't attract the people who may have experienced the same problem and know the answer to your problem nearly as much as "65 Corvette brake lights don't work" or "66 Misses under load", etc..
The following 15 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
59BlueSilver (02-02-2018), capevettes (02-05-2018), DAN70 (02-02-2018), dkleather (02-02-2018), DUB (02-04-2018), Easy Rhino (02-02-2018), hedgehead (02-02-2018), jon c (02-02-2018), leif.anderson93 (02-02-2018), Mike Geary (02-02-2018), Oaker57 (02-02-2018), Randy G. (02-03-2018), Ronnie Ronquillo (11-01-2020), SWC Tim (02-02-2018), warrenmj (02-02-2018) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

That^ should be a sticky! Very frustrating to search for an issue, find it, but there is no resolution posted.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

A closing reply is also common courtesy - a commodity sorely lacking in modern day communication.
The following 4 users liked this post by ejboyd5:
69427 (02-02-2018), DUB (02-04-2018), GTOguy (02-02-2018), leif.anderson93 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

The people who need to read this thread won't. I'm reminded of the 50 year old woman at the grocery store who leaves her cart blocking access to the conveyor belt while she writes out her check, and then walks off leaving the cart behind. Not everyone is aware of the help others provide or the burden they sometimes place on others. And in my experience, they sometimes get testy when people suggest they be more aware and considerate.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Sometimes the issue is never resolved or it takes along time for that closure.
The OP can post a "Thanks" which implies that the suggestion was appreciated and helped to solve the issue.
In addition, there is often a scolding waiting for someone who resurrects an old thread. That may dissuade the OP from posting whether the issue was ever resolved.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Sometimes the issue is never resolved or it takes along time for that closure.
The OP can post a "Thanks" which implies that the suggestion was appreciated and helped to solve the issue.
In addition, there is often a scolding waiting for someone who resurrects an old thread. That may dissuade the OP from posting whether the issue was ever resolved.
And, I've never understood the mentality about this. If you ask a question without searching first, you're going to get chastised by someone. If you search and find a similar thread, and resurrect that thread, you're chastised for opening up a "five year old thread". No win situation
The following users liked this post:
DUB (02-04-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I've never been criticized for coming back to a thread I started months earlier and posting an update on how things turned out. .... The biggest problem I've seen when resurrecting someone else's old thread on a issue I'd like to now address is that people read the five year old opening post and jump to giving advice to someone who hasn't been around for years. Many seem more interested in adding their comments than seeing what has already been discussed in the thread.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:21 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I agree. It is good to search for your issue, and see if the old threads you find answer your question. But, there is no need to provide your very insightful answer to a question that was posed when GHWBush was President. And, personally I don't care if someone posts up a postscript to some issue that was previously discussed or not. Many who pop into the forum on an infrequent basis to research some issue are not going to think about coming back to enter a postscript summation of their results. Most of us who provide advice know whether our methods will work or not. No F/U feedback is needed. A simple thanks for the help is more than sufficient (when we can get it).
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Changed up the avatar Don...I like it!!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:29 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Thanks Leif! I like white!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Early66L72
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I agree. It is good to search for your issue, and see if the old threads you find answer your question. But, there is no need to provide your very insightful answer to a question that was posed when GHWBush was President. And, personally I don't care if someone posts up a postscript to some issue that was previously discussed or not. Many who pop into the forum on an infrequent basis to research some issue are not going to think about coming back to enter a postscript summation of their results. Most of us who provide advice know whether our methods will work or not. No F/U feedback is needed. A simple thanks for the help is more than sufficient (when we can get it).
appreciate the help here. i try and educate myself before i ask (so i don't look to stupid) making the headline more specific helps in the search process. Thanks again Jack for your help. that was two weeks of frustration.

thanks jcw
Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Early66L72
appreciate the help here. i try and educate myself before i ask (so i don't look to stupid) making the headline more specific helps in the search process. Thanks again Jack for your help. that was two weeks of frustration.

thanks jcw
No problem, I'm just glad you stuck with it and then posted the follow up resolution.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
And, I've never understood the mentality about this. If you ask a question without searching first, you're going to get chastised by someone. If you search and find a similar thread, and resurrect that thread, you're chastised for opening up a "five year old thread". No win situation
I've had this same problem when bringing up an old thread.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I just looked back at my old posts and more than half the people who post on the forum (some in a panic asking for help) never come back to say whether they found the problem. We have no idea if the advice fixed the problem or if they gave up. That doesn't help anyone searching for help with the same or similar issues.
If you want to do your part to help keep these old cars running and working properly, take a few seconds to post back "that was it" or "nope, tried it and it didn't work".
And for the same reason, title your posts with what the issue is and include the year of the car. "Help", or "Need Advice", or "65 Corvette" doesn't attract the people who may have experienced the same problem and know the answer to your problem nearly as much as "65 Corvette brake lights don't work" or "66 Misses under load", etc..
AGREE. I look at asking a question or for advice on CF as a PRIVILEGE. Most all replies are very detailed, correct and much thought put into the response. The wealth of information is astounding and readily attainable if your guestion is clear and provides the pertinent facts and supporting information. A THANK YOU for a response is appreciated by all. Providing an “after action report” goes a long way to document your problems resolve for future CF Archival inquiries on the subject.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DSR
I've had this same problem when bringing up an old thread.
First off, who cares if someone chastises you. It's only words.

Second, if you didn't get the answer in an old thread, why open it back up. Start a new thread with your question and if there's something in the old thread you want someone to reference, post a link to it. Opening a new thread will get you more pertinent answers to YOUR issue and not involve a bunch of people going back trying to answer the original question without noticing it was 10 years old. It's to your benefit to get new information, things may have changed since tho old thread.
jon c (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by kellsdad
The people who need to read this thread won't. I'm reminded of the 50 year old woman at the grocery store who leaves her cart blocking access to the conveyor belt while she writes out her check, and then walks off leaving the cart behind. Not everyone is aware of the help others provide or the burden they sometimes place on others. And in my experience, they sometimes get testy when people suggest they be more aware and considerate.
w/this. Some people just "don't get it", and are oblivious to what others around them are doing, or have done, even if it benefited them. To suggest a thank you, or a summation of what happened, or how it turned out, or at least the current state of affairs, if the problem has now morphed into an "I'll get to it one of these days" situation, is probably too much to ask of some people. People don't change; they won't be giving a follow up anytime soon.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

You know there's a bunch of ways to look at this. Some responses are general and it opens a door for a quick repair.
Some, and I'll only mention a fraction, like Joe Lucia, Duke, John Z, and to many others to name have devoted time to solving problems, some small and some beyond the manual.
Personally when I see that someone takes the time to take a pic, look in the book, and/or take the time to share their work expertice, I admire that and want to give em all a thanks on the forum. They take the time to put a fire out that would take hours to look up. Lazy, NO, new people on the forum that can answer.
Sometimes we need a quick answer and looking it up can take us away from fixing the problem. If we have time to spend looking it up works, not always because we move on with the times with tools and knowledge.
My but has been saved in a few minuets when I walked over to the computer and posted. I was already exhausted and had my eyes opened as to where to go.
Always nice to know that there are experts in ALL areas of our hobby that will give their time to help! I can take the time to say THANK's.

Dom
silver837 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Hello to all who read this.

I can 'say' that I know I do not know everything. But I feel I am lucky in being able to know those people that I know ...know more than I do in many areas of Corvette repair. Such as Domenic who does my A/C compressor for me when needed (for example). And I know I can count on these people when needed and provide me with the high level of quality work that I want to give my customers.

SO..I do agree that often times, I can spend a lot of time trying to provide someone with the information they need to get their problem resolved. As many of us know...often times the repair can be 'layered'...and thus...the answer is not so simple and it can be quite involved and complex....especially when many of us have encountered what would seem to be a 'simple repair'...turn into a ROYAL CLUSTER in a blink of an eye!

Often times the questions are vague and CRITCIAL information is left out which causes the time spent on providing an answer now worthless because the repair took a completely different direction.

One of my main complaints is when people disregard a question that I or anyone else is asking to get more information to help them out and they skip right over it like the question(s) is/are not important. That is when I give them middle finger salute and move on.

I have found if I ask 'What their skill level is'..I get my backside handed to me. Or get called out on being egotistical, arrogant or whatever the chosen word for the day is to describe me. Because if that person has so much experience and are skilled ...why are they asking a question that is often times so basic. Can't win for losing.

So ...hopefully...the word gets out and makes it so that when the people on this forum spend their time trying to help someone...that person that they help does what should be common knowledge and courtesy and reply.

DUB
Old 02-04-2018, 10:35 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I don’t see an upside to this thread continuing.

I believe the point has been made.

Get notified of new replies

To Posting a follow up when you get help.

Quick Reply: [C2] Posting a follow up when you get help.