C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Restomod build dedicated to Dave Bart, long time club member and all around good guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Restomod build dedicated to Dave Bart, long time club member and all around good guy

I bought this 1966 convertible almost 3 years ago already, with the intent to restomod it, pro touring style, since I'm really a street rod guy. Since then, my buddy Dave Bart has been fighting a losing battle with cancer. He's the kind of guy who's never met a stranger, was a founding member of the Lafayette Corvette Club about 40 some years ago, and has been a Corvette owner most of his life. Dave was hoping to see my car get done before his cancer gets the best of him, but I just can't get it done that fast. Therefore, I am dedicating this build to Dave Bart, and I am naming it "The Bartster", since I'm not all that creative and couldn't come up with anything better. This build will take several years, as I'm not retired yet. I plan to do it all, except finish bodywork and paint. I'll be thinking of Dave as I go along.

This is about as low as I can get the rear, and still be able to keep the folding top.<br/>
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

The front end had been crashed, so I cut it all off, which made it easier to smooth the firewall. I added a couple of inches of legroom for me in the process, since I need it for my long legs.

I made a form for the firewall bump out out of aluminum.

I built a new pedal mechanism to lower the pedals about 2", and then I could mount the master cylinders under the dash, for a clean look on the firewall, street rod style.

Here's the pedal assembly on the workbench.

Another shot of it. Yes, I know it will be a pain to change fluid with the master cylinders under the dash, but it won't be impossible.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

The LR corner had been hit and repaired, so I added some glass to the seams, so hopefully it won't show through after paint.

This is the look I'm after, but about 2" lower. I plan to build my own frame with narrowed C5 suspension, drop in an LS with twin turbos and a 5 speed Tremec.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Great post Bob!

Dave Nagreski
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

A touching tribute to your buddy. With that in mind I'm sure it will be great motivation for you in getting this project finished and on the road. Good luck going forward.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

So this is what I started with, in the shop it was stored in before I trailered it home. I don't know what I was thinking!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob'z Hot Rodz

So this is what I started with, in the shop it was stored in before I trailered it home. I don't know what I was thinking!

A few pics of the junk I started with...

I made some repairs to the frame, but it still flexed after I got done. Decision made... new frame, stronger than the original.

I mocked up the stance I want, using a wheel from my street rod.

I made some new panels for the dash inserts. I'll have them finished in carbon fiber.
bbison (02-21-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Bob'z Hot Rodz

A few pics of the junk I started with...

I made some repairs to the frame, but it still flexed after I got done. Decision made... new frame, stronger than the original.

I mocked up the stance I want, using a wheel from my street rod.

I made some new panels for the dash inserts. I'll have them finished in carbon fiber.

You have a major job restoration to complete. Any new updates?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
You have a major job restoration to complete. Any new updates?

Mocked up rear C5 suspension on the frame table. 7" narrowed.

Body going down on mocked up suspension.

I had to cut the trunk floor out to make way for the C5 suspension.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Here's the mocked up stance on the frame table.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default Problems posting pictures

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I try to post pics from the downloads on my laptop, but it only works maybe 1 out of 10 times.

Well, it worked this time. This view shows 5 1/2" from the bottom of the rocker trim to ground. 18" wheels, 26.3" tall tires, P225/45/18, only 9.3" wide to fit under the stock wheel wells.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default My buddy Dave went to heaven yesterday.

Here's Dave's obituary:
[I]David William Bart, a lifelong resident of Lafayette, died at 3:37pm on March 13, 2018, at home surrounded by his family.

He was born on February 19, 1945, in Lafayette, IN, to the late John S. Bart and Betty Ellen (Lynch) Bart.

He was a 1963 graduate of Jefferson High School and received an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science (Industrial Supervision) from Purdue University.

On November 4, 1967, he married the former Maureen E. Callahan in Lafayette. She survives.

He served in the U.S. Army Reserves from 1966 to 1972.

Dave worked at Duncan Electric from 1963 to 1972 and at Fireproof Garage as a salesperson from 1972-1973. He then worked as a receiving clerk and electrician at Eli Lilly and Company from 1973 until his retirement in 2000.

In his retirement he enjoyed working with one of his best friends, Dave Hurtt, restoring cars and working on houses. He enjoyed visiting with friends at Mary Lou Donuts in the mornings and his church retirees at Burger King. He was a wonderful son, husband, dad, brother, and uncle, and loved his family more than all else.

Dave was a lifelong member of the Lafayette Christian Reformed Church where he served many years on various committees, and as a Deacon, Elder, and Head Usher.

He enjoyed cars, especially Corvettes and muscle cars, and had been a member of the Lafayette Corvette Club since 1972. He enjoyed showing in and attending many classic car shows over the years.

Surviving with his wife of fifty years is their daughter, Lisa Marie Wheeler (husband Jason), granddaughter Bess Alexandria Wheeler, and brother, John Richard Bart (wife Cindy); he is also survived by brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, his nieces and nephews, and his great and great-great nieces and nephews. He also leaves behind a plethora of close friends and neighbors who meant the world to him.

A lot of folks have been blessed by knowing Dave, including me. I know he'll be watching my build from heaven, and probably cruising in his Corvette as much as he wants to. We'll miss you, Dave.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:15 AM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default Progress update, rear frame section.

Here's a cardboard mock up of the rear frame section after I located the pick up points with the original C5 frame sections.

I transferred the cardboard to the workbench and cut the sections with bird mouth cuts for strength.

The angled up sections were made from 4 pieces. They needed to be 5" wide at the crossmember.

Clamped and tack welded to a big H beam to minimize warpage and shrinkage.
USMC 0802 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:36 AM
I got your ZO6
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

Guys like you and the stories and memories these cars help bring to life are the reason I enjoy spending my time in this section of the forum! Enjoy the build and I ll enjoy following along.
Jeffthunbird (06-24-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:23 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Fun to watch....I don’t have the skill set but I did have the money to buy someone else’s frame like SRIII. Keep posting...we all enjoy watching!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default More rear frame update, ran out of time last post.

So I got the 2 frame rails pretty much identical, which is quite a feat considering all the welding.

After I got the frame rails mocked in place and removed, I went back to the original C5 frame sections I got with the suspension from Dino's Corvette Salvage in MS. I built a jig to locate the upper control arm mounts on the new frame rails.

Then I welded the new frame rails in. I tacked in a big 4x6 piece of angel iron in front of the crossmember to keep the warpage to a minimum.

I added some angled 2x4x1/8" wall tubing to add strength.Those bottom cuts were pretty tricky, I forgot to take a pic of the cardboard I mocked up to make the cuts correctly the first time.

I wish I could say all my welds are this good, but I can't. Getting to the insides of the tabs was a little tough.
Getting the shocks in was next.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob'z Hot Rodz:
Tom Heffernan (05-08-2018), USMC 0802 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default More rear frame progress

Got the shock mounts welded in.

Moving farther back, I made this rear section for the gas tank. I bought a new EFI ready tank from Eckler's, it came direct from Tanks, Inc.

Here it is all braced up, ready for final welding. One of the most frustrating parts of metal fab is dealing with the warping that occurs when welding.

Here it is all finish welded, it stayed square & level.

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod build dedicated to Dave Bart, long time club member and all around good guy

Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default Up to date pics of rear frame section

Gas tank installed.

Made these tricky strap anchors.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Default Time for the front end.

Sticking with the C5 suspension theme, I ended up narrowing the front cradle 10". I tried 9, but that didn't leave much room to turn the wheels.

I cut some angle iron and bolted it to the spring mount bolts to hold the cradle together temporarily.

The front end came in from Corvette Image a couple of weeks ago, so I set it up on the car. I ordered it with the side panels not attached. It looks like I'll have to slice them to get a good fit. More on that later.

Hopefully, this is enough clearance.

These are 17x7 wheels with 4 1/2" of backset off my street rod. They don't have enough clearance for the C5 brake calipers, but they're good for figuring the setup.
You can't really see it, but the tires are an inch off the frame table. That will give the car an inch of rake once it gets on the ground.
firstgear (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Sensational work Mate, and a great fitting tribute to your friend

Quick Reply: [C2] Restomod build dedicated to Dave Bart, long time club member and all around good guy