C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Outer window seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Outer window seal replacement

I'm in the process of freshening up the 25 year old paint on my '63 roadster, and planning to replace the original weatherstripping.
While removing interior door panels today, I was sizing up the job of replacing the horizontal outer glass seal.
Will I have to remove the window mechanisms to get at the 4 little philips screws that seem to anchor the strip?
Thoughts or experiences?
Bill.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 AM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilmcna
I'm in the process of freshening up the 25 year old paint on my '63 roadster, and planning to replace the original weatherstripping.
While removing interior door panels today, I was sizing up the job of replacing the horizontal outer glass seal.
Will I have to remove the window mechanisms to get at the 4 little philips screws that seem to anchor the strip?
Thoughts or experiences?
Bill.
You don't have to remove the mechanism, just remove the glass.....
Not a big deal....
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Originally Posted by RMBLROAR
You don't have to remove the mechanism, just remove the glass.....
Not a big deal....
Thanks Rmblroar, took another look today and thought the glass should lift out If I unbolted the 7/16" bolts at either end of channel, holes in door to provide access..
Also looks like the vent window and its post might not be to difficult?
Bill.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilmcna
Thanks Rmblroar, took another look today and thought the glass should lift out If I unbolted the 7/16" bolts at either end of channel, holes in door to provide access..
Also looks like the vent window and its post might not be to difficult?
Bill.
You got it. The vent frame is a little tricky to remove but just take your time and snake it out of there. Again not a big deal.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The procedure is covered in detail in the "Corvette Body" section of the 1963 Corvette Shop Manual - you do have that, don't you?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The procedure is covered in detail in the "Corvette Body" section of the 1963 Corvette Shop Manual - you do have that, don't you?
I do have the '63 manual, and yes all of the glass came out as explained
The only "hang up" not mentioned in the guide was the little stop bumpers & brackets on the door glass that seemed to hang up the procedure a bit.
Wondering if the re-assembly could do without those little brackets, or if they could be re-attached after the glass panels were through the opening in the door? Will have to look at that.

Next challenge will be the 2 mechanisms, each of which have one rusted attachment screw of course.

Love that old GM manual, have been using the same one for 45 years, Back in the stone age before the magic of Forums, that little book certainly earned its keep for the hobby guy.
Its a bit "dog-eared" now, Patina they call it, right?
Especially like the facts that it was dedicated to just one car ( well 2 actually), so a minimum of flipping back and forth between models. Lots of detail for a first year model too.
Thanks GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Outer window seal replacement

Quick Reply: Outer window seal replacement