C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Use of thread locker on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Use of thread locker on suspension

Rebuilding my front suspension on my 61. I have both Tom Parsons writeup and Arron o' brien's. Thanks guys!!!. My worn out part is the dreaded upper inner shaft. The new one threads in with minimal effort but there is no play in the shaft once installed just not the the extreme effort to install. My question is can locktite thread locker be used instead of replacing the a arm bushings. Locktite 262-271 or 272 all are high strength requiring 150# torque to break loose.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymcilroy
Rebuilding my front suspension on my 61. I have both Tom Parsons writeup and Arron o' brien's. Thanks guys!!!. My worn out part is the dreaded upper inner shaft. The new one threads in with minimal effort but there is no play in the shaft once installed just not the the extreme effort to install. My question is can locktite thread locker be used instead of replacing the a arm bushings. Locktite 262-271 or 272 all are high strength requiring 150# torque to break loose.
Where do you want to use the Loctite? C1 bushings are metal-to-metal, in constant relative motion through their threads, so you DON'T want to use Loctite there. You want LOTS of grease there, every 1000 miles or less.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks john

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Where do you want to use the Loctite? C1 bushings are metal-to-metal, in constant relative motion through their threads, so you DON'T want to use Loctite there. You want LOTS of grease there, every 1000 miles or less.
After I cleaned up the upper inner shaft bushings they were so elongated that I'm going to replace them so no locktite
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I used Loctite on the shaft threads where they screw into to spring
tower. Never have had a problem. If I ever re-do the top inner shafts,
I will replace the weld-in parts in the tower that support the shaft. The Loctite has held for 25 years. I grease the front end every time I
change the oil and that seems to be enough.
Ray

Get notified of new replies

To Use of thread locker on suspension

Quick Reply: [C1] Use of thread locker on suspension