C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Securing Trunk Contents

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 PM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Securing Trunk Contents

Once in awhile I’ll take my ‘58 out to the grocery store. By the time I get home the bags have moved all over the trunk and items spilled. I felt that one day something would get lodged in the latching mechanism like I’ve read others have unfortunately experienced. So, I purchased a tension shower rod and installed it between the wheel wells on the inside of the trunk. It works pretty well and keeps my 6-pack from sloshing around.
Attached Images   

Last edited by treh1; 02-17-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 02-17-2018, 07:20 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I use a fender cover from cc. It works great! It is grippy foam kind of, but what ever I set on it never moves. I have a plastic container that I keep with car show stuff (quick detailing) in it.
https://www.corvettecentral.com/prod...01661.main.jpg

Last edited by 61corv; 02-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The six pack of beer goes on the floor of the pass footwell next to the tunnel with your jean jacket over it to keep it cool, and obscure it from prying (police) eyes.

The open can goes between your legs with the opening facing forward. In case you have to hit the gas, you don't want all the beer in the can to go into your crotch. If you get puled over, that is why you have the center waterfall compartment between the seats, for the open beer to hide in.

Groceries go in the pass foot well next to the beer.
That's the way i did it c. 1975-1980.

Didn't your friends teach you anything?

Doug
Old 02-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'd be more worried about my classic car insurance covering me in an accident while running routine errands (e.g. getting groceries)....most don't cover it.

I'm just sayin'
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'd be more worried about my classic car insurance covering me in an accident while running routine errands (e.g. getting groceries)....most don't cover it.

I'm just sayin'
Exactly my first thought.

Steve
Old 02-18-2018, 07:31 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Like the commercial says, "No, you picked the wrong insurance COMPANY".

From the Hagerty use policy:

Our policy allows you to use your collector vehicle for club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and even occasional pleasure driving — it just can't be your daily driver.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Like the commercial says, "No, you picked the wrong insurance COMPANY".

From the Hagerty use policy:

Our policy allows you to use your collector vehicle for club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and even occasional pleasure driving — it just can't be your daily driver.
I don't want to reignite this debate as some are adamant I'm wrong but I, and I know Ratdog, have looked a bunch and no classic car policy I've found covers running routine errands.

BACK ON TOPIC: I carried this carpenter's apron in my car for years....out of the way, all the tools I need for roadside repairs and if I had to use it I just untie it from the trunk and tie it around my waist
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I don't want to reignite this debate as some are adamant I'm wrong but I, and I know Ratdog, have looked a bunch and no classic car policy I've found covers running routine errands.

BACK ON TOPIC: I carried this carpenter's apron in my car for years....out of the way, all the tools I need for roadside repairs and if I had to use it I just untie it from the trunk and tie it around my waist
I like the bag, no interference with hinge?

Last edited by 65GGvert; 02-18-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I like the bag, no interference with hinge?
Never once in 10 years of driving.

And the apron sorta raises itself up and greets you as the trunk opens.

You will have to deal with dweebs at car shows remarking to their girlfriends, "...and look, he's got the factory toolkit!".

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-18-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You are correct, Sir.

But, it's easy enough for anyone to find out for sure. Just send an email to your company asking if your collector car's agreed value policy covers you to go to the grocery store. Use email, not phone, because you will want to have it in writing in case you need it one day.

If you do get it in writing that you can use your car like that, please post back. I, and others, would really like to know because I haven't found any company that will cover my car in such a use.

Probably better to start a new thread if you have good news to report so that this thread can get back on track.

Take care,
Steve
Old 02-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

IMO - you can quasi-justify a trip to the auto parts store or a meal out "on the way to a classic car event" or while "pleasure driving"

Parking in a grocery store parking lot for an hour of shopping for vittles ? Not so much I'm thinkin'.

When I had my wreck I was sorta glad it was COMPLETELY kosher en route to a car show....I'd have hated for that to become an issue with a large claim (or a small one for that matter).
Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I won't debate any further either, but I will show in writing from my policy:

“Antique vehicle” means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that is:
1. maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public
interest or for a private collection; and
2. used only infrequently for other purposes.
“Classic vehicle” means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production which was
originally manufactured within the past 24 years and is an object of curiosity which is:
1. maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public
interest or for a private collection, and

I've had a couple of claims over the years and I was never asked for any statements or witnesses or purpose for which I was driving the car. Just what happened and what is the estimate from your repair shop. One of the claims turned out to be higher after they sent me a check, and they paid the additional directly to the repair shop.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I won't debate any further either, but I will show in writing from my policy:

“Antique vehicle” means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that is:
interest or for a private collection; and
“Classic vehicle” means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production which was
originally manufactured within the past 24 years
and is an object of curiosity which is:
interest or for a private collection, and

I've had a couple of claims over the years and I was never asked for any statements or witnesses or purpose for which I was driving the car. Just what happened and what is the estimate from your repair shop. One of the claims turned out to be higher after they sent me a check, and they paid the additional directly to the repair shop.
Your company's lawyers need a loud phone call from a rep and a vocal 'tune up'
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I had no idea that my shower rod idea was going to get into another insurance discussion
State Farm handles all my insurance (cars, house, life, umbrella). Last year I switched to an "agreed value" with Hagerty but only kept it for a couple days because my agent said I could no longer keep the umbrella policy with SF. So, the Corvette is still insured with SF. A few months back, I asked about driving the car for pleasure trips and running errands and here's the response I got:
"The policy you have on the Corvette is a Classic Car policy with stated value of $90k. This policy is designed for use of the car for under 2,000 miles a year or less and accounts that the car will used occasionally for whatever driving purposes (other than racing). You have a $250 deductible for fire, theft, vandalism or glass breakage on the policy. That means your examples below about the car being stolen or burned in a fire, are all covered minus the $250 deductible. FYI your Homeowners policy specifically excludes any and all coverage for cars - stored or not. Which means to have coverage for a car that was burned as a result of your house burning in a fire - the car policy has to have the Comprehensive coverage in order to be covered."
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Sorry I took this off track but I wouldn't insure a freakin' bird house with State Farm; they screwed thousands of Florida homeowners during the '04 spate of hurricanes, left the state and then started up an offshore insurance company to duck the regulations and screw homeowner's a second time.... Then pulled similar BS during Katrina...

[/rant]
Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by treh1
Well I had no idea that my shower rod idea was going to get into another insurance discussion
State Farm handles all my insurance (cars, house, life, umbrella). Last year I switched to an "agreed value" with Hagerty but only kept it for a couple days because my agent said I could no longer keep the umbrella policy with SF. So, the Corvette is still insured with SF. A few months back, I asked about driving the car for pleasure trips and running errands and here's the response I got:
"The policy you have on the Corvette is a Classic Car policy with stated value of $90k. This policy is designed for use of the car for under 2,000 miles a year or less and accounts that the car will used occasionally for whatever driving purposes (other than racing). You have a $250 deductible for fire, theft, vandalism or glass breakage on the policy. That means your examples below about the car being stolen or burned in a fire, are all covered minus the $250 deductible. FYI your Homeowners policy specifically excludes any and all coverage for cars - stored or not. Which means to have coverage for a car that was burned as a result of your house burning in a fire - the car policy has to have the Comprehensive coverage in order to be covered."
Please expound on the umbrella policy comment. State Farm requires that your auto policy has the highest liability limits in order for State Farm to provide an umbrella policy. That's true whether the auto policy is from them or anyone else. I can't see how Hagerty would object to an umbrella policy. Perhaps Hagerty wasn't providing the highest liability available, thus State Farm wouldn't provide an umbrella policy.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

That SF policy is a "stated value" policy, which could leave you on the hook for a bunch of uncompensated, damage or loss.

I plain won't leave any of my collector cars unattended in any parking lot. If I do go and have lunch in one, I make sure I park where I can see teh car and choose an eatery where i can see teh car from where i sit, AND park in a safe location.

The GFs DD manages to get grocery cart scrapes, and door dings and she always parks far away from the store. All you need is some loser, jealous ******* to walk by with his keys out and your paint is FUBAR'd.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Securing Trunk Contents

Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Sorry I took this off track but I wouldn't insure a freakin' bird house with State Farm; they screwed thousands of Florida homeowners during the '04 spate of hurricanes, left the state and then started up an offshore insurance company to duck the regeulations and screw homeowner's a second time.... Then pulled similar BS during Katrina...

[/rant]
Allstate did something similar
Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by treh1

I liked the curtain rod idea so I bought one to hold my supplies and chair, etc in the trunk so they don't slide from side to side or possibly to the rear to catch in the latch. I haven't started using it yet, but I think it will work great. I've been using bungie cords, but they're not ideal.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Your company's lawyers need a loud phone call from a rep and a vocal 'tune up'
They are defining the terms their company uses in the policy. It's their distinction between antique and classic, not saying that anyone who calls their 50 year old a classic is mistaken, just that they insure a car that is not an antique yet if it's a "classic". They don't insure modern cars, so it's a distinction with a difference. Like their ad says, "we insure antiques and classics"

Quick Reply: Securing Trunk Contents