C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ignition questions on 57 283 in 57 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Jim Rosenthal
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ignition questions on 57 283 in 57 Vette

Has anyone tried to fit an MSD distributor inside the factory shielding on a 57 carbureted Vette (2x4)? I would like to fit an MSD distributor with vacuum advance; I can hide the 6AL digital box elsewhere in the car, but I don't want to give up the factory shielding. I know MSD make small distributors, but I don't think they have vacuum advance capability. Anyone who has tried this, or can enlighten me, thanks in advance for your help. No pun intended.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I use an MSD 8572 tach drive dist on my 65. It uses a small diameter cap and a standard vacuum can. You can us a tall cap or standard height. I do not use ignition shielding but I would expect it to fit.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 02-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Jim Rosenthal
Has anyone tried to fit an MSD distributor inside the factory shielding on a 57 carbureted Vette (2x4)? I would like to fit an MSD distributor with vacuum advance; I can hide the 6AL digital box elsewhere in the car, but I don't want to give up the factory shielding. I know MSD make small distributors, but I don't think they have vacuum advance capability. Anyone who has tried this, or can enlighten me, thanks in advance for your help. No pun intended.
I personally don't care for MSD. I have had several over the years on many cars and the boxes do not hold up well in the AZ. heat. I ran them because they had plug in rev limiters. Today there are other options for the rev limiter if that is what you need. Otherwise I would simply install a Pertronix inside of the original dist. or if you need a complete dist. there are other choices that will fit under the shielding. Others may chime in with specific dist. options.

Last edited by 68hemi; 02-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Years ago I recall someone saying they were able to install a Delco single point dist. with a VAC on a 2 x 4 283 and get the timing right, but it required rotating the gear 180 degrees so the dimple faced opposite the direction as the rotor tip.

Personally, I'd just use points as they are simple, reliable, rarely fail without lots of warning signs, and don't need frequent adjustment given the typical low mileage accumulation of most vintage Corvette; but you have the option of replacing the points with an electronic switch that can fail suddenly without warning. So, if you do, carry a set of points and required tool in the car to install the points when the electronic switch fails.

Duke

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition questions on 57 283 in 57 Vette

Quick Reply: Ignition questions on 57 283 in 57 Vette