C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Another Headlight Relay Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Another Headlight Relay Wiring Question

Seeing as I have the motor out of my 67, I am thinking about upgrading the headlight wiring as they are pretty dim.

i have read through darn near all of the threads that cover the subject and have read the articles on MAD enterprises website as well as Daniel Stern's site.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Headlight Power Upgrade Harness from Ecklers?

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/head...alo-lamps.html

Wondering if the one from MAD is better? I see that the one from Eckler's only has one fuse, but that seems to be easily fixed.

I have tried calling MAD Enterprises but the phone just rings and rings.
Attached Images  

Last edited by johngandersonjr; 02-20-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know why you would want more than one fuse...

Haven't looked at the kits but if they use the dimmer switch as the 'trigger' for the relays you only need a fuse at the main power feed to the two (hi/lo beam) relays...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 AM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Only reason why would be if one blew for some reason, I could still use the remaining circuit to have lights.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

An extra complication and unnecessary IMO.
I ran relays on my 61 for 8 years with no issues... No kit, I made my own setup.

Buy whichever kit gives you the cleanest, simplest install -- again IMO..
Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I think you need a circuit breaker not a fuse
in front of the relays
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 AM
johngandersonjr
Racer

I can get harness for $50. So I was just wondering if it was better to do that or get the parts from MAD. For some reason I have not been able to get a hold of them.

But after researching.

Looks like I need (2) relays. I need to take 12v from the horn relay to provide power to the new headlight relays. Ground both of the new relays. Make a new connector that will plug into the existing headlight wires, closest to the radiator support. From there I will grab the new "trigger wires" for the relay. And finally run the power out out from each relay to each of the existing extension harnesses for the headlight buckets.

I think that should be it.

Do I need to run a 12v from the BAT on the alternator to the horn relay it just use the horn relays 12v?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I generally just make headlight relay harnesses for the cars I equip with them. Of course, I've got the right tools and supplies (really good crimpers, high quality connectors, etc.) to do the job right.

As for the one fuse/two fuse argument. A single fuse means, if there's a fault that blows the fuse, you lose all your headlights until you replace the fuse. That's not the safest option, although it is basically what was stock in many American cars up through 1997.

Implementing two fuses with two relays, one for low beams and one for high beams means you can switch beams and drive with some lights, maybe, if the fuse blows. I'm not a fan of limping home with high beams only and annoying everyone on the road in the case of an issue.

My preferred method is the one that meets 1998+ safety standards. Separate fuses for the left headlamps and the right headlamps. Implementing that takes a total of 4 relays, but any failure or damage takes out only one side of your headlights, not both. I generally accept the added cost of 2 more relays, and the increased likelihood of a failure from the increased component count. Trading that for one fully functional headlamp when a failure occurs seems to be a good trade off in my opinion.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 02-21-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

As I see it, the main advantage of a relay system is to provide higher voltage to the lights. That is done by using larger wires running shorter distances to carry the main power to the lights. Power at the horn relay is shared with other systems and is not as direct as a heavy gauge wire direct from the alternator. So, a relay system from the horn relay will be brighter than stock, but maybe not as bright as one directly from the alternator. Will you be able to see the difference? I don't know.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by kellsdad
As I see it, the main advantage of a relay system is to provide higher voltage to the lights. That is done by using larger wires running shorter distances to carry the main power to the lights. Power at the horn relay is shared with other systems and is not as direct as a heavy gauge wire direct from the alternator. So, a relay system from the horn relay will be brighter than stock, but maybe not as bright as one directly from the alternator. Will you be able to see the difference? I don't know.
The horn relay is absolutely where you want the main power feed for ANY aftermarket electrical accessory...

The relays are more than that...they take the load off the headlight switch so it just becomes a low-amp 'trigger' for the relays. Original switches are showing their age and the repros are worse and the thermal relay inside the often trips unnecessarily causing headlights to 'strobe' as if there was an overcurrent condition. Relays eliminate all of this.

There are several circuit diagrams available and I can provide one if needed.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The horn relay is absolutely where you want the main power feed for ANY aftermarket electrical accessory...
I've heard that from a lot of C2 and C3 guys. I haven't had one in my shop in so long, I'm not sure I'd agree with going there for power to a headlight relay harness.

It would take a large (AWG 8 or 10), short (12 inches, maybe 16 inches, but preferrably shorter) unfused wire from the horn relay post to the alternator or battery to convince me.

My preference is to go to the "bat" post on the alternator, or directly to the battery. Whichever is closer to the headlights. On my S10 pickup, I went to the positive battery post because the battery lives behind one of the headlights. On the Mercedes (W126, 560SEL), I went to the alternator post because the battery is back in the cowl area, below the windshield.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I've heard that from a lot of C2 and C3 guys. I haven't had one in my shop in so long, I'm not sure I'd agree with going there for power to a headlight relay harness.

It would take a large (AWG 8 or 10), short (12 inches, maybe 16 inches, but preferrably shorter) unfused wire from the horn relay post to the alternator or battery to convince me.

My preference is to go to the "bat" post on the alternator, or directly to the battery. Whichever is closer to the headlights. On my S10 pickup, I went to the positive battery post because the battery lives behind one of the headlights. On the Mercedes (W126, 560SEL), I went to the alternator post because the battery is back in the cowl area, below the windshield.
The way the C2 voltage sensing works, if you take major accessory power leads straight off the battery you guarantee your voltage regulator's remote sensing method of providing charge will work incorrectly and the dashboard BATTERY gauge will read strangely.

Details are on the Mad Electric tech portion of their web site and I've gone through the whole drill with my 63's aftermarket air conditioning install...as have others

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 AM
johngandersonjr
Racer

I appreciate all the responses.

I will see if I can get ahold of MAD to order the kit. If I cannot get a hold of them, I will source my own 85 86 87 30 relays and wire it myself. Looks like I will need to gather up (2) delphi 56 connectors and some ends as well as a crimper.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The way the C2 voltage sensing works, if you take major accessory power leads straight off the battery you guarantee your voltage regulator's remote sensing method of providing charge will work incorrectly and the dashboard BATTERY gauge will read strangely.

Details are on the Mad Electric tech portion of their web site and I've gone through the whole drill with my 63's aftermarket air conditioning install...as have others

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

OK. So these have the external voltage regulator. That's different from the applications I've usually done.

I understand the need to have the voltage regulator sense wire on the same terminal that serves as power distribution point. Is that wire normally attached to the horn relay post on the C2/C3? Or do You add that MAD CN-1 part and attach everything to that?

Originally Posted by johngandersonjr
I appreciate all the responses.

I will see if I can get ahold of MAD to order the kit. If I cannot get a hold of them, I will source my own 85 86 87 30 relays and wire it myself. Looks like I will need to gather up (2) delphi 56 connectors and some ends as well as a crimper.
For relays, I generally use the skirted, "Weatherproof" relays and sockets. http://amzn.com/B003TEO9GU is a Hella weatherproof relay with mounting tab.

For the sockets, I use something like http://amzn.com/B000VU9D0C, but I generally pull out the wires and crimp terminals on my own wires to avoid any splices. You can get "kits" of cheaper (Chinese) relays with sockets.

The terminals that fit those sockets are http://amzn.com/B01F7S5GGM for 12 gauge wire, and http://amzn.com/B01F7S5CES for 14-16 gauge wire.

For the headlight connection, http://amzn.com/B01N533URZ and I throw out the wires and crimp my own female spade connectors on my own wires and push them in. Again, I like to avoid splices or butt connectors. I don't have a link for the spade lugs, I keep several styles here, and I always have a match for what I find in those headlight connectors (although headlight connectors ordered at different times seem to come with different styles of female spade connectors).

I hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:05 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

My neighbor made a bunch of these and I think he has a few left over
I have removed the spade fuse and just hard wired the circuit breaker
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Grampy
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm in the two circuit breaker camp; one high and one low. Relays on waterproof bases.

Grampy
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

The connectors, available here:
https://theelectricaldepot.com/weath...fa35d3fd583391

Crimpers you will need:

The box:

The harness:

Last edited by buns; 10-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johngandersonjr (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

How deep is the box or how large are the circuit breakers?

Get notified of new replies

To Another Headlight Relay Wiring Question

Old 02-21-2018, 02:58 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

This is exactly what I was looking for. I had started to draw it up on my computer, but this saves me a lot of time.

Could you tell me where you sourced the box as well as what gauge wire you used?

Originally Posted by buns
johngandersonjr, I built a headlight relay kit for my '66 recently. I was able to source the Packard 56 connectors, so there is no need to hack into the original harness.

The wiring diagram:

The connectors, available here:
https://theelectricaldepot.com/weath...fa35d3fd583391

Crimpers you will need:

The box:

The harness:

Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 PM
buns
Safety Car

The box is 5.1 x 2.6 x 1.7. This one:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...-x-1.72/1.html

It was a tight squeeze with standard Bosch relays. This one is slightly larger.

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...-x-2.10/1.html

I used 14 gauge for the black and red wires, 16 gauge for the brown and green. It's such a short run, I didn't feel the need to go larger. This chart shows what gauge you need.

EDIT: I used 14 gauge for all the wires.

Last edited by buns; 03-05-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:40 PM
buns
Safety Car

Circuit breakers:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...breaker/1.html

Well priced relays:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...e-relay/1.html
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (02-22-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Another Headlight Relay Wiring Question