C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New or Rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Skydude66
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New or Rebuild ?

66' Holley acting up. Have adjusted the floats and idle screws but still having problems. Trying to decide whether to buy a new carb or have mine rebuilt. If I decide to replace it with a new one, any suggestions on what to get? Car is a 327/300hp. Thanks.

Skydude
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'm not running a Holley, but I will suggest you do a search here on the CF. Holley carbs have been well discussed about rebuild, sources for the work and replacement Holleys. Dennis
Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

If it were me, I’d get it rebuilt. I did this a few years ago and haven’t had an issue.

Ed
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Skydude66
66' Holley acting up. Have adjusted the floats and idle screws but still having problems. Trying to decide whether to buy a new carb or have mine rebuilt. If I decide to replace it with a new one, any suggestions on what to get? Car is a 327/300hp. Thanks.

Skydude
Is the carb the original dated to the car?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I'd rebuild it. Have you priced a new Holley lately? I've paid less for entire engines.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Wrestling with the same issue on my 67 L79. I was thinking about getting a new Holley 600 ($300) to run until i figure it out. Brand new 3810 is over $700.

Is there an easy way to get fittings to adapt the steel fuel line on a 67 to a new Holley ?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Skydude66
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is the original carb.

Last edited by Skydude66; 02-21-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Get it rebuilt and restored by the right shop and your be good to go. I have had good luck with Custom rebuilt carbs in NJ. There are others who do just as well
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Sometime the carb is blamed for the electrical problems. Make sure you are correcting the right problem.

If you have the original carb, it was built for the engine. A new generic Holley may not come with the correct choke and fuel line configurations requiring modifications to your systems. Also, the new carb will have to be tuned to your engine, possible jet and power valve changes, etc.

I would spend the money to have it rebuilt, if you can't rebuild it yourself. It is not a difficult task if you buy the Holley service manual and pay attention to detail.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R66
Sometime the carb is blamed for the electrical problems. Make sure you are correcting the right problem.

If you have the original carb, it was built for the engine. A new generic Holley may not come with the correct choke and fuel line configurations requiring modifications to your systems. Also, the new carb will have to be tuned to your engine, possible jet and power valve changes, etc.

I would spend the money to have it rebuilt, if you can't rebuild it yourself. It is not a difficult task if you buy the Holley service manual and pay attention to detail.
If there is mismatched parts and warped parts in the carb from 50 years of people messing with it a simple rebuild won’t fix nothing. But cause more problems.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

You're correct about a new generic Holley--in my case, the carb on my 67 300/350 HP wasn't original to the car as it had a date code from late 66 and my car was built in May 67. To further complicate matters the issue with that carb was an intermittent whistle that drove me nuts. While I could have rebuilt it, it wasn't going to be cheap or fast. I bought a new carb from LIC, and it was exactly like the one I had, brand new Holley match to the original 3810 except no date code. Adjusted it per the service manual (which is very easy) and runs great, whistle solved.

If you look, market value for a "junk" but proper date coded Holley goes for a ton of money and they're not functional/need to be rebuilt, plus there's the turn time on a rebuild. If I care about the money, anytime I wish I can sell Holley I removed and have less net out-of-pocket than a rebuild would have been assuming that the whistle was moderate warping to the base that can be fixed.

It was 4 years ago and around $600 new for the carb. There's a California outfit that "sells" junk Holleys for these cars at $500 for those that are hunting date code correct carbs for top flight, etc.

If originality is important, then rebuild an original, as the OP should do.

Just wanted to throw this out there for those who are in my situation: non-original to the car carb, wanted something that was simple bolt on with no changes, and not wanting to send a carb away and wait to get it back.

Get notified of new replies

To New or Rebuild ?

Quick Reply: New or Rebuild ?