C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
spudman
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Windows

Does anyone know how hard it would be to install OEM power windows in a 1963 ? Or if its even possible ?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by spudman
Does anyone know how hard it would be to install OEM power windows in a 1963 ? Or if its even possible ?

Thanks
Hi, you can buy the kit to do it....there are a few posts on it. Frankie the Fink did his 63 ...and should chime in soon...

Jack
The following users liked this post:
spudman (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If you have the AIM you can see how the factory done it. If your car is blown apart for a resto it will be easy. If it’s complete your just have a few things to remove
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

I did this on my 67 convertible a few years ago. I used only factory parts, buying the used motors, door conduits and regulators from David Sokolowski in SoCal, then had the motors rebuilt by a CF vendor. I had the rectangular hole cut in the enter console for the switches done by an automotive machine shop. Nerve-wracking to cut holes for conduits in the door posts, but the fiberglass there is backed by a steel plate with the hole already cut in it, so theoretically you can't cut the hole too large. I avoided aftermarket kits because if something goes wrong I like to be able to look in the AIM for troubleshooting.

Lou
Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I did it on my 61 -- not the 63....
There are some gotchas if you want a factory look- you will need new door panels and a different (or modified) shifter console.

NEITHER of those changes are cheap !!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM
spudman
Instructor

Okay well don't laugh at me but what is an AIM ? Where do I get one ?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Assembly Instruction Manual - a NECESSITY working on these cars - all the vendors sell them, such as Wilcox Corvettes. The power windows will be in the options section..
Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM
spudman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Assembly Instruction Manual - a NECESSITY working on these cars - all the vendors sell them, such as Wilcox Corvettes. The power windows will be in the options section..

Thank you very much
Old 05-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Thank you very much
Hi, you should order catalogs from 3 of the major vendors. Diagrams are very good and will help with any repairs.

Jack
Old 05-22-2018, 05:09 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Okay well don't laugh at me but what is an AIM ? Where do I get one ?
We definitely don't laugh at newbies; we welcome, support and validate them. Once you've been here a while, and maybe start getting too big for your britches, then we'll start poking fun at you and lay into the criticism!

Welcome!

Lou
Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

The most difficult part is making the oval cut outs in the Hinge Pillar without damaging the paint. There is a dimple in the fiberglass where you can drill a hole and then start to grind out the fiberglass from there. There is an oval cut out in the birdcage that you can follow. Or, an easier method would be to cut just a hole and install flexible conduit like a modern car has.
There are several kits on the market, but for whatever reason, the motors they offer are now very slow. I've had good luck with the cardone rebuilt motors...super fast! Maybe you could order the kit from Auto City Classics and request no motors. You will also need to either switch your console or make the necessary cut out and holes.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65silververt
The most difficult part is making the oval cut outs in the Hinge Pillar without damaging the paint. There is a dimple in the fiberglass where you can drill a hole and then start to grind out the fiberglass from there. There is an oval cut out in the birdcage that you can follow. Or, an easier method would be to cut just a hole and install flexible conduit like a modern car has.
There are several kits on the market, but for whatever reason, the motors they offer are now very slow. I've had good luck with the cardone rebuilt motors...super fast! Maybe you could order the kit from Auto City Classics and request no motors. You will also need to either switch your console or make the necessary cut out and holes.
only ST Louis built bodies have the dimple. bodies built by A. O. Smith did not have a dimple. but the bird cage still has the oval.

I was told or read the reason why the motors are slower then they should be is for safety reasons. I guess someone got there fingers or arm stuck and got lawyers involved
Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 PM
spudman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
only ST Louis built bodies have the dimple. bodies built by A. O. Smith did not have a dimple. but the bird cage still has the oval.

I was told or read the reason why the motors are slower then they should be is for safety reasons. I guess someone got there fingers or arm stuck and got lawyers involved

Thank you all

Get notified of new replies

To Power Windows

Quick Reply: [C2] Power Windows