C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How does my pad look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
I read through the article and it says that the engine code was applied to the sides of the block with a grease pencil when the bare block started down the line. The actual stamping of the pad was done at final assembly. Hopefully we are now on the same page about when the pad was stamped.

Regarding errors in the GM parts books, I have seen cases where an individual part listed in the parts book was incorrect for the listed application. I've also seen cases where a part called out in the AIM was not actually used in production.

I'm not saying that the GM parts book (or Ed) are wrong about the specific question of the single-R code being used on 327s in 1964. What I'm saying is that its risky to assume that any one source on this topic is absolutely, positively correct and does not need to be corroborated by other sources.

So far the data I have seen are conflicting, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out this particular aspect with some further research. If no one else chimes in with corroborating data, I'll do some more research when I have some time to spend on it.

The reason I think this is important is that I agree with you that it would not be hard to convert a 1964 single-R to an RT. If such single-R blocks were produced in 1964, this pad will need closer study.
I gave you production figures based on that suffix code. what more do you want. should I try and find that car for sale
Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
but do you understand how flint cast and assembled engines and assigned suffix codes to each block BEFORE it was assembled?
You have to build a hipo engine in order to stamp it as such. But you don't have to know what it is going to be before you assemble it or cast it.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
You have to build a hipo engine in order to stamp it as such. But you don't have to know what it is going to be before you assemble it or cast it.
the line worker has to know what parts to use to build it. what part of that don't you understand
Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patrick03
Thanks for the all the great discussions guys, really appreciate it. Fortunately this is academic for me as I have no plans to sell the car and didn't buy the car thinking it might be something it may or may not be. I'm encouraged that Joe's pad expert friend confirmed that it was possible for Flint to leave off the last character, especially during initial runs of low volume engines, and hand stamp it later. I'm curious to see if other 365HP TI engines built around the same time show a similar hand stamp look to the "T" on my block. I think I may start a separate thread to elicit some responses to that question.

For now though, I'm pretty convinced the block started life as a 365HP TI engine. I'm sure it is possible (if blocks with just an "R" at the end were produced at the same time) that someone tried to fake a TI engine with this car, but that seems like a lot of effort to go through (getting the right date coded block and distributor) for a '64 SBC, especially since I'm sure it happened many years ago. Plus, this car wasn't sold to me with any claims of it being a TI car so if the previous owner paid a supposed premium for it, that didn't get passed on to me.

I may also actually pay Joe's expert or that other guy to get a more definitive and formal answer. Would come in handy if I ever get this car judged. That day though is pretty far in the future as I pulled this engine to put in a 383 built from a different block.

If anyone else has anything constructive to add, please do so.

Thanks,
Patrick
For a definitive answer, contact Al Grenning at CCAS. If he says it's good, it's good
Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 PM
68hemi
Race Director

to think it all was done before computers and smart phones. just goes to show you how great this country industry use to be. now if the computer system goes down the whole plant shuts down. just think about how much planing went on every day to ensure every thing was there each shift. and next time you think about matching bolt head markings think about the number used each day at flint
Not as much as you think, that is why there were often rush shipments sent to the plants because they were out of something. You are still think of it as "just in time" manufacturing that did not exist at that time. Back in the day we would get communication from our reps often telling us that certain options were not available until future notice because of vendor shortages.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 PM
68hemi
Race Director

the line worker has to know what parts to use to build it. what part of that don't you understand
Yes, for ASSEMBLY not casting.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
Okay, I see that Ed's book does list the "single R" for a 1964 passenger car 327. I know Ed and he is very thorough.

That being said, are there any other sources we can use to double-check this? If Ed's data are from the GM parts books, it is not impossible for GM to make a mistake.
Another source:
http://www.348-409.com/suffixsb.htm
Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Wow. What's the bottom line on this pad? It sounds like no pad can ever be confirmed as original unless the original owner has the car and can verify the motor was never removed from the car. And he also has documentation from it birth date.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Wow. What's the bottom line on this pad? It sounds like no pad can ever be confirmed as original unless the original owner has the car and can verify the motor was never removed from the car. And he also has documentation from it birth date.
That's what Mr. Grenning does.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Here is an example of an original pad from a '64 365hp with A/C. You can see that this low volume engine had the second suffix letter stamped separately.
Name:  Engine Assy Close.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  282.5 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by W Guy:
mikelj (02-27-2018), Patrick03 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Here is an example of an original pad from a '64 365hp with A/C. You can see that this low volume engine had the second suffix letter stamped separately.
Thanks for sharing that photo. It is comforting to see that there are other pad's with the last character hand stamped.

Patrick
Old 02-27-2018, 03:55 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

I gave you production figures based on that suffix code. what more do you want. should I try and find that car for sale
Okay, as I understand your numbers, the 327/250 HP engine, when used in a full size Chevy with a manual transmission, had a single-R suffix. 46,559 of this configuration were built in 1964.

I don't know if the 46,554 number is just for Flint or includes Tonawanda, and I don't know if all 46,554 were built using the '870 casting.

However, it seems likely that Flint built some or all of these using the '870 casting. If in fact all of the Flint builds had a single-R suffix, then it would certainly be possible to use one of those blocks to add the T and create an RT suffix.

I've looked at a few online sources and some of them say the single-R suffix was used in 1964, while some of them don't.

I'm a bit worn out trying to sort out the assembly codes using the internet, but for the time being I'm willing to say that it may well have been possible to find an '870 casting dated February 1964 that had a genuine, Flint-stamped F0303R assembly code. And, someone could have added a T to that stamping to make it an RT.

However, all this means is that this pad needs further study, because hand-stamped suffix letters reportedly DID happen at Flint.

At this stage I think some of the true pad experts in the NCRS need to take it from here, because an accurate determination on this pad may be a bit too complicated for us amateurs.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Joe I agree. It’s time to let someone who was at Flint in 64 or someone who has studied Flint pads a great deal more then I or you. I never herd or seen this add on suffix code and while your points are valid I just can’t see why Flint wouldn’t know what they were building until the end. I hope JohnZ or others chime in
Old 02-27-2018, 05:21 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick03
Thanks for sharing that photo. It is comforting to see that there are other pad's with the last character hand stamped.

Patrick
Hi Patrick:

Just to add to the scope of possibilities, I think I have seen some allegedly original stampings where BOTH of the suffix characters appeared to be hand-stamped.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:26 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Giving an opinion because you asked the question, the circular marks bother me on this one.
This is a real issue with this pad.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've seen a lot of 2870 blocks over the years. I own several. I've never seen any difference in any of them except for the amount of wear on the cylinders or if they had a main bearing cracked.

Whatever is stamped on the ID pad at the front has never been an issue nor has it been a factor in the value of the block. Regardless of what is stamped on it.

The block in my man made '63 L 84 came from one of my piles of junk. It had pop up pistons in it, stuck to the cylinders. I beat the piston out of the bores, had it bored and decked because of rust and it runs perfectly. I have no idea what punch marks were on it to start with on the pad but the 2870 is very pronounced at the rear.

I think some of you people could be diagnosed with something to indicate a mental illness.

So, what is the hassle here?

Last edited by MikeM; 02-27-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] How does my pad look?