C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How does my pad look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts
Default How does my pad look?

Pulled this out of my '64 last summer and currently storing it (built a 383 with another block). Lots of 365hp parts on the engine ,so it either started out that way or someone built it that way. How does the pass pad? My untrained eye sees circular marks which would indicate decking and restamping.

Last edited by Patrick03; 02-23-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Patrick03

Pulled this out of my '64 last summer and currently storing it (built a 383 with another block). Lots of 365hp parts on the engine ,so it either started out that way or someone built it that way. How does the pass pad? My untrained eye sees circular marks which would indicate decking and restamping.

In MOST cases I have given up trying to make a call on these pads due to angle and lighting. I think there are too many "laptop experts" that are too quick to pass judgement on someones car from pictures like this.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Giving an opinion because you asked the question, the circular marks bother me on this one.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Giving an opinion because you asked the question, the circular marks bother me on this one.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll pull the heads and see how it looks. Will post back shortly.

Patrick
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

If you look close, you can see the 1 and the 9 double stamped.

Ed
Old 02-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

The block has old head gasket impregnated in it, but the few clear spots look like the block was scuffed up. I know it had a rebuild in its past.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:25 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

What's the casting date? If it falls in the expected range, I may be in the minority here, but will say it looks like possibly an original stamp that was lightly machined over when the deck was cleaned up during a rebuild.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
What's the casting date? If it falls in the expected range, I may be in the minority here, but will say it looks like possibly an original stamp that was lightly machined over when the deck was cleaned up during a rebuild.
Not an expert but I agree. The 1 and 9 are re-stamped over what looks original (straight). The original vin derivative is a straight line on mine and others I've seen. With the restamp, it looks like a roller coaster, with the straight underneath.
On the other number, it looks all straight except the last digit which I think is typical.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Here is my stab at it. The vin stamp was added but the asssmbly stamp is real with the “T” added after the “R”
Old 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
I agree with this. I've seen several original pads where some or all of the original features were removed by decking or sanding during a routine rebuild.

If a block is decked about .020", pretty much none of the original makings will be left. However, if the block only received a "clean-up" decking of .005 to .010, the original numbers will typically still be legible, but the original broach marks will be gone.

If the deck was only sanded, there will sometimes be a mix of original broach marks and sanding marks.

Note that in NCRS judging, the two stampings are judged separately and assigned 25 points each. The broach marks are judged separately from the stampings, and assigned 38 points.

For the broach marks, the NCRS only requires "evidence" of the expected broach marks. Even if the pad surface has rusted, been sanded, or decked, these are ignored and the judges simply look for some remaining evidence of the original broach marks.

In my experience, if the judges are convinced the stampings are original and the owner simply has the misfortune of having a rusted, decked, or sanded pad surface, the judges will try very hard to find some shred of "evidence" of the original broach marks so that the owner can get those 38 points.

Regarding the specific pad referenced by the OP, I think the first question is whether the block's casting number and casting date seem appropriate for the car's build date.

If they do, then the stampings on the pad should be carefully evaluated to see if they appear original. If they do (and it appears to me that they may be original), the final frontier will be determining whether there is any remaining "evidence" of the original broach marks.

Based on the photos provided by the OP, it looks to me that whatever process was used to clean up the deck surface (decking or sanding), the amount of material removed was a very thin layer. Careful analysis may reveal some evidence of the original broach marks.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:48 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
I agree with this. I've seen several original pads where some or all of the original features were removed by decking or sanding during a routine rebuild.

If a block is decked about .020", pretty much none of the original makings will be left. However, if the block only received a "clean-up" decking of .005 to .010, the original numbers will typically still be legible, but the original broach marks will be gone.

If the deck was only sanded, there will sometimes be a mix of original broach marks and sanding marks.

Note that in NCRS judging, the two stampings are judged separately and assigned 25 points each. The broach marks are judged separately from the stampings, and assigned 38 points.

For the broach marks, the NCRS only requires "evidence" of the expected broach marks. Even if the pad surface has rusted, been sanded, or decked, these are ignored and the judges simply look for some remaining evidence of the original broach marks.

In my experience, if the judges are convinced the stampings are original and the owner simply has the misfortune of having a rusted, decked, or sanded pad surface, the judges will try very hard to find some shred of "evidence" of the original broach marks so that the owner can get those 38 points.

Regarding the specific pad referenced by the OP, I think the first question is whether the block's casting number and casting date seem appropriate for the car's build date.

If they do, then the stampings on the pad should be carefully evaluated to see if they appear original. If they do (and it appears to me that they may be original), the final frontier will be determining whether there is any remaining "evidence" of the original broach marks.

Based on the photos provided by the OP, it looks to me that whatever process was used to clean up the deck surface (decking or sanding), the amount of material removed was a very thin layer. Careful analysis may reveal some evidence of the original broach marks.
as well. What I see in the pictures are both broach marks AND sanding marks
Old 02-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll check the block date code and report back. The car has a TI distributor, so I'm inclined to believe the last character on the pad.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patrick03
I'll check the block date code and report back. The car has a TI distributor, so I'm inclined to believe the last character on the pad.
im not the T was added unless the gang holder was broken/ and trust me it wasn't
Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Well this is turning out to be more fun than I expected. Kind of like a mystery slowly unfolding. When my dad and I bought the car 2 years ago, I was more concerned about its condition, the engine it had, and the color combo. The seller of course claimed "matching numbers", but I took that with a huge grain of salt and didn't care enough to check all numbers and date codes. So anything I discover now is just for fun and will aid me if I ever get it judged. I plan to have the car stay in the family for a long long time .

Ok, here are some relevant pics. I haven't decoded anything yet. Let me know if pictures off anything else would help. Sorry if they come out sideways.

TI distributor date code.

Last edited by Patrick03; 02-23-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, started decoding and here is what I think I have:

G12 - March 12th, 1964 body build date
B294 - Feb 29th, 1964 block casting date
4B3 - Feb 3rd, 1964 distributor date

Did I decode these right?

Also, for some reason I thought "RT" at the end of the engine pad was for a 365HP TI ignition engine. I'm confirming the 365HP, but am not finding a reference for the TI anymore. Not sure where I got that info from, but can't find it now.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick03; 02-23-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Casting date February 29 '64, assembly date March 3. So far so good. G12 on the trim tag is March 12 for St. Louis bodied car, if I'm not mistaken, also good. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the original born with engine case.

Edit - I see you've done your own research

RT suffix is indeed 365 hp/TI/manual trans. per the Black Book.

Get Al Grenning to sign off on it and you are good as gold

​​​​​

Last edited by SW Vette; 02-23-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
im not the T was added unless the gang holder was broken/ and trust me it wasn't
I think I have read elsewhere that at the Flint engine plant when things were busy, they sometimes stamped the engine assembly stamping with a gang holder that had only the assembly date and possibly the first character of the engine code. Then, once the specific engine code was determined, they later added one or both of the engine code letters by hand.

I have no direct knowledge of whether this is true or not, but I think I read it from a trustworthy source. Presumably, an experienced NCRS judge would be familiar with this practice if, in fact, it did occur.

Get notified of new replies

To How does my pad look?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
I think I have read elsewhere that at the Flint engine plant when things were busy, they sometimes stamped the engine assembly stamping with a gang holder that had only the assembly date and possibly the first character of the engine code. Then, once the specific engine code was determined, they later added one or both of the engine code letters by hand.

I have no direct knowledge of whether this is true or not, but I think I read it from a trustworthy source. Presumably, an experienced NCRS judge would be familiar with this practice if, in fact, it did occur.
Never heard that. And I looked a lot of Flint stampings and the suffix codes where always aligned. I asked a question on the NCRS TDB about it. The suffix code R was used on 64 passenger car 327 engines. So it would be easy for someone to locate a block dated in the cars date range with that code. Stamp the vin and the second suffix code letter.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:25 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Never heard that. And I looked a lot of Flint stampings and the suffix codes where always aligned. I asked a question on the NCRS TDB about it. The suffix code R was used on 64 passenger car 327 engines. So it would be easy for someone to locate a block dated in the cars date range with that code. Stamp the vin and the second suffix code letter.
That’s my guess as well.

Ed
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

TI cars are very rare in '64, only 552 built, the letter after the "R" was many times looking like an add-on, as in the "RX" stamp on a fuelie TI, like these:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: [C2] How does my pad look?