C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 lost VIN tag

Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The vin appears to be stamped in instead of raised.

Mine was stamped within a week of that one probably, it looks like this:

They are all "stamped" it is just a matter of weather it is from the from or back, referring to the side that yoy read "Chevrolet" as the front.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
They are all "stamped" it is just a matter of weather it is from the from or back, referring to the side that yoy read "Chevrolet" as the front.
But if you put the tag in the machine upside down, wouldn't the numbers be backwards when viewed right-side up?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Here is what I would like to see some one owner cars with no funny history with known GM tags Then I would like to see some Impala tags made at St Louis at the same time. Then known reproductions made by the well known people in the last 40 years.
a 'history', but not funny...

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Seriously ?

The Florida DMV sent out a cop to verify my VIN on the 63 to my house...he stood beside the car and wrote it down while I dictated the digits to him from under the dash. I could have had NO VIN tag and made up any digits...

On my '61 the gal came out of the DMV office and just saw the tag on the steering column and checked off the box on a little form...no way she actually read the digits.
Frankie,
I just read up to your post and had the same experiance more than once.
I read the numbers and they determined that I was honest. On motorcycles the DMV was going to issue a new vin # that they took off my right shock. I had to show them where the real one was. Another cop tool it off my casting # of the block.
A friend that is a detective for Riverside County came over to have a beer and look at my 67 progress. I bought my car in 71 when they totaled it because it would cost about 1500.00 to fix it. I asked him if he could check and see if the car was stolen and wrecked. DMV only go's back 7 years and I said law enforcement should be able to go back far enough to give me the owners name. NOPE he said, that could cost him his job. That told me that there are ways to find out who owned a car. On the stories (TV) they get you to believe that they can go back to Henry Ford!

Dom
Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have long worried about losing my tag on my 60 steering column. What do you guys do to protect the tag from falling off?

Thanks
Don
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
a 'history', but not funny...

Bill
Was that pic taken after the fire?
Here is your VIV, blown up, and mine.

It is interesting to compare the fonts in different letters, the C, the R, the O, The H with other VIN tags posted in this thread.

Notice the two Es in your tag vs the two in mine, your Es are different between the first and second E.

My tag is a repop.

Doug

Name:  ntenm5a.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  95Ao4dF.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  118.1 KB

Last edited by AZDoug; 03-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
I have long worried about losing my tag on my 60 steering column. What do you guys do to protect the tag from falling off?

Thanks
Don
I was so paranoid with my 62, I wrap a piece of wire around it. Took wire off when car was shown.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Was that pic taken after the fire?
Here is your VIV, blown up, and mine.

It is interesting to compare the fonts in different letters, the C, the R, the O, The H with other VIN tags posted in this thread.

Notice the two Es in your tag vs the two in mine, your Es are different between the first and second E.

My tag is a repop.

Doug

Doug

thank you

that is the original column, removed from the car. the picture was taken long after the fire (maybe 30+ years), when I changed the front suspension to an IFS and the column to an Ididit

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 03-13-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I wasn't commenting on the method, I was answering a specific question asked about the bottom vin tag in the picture of three. And, looks like you're having a bad spell of whether up where you are.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by wraplock

Thanks
Don
Go back and read post #66 again. You may have skipped that one.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:20 PM
ballad024
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 59 Vin Tag

I've been following this post on the 60's vin tag so i went out and looked at the Vin tag on my 59. I was stunned at the difference. The car is a base hardtop only, automatic, January 59 build, original motor, at least the casting numbers and engine stamp and other parts seem correct. I bought the car from a barn in Michigan in 1983 and the story is I was the 4th owner. The third owner bought it about '72 and sat it in the barn for 10 years when i saw it. Supposedly this is California car and the parts were all there and it had 39k miles on it. The car is a driver for my wife and I.
This is my Vin tag with the last three purposely blurred. the tag is aluminum, the CHEVROLET is pressed from the back like normal, but the VIN looks to be pressed from the front with a thin die. Is this a repo? What do the 59's look like? I can't image they would be this different from the 60s.

I just joined to send this comment, but I've been stalking this forum for probably 20 years and even back when it was just a lines of text, no graphics, and I printed out posts on a dot matrix printer (and still have them). John Z was on there way back then, (and on the camaro one too!) and I have tremendous respect for him and the amazing details he knows. The knowledge this whole group has is fascinating!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ballad024; 03-31-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Your 59 Tag is original, don’t be confused by looking at 60 and later tags as they are different.
The following users liked this post:
ballad024 (03-31-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:07 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by ballad024
I've been following this post on the 60's vin tag so i went out and looked at the Vin tag on my 59. I was stunned at the difference. The car is a base hardtop only, automatic, January 59 build, original motor, at least the casting numbers and engine stamp and other parts seem correct. I bought the car from a barn in Michigan in 1983 and the story is I was the 4th owner. The third owner bought it about '72 and sat it in the barn for 10 years when i saw it. Supposedly this is California car and the parts were all there and it had 39k miles on it. The car is a driver for my wife and I.
This is my Vin tag with the last three purposely blurred. the tag is aluminum, the CHEVROLET is pressed from the back like normal, but the VIN looks to be pressed from the front with a thin die. Is this a repo? What do the 59's look like? I can't image they would be this different from the 60s.
Corvette VIN tags from 1953 through 1959 have the VIN number STAMPED into the tag (like this one). Also all of the VIN tags for these years are aluminum (except for the first dozen or so 1953 tags, which were stainless steel).

Early 1960 tags were mounted in the door jam like 1953 to 1959. These tags were also made out of aluminum. However, the VIN number on these tags was embossed (pressed in from the back).

Part way through the 1960 model year, the VIN tags were changed from aluminum to stainless steel, and they were now spot welded to the steering column. The VIN number was still embossed into the tag.

This style of VIN tag (stainless steel, embossed VIN numbers) continued through the 1962 model year.

Here is a picture of a 1959 VIN tag for a car that has been wrecked and sitting in the same location since the late 1970s.

And a picture of the car...
Attached Images   

Last edited by emccomas; 04-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.
ballad024 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:42 AM
ballad024
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
Corvette VIN tags from 1953 through 1959 have the VIN number STAMPED into the tag (like this one). Also all of the VIN tags for these years are aluminum (except for the first dozen or so 1953 tags, which were stainless steel).

Early 1960 tags were mounted in the door jam like 1953 to 1959. These tags were also made out of aluminum. However, the VIN number on these tags was embossed (pressed in from the back).

Part way through the 1960 model year, the VIN tags were changed from aluminum to stainless steel, and they were now spot welded to the steering column. The VIN number was still embossed into the tag.

This style of VIN tag (stainless steel, embossed VIN numbers) continued through the 1962 model year.

Here is a picture of a 1959 VIN tag for a car that has been wrecked and sitting in the same location since the late 1970s.

Thanks for posting the pics and the explanation!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jv04

Hard to believe vintage corvettes are sitting out in the woods rotting away.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Hard to believe vintage corvettes are sitting out in the woods rotting away.
Probably guarded by some guy with a shotgun, who is going to restore them "some day".
Old 04-01-2018, 01:26 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Probably guarded by some guy with a shotgun, who is going to restore them "some day".
The "guy" passed away 10 years ago.

I have been helping his widow sell off his project car collection (60 plus cars). MOst of the projects (non-Corvette) are now gone. The Corvettes are not for sale, her son in law is going to restore them (right after hell freezes over).

He is actually just waiting for the widow to pass away so he can get his hands on them and sell them off.

The widow knows all of this, but she is keeping peace in the family (and with her daughter) by keeping quiet about it.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

The widow was smart enough to sell the 53 Corvette. She got a great price for a project car 53.

She now has 2 54s, 2 56s, a 57, a 59, a 60, 2 62s, and a 63 convertible, plus major sections (rear tub, etc) of couple more cars.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 lost VIN tag

Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 PM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

When we bought our car it had a state issued VIN tag. I looked at all the posts on VIN tag reproducers on this section of forum and contacted AGBackeast. The seller of our car told me at about the cars past history and that it currently had a state vin. When I registered the car in my name title was good ,and clear and vin was good. Just as seller promised. No problems. I sent the following to AGBackeast per their request and strict guidelines. Copy of now in our names Title, and pic of VIN stamped in chassis above kick up over driver rear tire. I did this by jacking up car so tire was just off the ground. Then lightly! sanded the dirt away in the vin # area. I sprayed some quick detailer over the stamp area to soak into the depressions of #s. Photographed easier to read #s w iPhone and sent to AGBackeast w $300 check.
A couple of things to note: 1) They explained that some state issued vins are random letters and #s. Mine was a correctly sequence Vette vin and matched the frame stamp. Thank You Lord for that!
2) Due to having few requests for ‘64 vette vin # vin tags, they didn’t have the equipment to stamp out of stainless steel. They could only do aluminum vin plate for me.
I didn’t care, and a few days later a beautiful shiny aluminum vin tag arrived by mail. Looked just like the pics on the web w spaces on each side of the S. I “weathered” it to my statisfaction, and airbrushed the “spot welds” then JBWelded it into place. It will fail the magnet test, but I am just happy to have a correct looking vin plate instead of a state issued one. Again car will be driver and far from perfect so I don’t have to worry much about it. I also have no problem telling any interested folks it is an aluminum reproduction of the vin plate. Many thanks again to this forum’s posts for helping me get this excellent reproduction vin plate!!!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 64SilverbluePhx
When we bought our car it had a state issued VIN tag. I looked at all the posts on VIN tag reproducers on this section of forum and contacted AGBackeast. The seller of our car told me at about the cars past history and that it currently had a state vin. When I registered the car in my name title was good ,and clear and vin was good. Just as seller promised. No problems. I sent the following to AGBackeast per their request and strict guidelines. Copy of now in our names Title, and pic of VIN stamped in chassis above kick up over driver rear tire. I did this by jacking up car so tire was just off the ground. Then lightly! sanded the dirt away in the vin # area. I sprayed some quick detailer over the stamp area to soak into the depressions of #s. Photographed easier to read #s w iPhone and sent to AGBackeast w $300 check.
A couple of things to note: 1) They explained that some state issued vins are random letters and #s. Mine was a correctly sequence Vette vin and matched the frame stamp. Thank You Lord for that!
2) Due to having few requests for ‘64 vette vin # vin tags, they didn’t have the equipment to stamp out of stainless steel. They could only do aluminum vin plate for me.
I didn’t care, and a few days later a beautiful shiny aluminum vin tag arrived by mail. Looked just like the pics on the web w spaces on each side of the S. I “weathered” it to my statisfaction, and airbrushed the “spot welds” then JBWelded it into place. It will fail the magnet test, but I am just happy to have a correct looking vin plate instead of a state issued one. Again car will be driver and far from perfect so I don’t have to worry much about it. I also have no problem telling any interested folks it is an aluminum reproduction of the vin plate. Many thanks again to this forum’s posts for helping me get this excellent reproduction vin plate!!!
Were the authorities aware of you doing this.
64SilverbluePhx (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

Moxie62 Thanks for asking. Yes they are. I contacted the authorities about this (while redoing the steering column - that adventure will be in another post) and I am glad I did. I learned more of my car's history. Date of theft, date of recovery and where the theft occurred statewise. Also they advised me after looking into what may need to be documented re: the repro tag - if it were possible to use it. They researched it and it turns out that the state issued VIN tag (with correct Corvette VIN # stamped on it) would need to stay on our car, in case something were ever to happen to it they could find the history quickly. In AZ at least it will have to stay on our car. And they know my car very well now. So it is. Better safe than sorry. Don't need any hassles when out for a date weekend/road trip with my wife. The good news is they saw that the frame stamp and VIN do match, and they gave what info they legally could. Two of the coolest of AZ's finest. They were awesome!
Brian VH McHale (05-23-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1960 lost VIN tag