C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 lost VIN tag

Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 1960 lost VIN tag

Lost VIN tag on steering column, is there someone that reproduces VIN tag? What kind of hoops do I have jump through to get a new one?
Thanks
40zr1

Popular Reply

03-11-2018, 03:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I just don't think people should make statement about a subject like this with a comment like you made as if you have some kind of 1st hand knowledge or can refer the thread to someone with 1st hand knowledge for conformation. Otherwise it is just someone on the Internet making a statement with no factual backup. This forum is used often by new members or older ones for that matter that are seeking true info. If you don't know the answer for sure or can't make a link to accurate info then just don't answer. I don't know Critter1' background that you linked to above. Did he work in the assembly plant during the time these cars were built?
Are you a charter member of the Flat Earth Society? What kind of documentation is required to prove to you that the sun came up this morning?

I spent 38 years in Chevrolet and Chrysler assembly plants, from assembler to reliefman to repairman to utilityman to Foreman to General Foreman to Superintendent to Production Manager to six years as a Plant Manager, and I know a little about how those places operate; I also worked at St. Louis-Corvette in 1967 and 1968 as a Production Engineer from the Corvette Group and the Chevrolet Pilot Line.

Corvette VIN plates were Graphotyped at the thundering rate of seven per hour (as Critter1 has pointed out previously), and it was entirely possible for the human operating the Graphotype machine to make a mistake. If a mistake was caught while the vehicle was still in the plant, a duplicate replacement was made and installed, and the removed plate with the mistake was given to the Plant Controller, who placed it in his safe with a report, which was shared with the FBI when they performed their semi-annual on-site joint VIN plate and VIN stamp security audit with the State Police (which they still do today). You wouldn't believe the details involved in complying with the FBI requirements.

That's the best I can do for VIN plate documentation for now - my time-traveling GoPro can't go back to 1965 today to film the VIN plate operation - it's down for maintenance.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I didn't know you were able to "re create a VIN #"
Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Many big ones. Most likely you will be issued a new vin tag by the state you reside in with their new state vin number on it. I live in N C and my 44 jeep was titled to the engine # rather than the vin on the frame. The engine is no longer with the jeep and I was trying to get a new title with the vin # on the frame. N C says no way, we will give you 2 new state issued vin tags which we will rivet onto the body and the frame. The original frame vin # will become a secondary vin for our records to ensure the frame is not used later for a jeep restoration or placed under another jeep body. Appealed, but can't win this one!! GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by 59vetteman; 03-08-2018 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
40ZR1 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

a repro vin tag I believe is a crime. how does one loose the vin tag? the proper thing to do is go to your states DMV and apply for a reissue tag
Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IIRC somebody would do that or C2s but you had to have documentation to prove the VINs validity. A bit fuzzy on the details and if they did C1s though.

I'm sure somebody will enlighten us though...
Perhaps it was these guys:

http://www.datatags.com/

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-08-2018 at 05:30 PM.
40ZR1 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
how does one loose the vin tag?
Later C1 vin tags were spot welded to the steering column (in the engine compartment), and have been known to be poorly welded. Ergo, the spot welds fails, the tag falls off while driving, and the tag is "lost".....

The C2 rectified that error by attaching the tag under the dash.....somewhat, since even then, GM went through a change in attachment.

And yes, I think it is Datatags that will make a replacement vin tag, after receiving the proper proof of ownership, etc. Don't know if they do it for the C1 later era Corvettes with the steering column mounted vin.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 03-08-2018 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Plasticman:
40ZR1 (03-09-2018), solidaxel (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

this one makes repro vin tags you need to show title to prove ownership

http://www.tagmyclassic.com/FoxsetSt...id=tagmyclass0
40ZR1 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said I lost my VIN tag but I
assumed anyone who knew VIN tags on 60 vette knew they were spot welded on steering column and prone to coming off. And mine came off and is laying on the road somewhere. I lost it!!!

I took my car to the state police and explained my situation. The officer called police headquarters and an offficer from insurance fraud and auto theft came over and confirmed my explanation (surprised the hell out of me!) even explained the "S" was for St Lewis and the "F" for Flint.

I showed him the VIN number on the block and I had already found and marked the frame where the frame was stamped and told him where to find it. The officer is going to write a letter verifying his inspection.

Now all I have to do is find a source that can reproduce the VIN tag.

Thanks to those with helpful info and please add anymore info on a source.

Thanks
CJ
ptjsk (03-11-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I used tagsagbackeast
as I recall sent a copy of the title and my license.
40ZR1 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by John S 1961
I used tagsagbackeast
as I recall sent a copy of the title and my license.
A little more involved then that. Call them and they will tell you what form you need from your state.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 40ZR1
OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said I lost my VIN tag but I
assumed anyone who knew VIN tags on 60 vette knew they were spot welded on steering column and prone to coming off. And mine came off and is laying on the road somewhere. I lost it!!!

I took my car to the state police and explained my situation. The officer called police headquarters and an offficer from insurance fraud and auto theft came over and confirmed my explanation (surprised the hell out of me!) even explained the "S" was for St Lewis and the "F" for Flint.

I showed him the VIN number on the block and I had already found and marked the frame where the frame was stamped and told him where to find it. The officer is going to write a letter verifying his inspection.

Now all I have to do is find a source that can reproduce the VIN tag.

Thanks to those with helpful info and please add anymore info on a source.

Thanks
CJ
What may be confusing "anyone who knew vin tags on 60 Vette" is there was no vin # on the block on early 60 cars, and early (up until mid Dec) tags were screwed to the door frame with phillips screws. You learn not to assume anything with questions here. From a common sense point of view, I don't see why you couldn't get some relief if the engine and frame vin numbers match each other and the title.

I am not recommending anything, but merely giving information. If all you want is a plate with your vin, check this out. If the picture is accurate, it certainly isn't meant to fool anyone, but to display the vin on a correct tag.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAMPED-CHE...-/253246865214

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-09-2018 at 08:11 AM.
tgtexas02 (08-15-2020)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

OK, let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that you do this.

Now, having said that, I have seen a process where an old used VIN tag was effectively recycled. It was a stainless steel tag, not an earlier Corvette aluminum tag.

If your tag was welded to the steering column, it would have been stainless steel.

This person got an old VIN tag of the correct year, style, and material from a scrap car.

This person hammered the back side of the vin tag on a flat surface to "unstamp" as much of the existing VIN as possible. That actually removed quite a bit of the VIN numbers.

This person then sanded the front side of the VIN tag until what was left of the VIN numbers disappeared. The VIN tag was then lightly polished to remove any sanding marks and give it a uniform appearance.

The rest, as you can guess, is obvious. New VIN numbers stamped on that tag using correct font stamps, then the tag was correctly spot welded to the car. This was done for a classic tri-five Chevy.

Your tag would have had the numbers embossed on it, so it would need to have someone with the correct embossing capability re-apply the numbers.

But the end result would be a factory VIN tag.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I had a similar situation with my '59. Ordered a tag from here
http://www.classicdatatags.com/1955-1963-chevrolet.html
Then had is stamped with correct #. PM if you want the contact info. for this person.
62-C1 (04-02-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAMPED-CHE....c100678.m3607
Here you go !
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jv04
OK, let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that you do this.

Now, having said that, I have seen a process where an old used VIN tag was effectively recycled. It was a stainless steel tag, not an earlier Corvette aluminum tag.

If your tag was welded to the steering column, it would have been stainless steel.

This person got an old VIN tag of the correct year, style, and material from a scrap car.

This person hammered the back side of the vin tag on a flat surface to "unstamp" as much of the existing VIN as possible. That actually removed quite a bit of the VIN numbers.

This person then sanded the front side of the VIN tag until what was left of the VIN numbers disappeared. The VIN tag was then lightly polished to remove any sanding marks and give it a uniform appearance.

The rest, as you can guess, is obvious. New VIN numbers stamped on that tag using correct font stamps, then the tag was correctly spot welded to the car. This was done for a classic tri-five Chevy.

Your tag would have had the numbers embossed on it, so it would need to have someone with the correct embossing capability re-apply the numbers.

But the end result would be a factory VIN tag.

Why in the world would you go through all of that when the guy that has the correct stamping equipment has the correct blank plates?

30 years ago I had a Corvette stolen. The thieves had ripped both of the trim tag and V.I.N. plates in 1/2 tearing them out of the car. The car was recovered and the pieces of the plates were laying on the floor of the car on the passenger side. When they arrested the thieves they were in the process of removing the engine from the car. I later had to talk to the arresting officer to get a form detailing the incident in order to have the V.I.N. tag reproduced along with the trim tag from AG back East doing business as http://www.datatags.com/ This was not illegal under the circumstances but the producer of the tags has to follow the Federal law guidelines to be able to do this. His tags and equipment will create an original type undetectable reproduction tag that will maintain the value of your car rather than the “curse of death” state issued replacement tag that will greatly de-value your car.
64SilverbluePhx (04-01-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:22 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Yep. I'd guess that the appropriately named 'Curse Of Death" state issued VIN tag would reduce the value of the car 50%....at least it would for me. Having a VIN tag fall off my steering column would bum me out, and I would do all I could (as the P.O. has done) to get a factory type tag re-installed, as long as it was legal. What do you hot rodders do on a '60-'62 when you junk the stock steering column and go with rack and pinion steering? In CA, any removal/replacement/relocation of the vin plate is considered tampering.....but there have to be allowances for these custom cars, I'd think.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Why in the world would you go through all of that when the guy that has the correct stamping equipment has the correct blank plates?

30 years ago I had a Corvette stolen. The thieves had ripped both of the trim tag and V.I.N. plates in 1/2 tearing them out of the car. The car was recovered and the pieces of the plates were laying on the floor of the car on the passenger side. When they arrested the thieves they were in the process of removing the engine from the car. I later had to talk to the arresting officer to get a form detailing the incident in order to have the V.I.N. tag reproduced along with the trim tag from AG back East doing business as http://www.datatags.com/ This was not illegal under the circumstances but the producer of the tags has to follow the Federal law guidelines to be able to do this. His tags and equipment will create an original type undetectable reproduction tag that will maintain the value of your car rather than the “curse of death” state issued replacement tag that will greatly de-value your car.
I have yet to see an "undetectable" reproduction VIN tag for these year Corvettes.

I am not saying it doesn't exist, but I (and many others) have looked at a lot of repo VIN tags, and some are easy to detect, others not quite so easy. But something always gives them away.

I have had many people confirm that their VIN tag was repo after I stated that I believed it to be.

I have had many people deny that their VIN tag was repo after I stated that I believed it to be, and even after I pointed out why I thought so.

I have yet to have someone tell me that their tag was repo after I stated that I believed it was original.

I do not consider myself an expert on this topic, but I have listened and learned from many who I do consider to be experts on this subject.
GTOguy (03-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 lost VIN tag

Old 03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

If everything else is on the up and up, and all that was needed was to replace a lost tag, I would be very reluctant to go to the authorities for advice. On another forum a member did the exact same thing you did but when they came out they impounded his car. They didn't even try to verify his information, they simply saw that it had no VIN and it was gone. It took massive red tape to retrieve and it had a state-issued VIN when it was.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a C2 CA car that had a salvege vin welded to the frame.
Anyone could have changed that tag as it was done by the Highway Patrol with hardware store stamps.
Police here in CA are not allowed anymore to inspect vin #sn because they don't know where to look. CA DMV also was puzzeled when I explained where they were on the frame.
My car was out of the DMV system for over 7 years, the body was off the freme, and I paid a vin verification (state DMV approved) to come to the shop and inspect the #s.
I showed him the tag that I removed from the frame and a set of repo tags. All my paper work was in order, bill of sale, title with CA after the vin showing the car was written off by the insurance, and he said all was in order.
NOW I asked him if I could install the repo tags on the body and he said go for it!! He also told me to apply for a lost title and the new title would come back with the CA removed from the vin. He told me the car was restored well and in the interest of OUR hobby, the tags would be the icing on the cake.
I'm not hiding behind my repo vin tags and IF ever I sell the car the salvage bill of sale with the vin on it, the old title with the CA after the vin, all will be on the table.
If the car is proven legal, there is WAAAY to much value put on 2 small tags that don't make the car nicer looking or run better. I will say this again, "would we devalue a family member that lost their birth certificate"??
I get compliments on my car, not my tags.

Dom
jimgessner (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jv04
I have yet to see an "undetectable" reproduction VIN tag for these year Corvettes.

I am not saying it doesn't exist, but I (and many others) have looked at a lot of repo VIN tags, and some are easy to detect, others not quite so easy. But something always gives them away.

I have had many people confirm that their VIN tag was repo after I stated that I believed it to be.

I have had many people deny that their VIN tag was repo after I stated that I believed it to be, and even after I pointed out why I thought so.

I have yet to have someone tell me that their tag was repo after I stated that I believed it was original.

I do not consider myself an expert on this topic, but I have listened and learned from many who I do consider to be experts on this subject.
your never win with him on this subject.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1960 lost VIN tag