C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Transport Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Transport Help

I purchased my 66 convertible back in December in Michigan. As she was safe and warm in a climate controlled building I elected to wait until the snows stopped before bringing her home to NY. At issue is that the location where she is stored is in a private community the roads of which do not permit the maneuvering of a 80' long enclosed transport rig (Passport). Does anyone know of a reliable enclosed transport utilizing smaller set ups that I can use? Trying to avoid just driving her home (300 miles) as with any new ride, you don't know what you don't know reliability wise. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I have met the trucks at the local Walmart, shopping center, or parking lot.

I am sure the owner would work with you taking it a mile or 2 to meet a truck.

Tell the transport you need a 2 hour window.

If not look in back of hemmings but get someone that owns their own truck, not a broker.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
I have met the trucks at the local Walmart, shopping center, or parking lot.

I am sure the owner would work with you taking it a mile or 2 to meet a truck.

Tell the transport you need a 2 hour window.

If not look in back of hemmings but get someone that owns their own truck, not a broker.

Good luck and welcome to the Corvette Forum... by all means post some pictures when you can.

GUSTO
Old 03-20-2018, 12:27 PM
jsieczkos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

Good luck and welcome to the Corvette Forum... by all means post some pictures when you can.

GUSTO
Call Brian Colville 781-812-7379. He operates out of Fall River, MA and has a two car enclosed car trailer. Very reasonable rates. Brian just recently transported my 1967. Quality guy.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,942 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If all the trucks who brought the supply’s to build the houses made it back those roads so can a car transporter. Just saying.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If all the trucks who brought the supply’s to build the houses made it back those roads so can a car transporter. Just saying.
No doubt it could be done, I have driven out there 3 times now and it would be fine. Thing is from Google maps imaging it looks tighter that it is and I am guessing they don't want to make the trip on spec only to find out it's a N/G. It's a delayed but not defeated kind of thing, I'll get her home some way.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,942 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C2Dude
No doubt it could be done, I have driven out there 3 times now and it would be fine. Thing is from Google maps imaging it looks tighter that it is and I am guessing they don't want to make the trip on spec only to find out it's a N/G. It's a delayed but not defeated kind of thing, I'll get her home some way.
Like the other poster said if the transport company is not willing to go the guys house you could always arrange to meet in a big parking lot
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsieczkos
Call Brian Colville 781-812-7379. He operates out of Fall River, MA and has a two car enclosed car trailer. Very reasonable rates. Brian just recently transported my 1967. Quality guy.
Thanks man. Brian is more a east coast carrier but he referenced Diesel Dan who he knows and whom has the same rig. Dan will get me a quote later today so I am officially hopeful. As a last resort I'll have to do the U Haul auto transport rental and grab her myself but I would prefer an enclosed transport.
Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Like the other poster said if the transport company is not willing to go the guys house you could always arrange to meet in a big parking lot
Passport had mentioned that. Thing is the owner of the storage building is 90 and not at all interested in driving her...or anything else for that matter. I would need to drive back out there (5 hours each way) , which I have done 3 times now. One of the other guy's steered me in a direction that got me talking with guy with a two car hauler that may work. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

I've good success with Plycar, great rates and very quick pick up and delivery.

Hire a local tow truck company and have them go in and get the car on a flat bed and take it to spot like a WalMart or something similar to meet the bigger truck.

Good luck on it.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harps
I've good success with Plycar, great rates and very quick pick up and delivery.

Hire a local tow truck company and have them go in and get the car on a flat bed and take it to spot like a WalMart or something similar to meet the bigger truck.

Good luck on it.
We've used Plycar a number of times. Top Notch all around.

Best,
Dave
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car must be special if you can’t put it on a u haul ( $60 ) and take her home. You do know that to drive and enjoy it you have to be out in the open air. It won’t melt. And when driving home on an open trailer you will get many thumbs up, etc. it’ll be fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Transport Help

Quick Reply: Transport Help