C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1958 hood support

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1958 hood support

could anyone attach or send me pictures of their hood support on hood to see where it lines up? Ours is supposed to be on the right and I have tried sending a couple private messages to no avail. I would absolutely love to see some pictures of it on the right side from someone that has the generator on the right side too but even pictures of where it lines up on the left side on a 58Late to 62 would be interesting because we considered putting it on that side but we can’t get it close to lining up over there. We have two hood supports one supposed to be for the left and one supposed to be for the right. They seem identical other than the bracket on the hood side is opposite way and actually the one for the left seems to look better on the hood when using it on the right. I would greatly appreciate any pictures. And maybe some advice after I look at the pictures....
jasonc@shentel.net

thanks!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM
mi58v
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Here are pictures of my 58 right hand side hood support. Don't forget to put something in the "title" of your messages or they will not send. Good luck. Mike

Old 03-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Oh, ok maybe that’s why I didn’t get a response. Thanks mike. This looks identical to ours when placed on the right. I was just curious as to why the bracket has to be facing the outside of the hood. The other mount we have when mounted on he right seems to look nicer because the bracket faces toward that extra flat part of hood. Is there a structural advantage to having it face the outside I wonder? It doesn’t seem like there would be.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default Here it is on right

The other support we have the bracket is facing the other way at the hood and we think it looks better but we thought it was a late 58 -62 support. I don’t have a picture but it’s identical other than that... neither one of them even come close to lining up on the left side. Does anyone know if there’s a difference in length of the two supports. Maybe ours are both for this side because on the other, they aren’t close to the flat part I will try to get a pic...
Actually ours looks a little lower than yours but close...
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

This pic is obviously before we have it attached we ant to be sure of what we’re doing.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Do the late 58s and 59 attach to the car the same way? Maybe that’s what we are doing wrong on that side. I am going to attach a picture of the support on that side maybe I’m mounting it wrong for the late 58... you’ll see what I mean.. in the picture you can see the holes filled in because this under skin cane from a 59. We thought about putting it over here but it doesn’t line up at all. So we filled them in and fixed the generator clearance on the other side (Thanks Mike)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I learn something new about my ‘58 everyday. Here’s the way my hood support is mounted which is probably not correct but works great.
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Treh1 thanks, that’s exactly what ours looks like with the one we were told was for a late 58-62 with that hood bracket facing that way!! We actually think we like that better looks wise. And didn’t figure there was a structural issue. This is all very helpful thanks. Now we are so curious to see a drivers side mount! These pictures from you all have been great thanks!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

I am struggling attaching this picture I hope it finally worked here is the one that treh1 (we think you have we were told for left side) you can see where the old holes were from the 59(that’s what this skin came from) the holes weren’t even close to where we can get the support, in fact you can see it doesn’t even reach the flat part of the under skin. So anyone with a 59 or a left side mount, any reasons?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

The hood support for the driver side mounts on the fender lip not the radiator support
Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Oh I wondered that! Thanks! I thought I read that somewhere. That explains the drivers side support.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a drawing from the AIM
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Yes drivers side mount. I see it. And I knew that about the fender lip, I had just forgot by the time we got to this part of the project. UGH learning and forgetting so much along the way. So many mistakes/retakes and everything along the way.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default Changing from hood support to hood release

ok now a slight change of topic staying with the hood, could anyone show me how and where the hood release cable handle ends up in the car. Ours is missing everything. We got the cable and dash but have no idea where or how this mounts. And pictures or info. We think we know where it comes through the firewall, but even some clarification on that would be awesome. Thanks guys for all the quick replies and pictures. They’ve been so helpful.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:19 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Dose this help?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default Yes

ok Now I see it coming through, now how about a pic of the handle at end of cable. We are missing any bracket or hardware it is mounted with and do no know where or what it mounts with.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default I see

I see to the left there we are going to need that black post like thing i assume it’s going up to a bracket to hold handle.

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 hood support

Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Jason Conroy
Now we are so curious to see a drivers side mount! These pictures from you all have been great thanks!
Bill
Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default Thanks Bill

Haha ask and you shall receive!! Thanks Bill!
Originally Posted by wmf62
Bill
Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Jason Conroy
Instructor

Default We have made progress

I think I would still like to see a basc list of what parts are different from a early 58 to a late 58 that have to do with generator clearance of hood support and radiator hose/belt clearance. We have made progress but our generator is damn close to hood support and belt is damn close to radiator hose and We’d like to see if we could get some more distance between either. Because the belt seems dangerously close to radiator hose. One thing we haven’t done is change the other two pulleys to 1957 pulleys as mentioned in that one book I found pictures of on this forum somewhere. Could anyone explain what we would gain from the 57 pulleys. I certainly don’t think it can move the generator as there is no adjustment in the U shaped bracket... we made some progress with help from Mike we just are looking for more improvements to make more correct.

Quick Reply: [C1] 1958 hood support