C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1/C2 NCRS Vintage Air deductions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Good point, Ed, I hadn't thought about that.

Frankie, you need to write a letter to the chief NCRS judge....
a). I had my thread closed on the NCRS site back when I brought this up, and,
b). I wrote to the NCRS National Judging Chairman back when my car was judged, per the documented appeal protocol, and the silence was deafening — never a word.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
I decided to ask "over there".

They are already mad at me about so many other things, one more won't hurt.
And I did get a few answers, pretty much what I expected.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
OK, here is what really pizzes me off about NCRS judging, and I've had this conversation with Chuck Gongloff many times...

a person goes through judging and they get what I would call a 'punchlist' of things to be corrected. they correct them and come back for the next judging venue (same location) and NEW items are found (NOTHING had been changed other than the corrections) and there is a new list of items... they correct those and get judged again and , viola, there is still another list of items.....

Chuck's point is that there is most likely a new set of eyes with different expertises looking different things so the new list is justified.

I cry FOUL, and suggest that every car that has ever been judged may not be what it was supposed to be...

a different spin on Frank's consistency post

Bill
Yep, I agree completely, and I do NOT have a solution for it.

One suggestion I heard many years ago was that once a car started the judging process (at a regional level - event), then no further issues could cause a point deduction unless the owner had a chance to resolve the issue without penalty. They would be noted on the next judging sheet, but since they were not identified in the first regional judging, they would not count against the owner at this point.

However, they could and would be counted against the car at another regional or national if (and only if) they had previously been identified.

Example:

Regional #1 - car gets a 2 point deduction for item one, but item 2 is not detected.

Regional #2 - owner fixes item 1, and gets the points back, but item 2 is now detected, which would normally be a 5 point deduction. A note is made on the judging sheet, but no point deduction is made for item 2.

Regional #3 - owner fixes item 2, but item 3 is now detected, which would nomally be a 10 point deduction. No deduction, but a note is made on the judging sheet.

National - owner decides not to fix item 3, so now a 10 point deduction is made. Item 4 is detected and noted, but no point deduction is made.

Regional #4 - owner has not fixed item 3 or item 4, so deductions for both items are made.

The idea was shot down quickly.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

NCRS does not allow people to use it's discussion board to complain about the organization or the decisions made by the organization.

Those sorts of things get people suspended from the board (sometimes permanently), or from the organization.
I saw that happen many times.

For example, remember the guy that insisted/claimed ncrs was a business. He infrequently posts here, now after he was banned there.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-19-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

And I did get a few answers, pretty much what I expected.
Go read post #7.......a different perspective.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Inconsistencies?

What about the '63-'64 JG that has had serious errors in it from the first edition? Some well meaning informed judges cal it by the book and some ignore the errors in the book.

Been going on for decades now despite many attempts to fix that little problem. And it would be so easy to fix.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
Inconsistencies?

What about the '63-'64 JG that has had serious errors in it from the first edition? Some well meaning informed judges cal it by the book and some ignore the errors in the book.

Been going on for decades now despite many attempts to fix that little problem. And it would be so easy to fix.
Nothing that a little "accident" would not cure. Otherwise, I know of no other solution (just kidding)

I am all in favor of term limits for ALL NCRS official positions, elected or appointed. You need new blood, and a different set of eyes / pre-conceived notions after a while.

But I know better than to suggest this idea "over there"

Last edited by emccomas; 03-19-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
I saw that happen many times.

For example, remember the guy that insisted/claimed ncrs was a business. He infrequently posts here, now after he was banned there.
He was / is right, NCRS IS a business.

He just should not have kept posting it over there.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Here we go!!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by mike coletta:
mark6669 (03-20-2018), Mint 66 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

If you go over to the NCRS web site and look at the latest discussion on aftermarket A/C point deductions, it rapidly becomes apparent that little or nothing has been solved. There is still ample confusion and disagreement about what counts for what.

Heck of a way to run a "business", and pretty embarrassing.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by fyreline
If you go over to the NCRS web site and look at the latest discussion on aftermarket A/C point deductions, it rapidly becomes apparent that little or nothing has been solved. There is still ample confusion and disagreement about what counts for what.

Heck of a way to run a "business", and pretty embarrassing.
Yes, one member over there said that they had a big meeting about the Vintage Air A/C issue at a NC meet and decided the max deduct was rightfully 175 points.

More data for my contention that the recent standard (300 pt minimum) was purposefully meant to keep aftermarket A/C cars out of the Top Flight category...

The poster then courageously said the National Chairman's decision was wrong. Apparently this edict didn't exactly quell the rancor on the topic

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-19-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

My guess is that it has been resolved insofar as Regional and National meets. I think the National Team Leaders all have the same sheet of music now, and will be using it to judge added RPOptions when they are observed / detected. How many points are taken off for those added items will probably vary to some degree.
When you get down to chapter meets, there is no telling how added options will fare. I imagine there will be wide varience from meet to meet.
The important thing is that we all keep having fun enjoying our corvettes.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

When my 63 was judged regionally with the Vintage Air I was asked if I was presenting the car as a factory A/C car. I replied "no", my response didn't get me much as the judging was conducted as if it was being presented as a factory A/C car.

This nuance is important; apparently aftermarket A/C is now being considered retro-fitting an RPO vs adding something non-factory (say a side view mirror). If that is the case then yes, the game has changed as far as scoring...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it seems pretty clear to me that, other than a standard deduction of 300 points right off of the top, there is not a consensus on how big of a hit an add on aftermarket A/C system will get.

The best I can determine from the thread I started on the NCRS DB is that the deduction starts at 300 points before they even start looking at the car to see what else is wrong / modified / incorrect as a result of the installation of the Vintage A/C system.

I always thought that the standard deduction was supposed to cover the entire thing. Obviously not.

I have no explanation for this one.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well, it seems pretty clear to me that, other than a standard deduction of 300 points right off of the top, there is not a consensus on how big of a hit an add on aftermarket A/C system will get.

The best I can determine from the thread I started on the NCRS DB is that the deduction starts at 300 points before they even start looking at the car to see what else is wrong / modified / incorrect as a result of the installation of the Vintage A/C system.

I always thought that the standard deduction was supposed to cover the entire thing. Obviously not.

I have no explanation for this one.
A bit perplexing to be sure. How is Vintage Air, added on to a NON factory A/C car different than side pipes on an AOS body or A/C on a 435hp car ?

I'm not sure this is over
Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Oh God, I hope it is.......
Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Wow....58 posts on this topic over on the NCRS web site...before the thread was closed; because 'members are complaining' - guess the old guard were incensed - the folks whose cars sit under covers just waiting to be trailer-ed to the next NCRS event.

Color me shocked - I gave it about 1/2 that many -- tops!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-21-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C1/C2 NCRS Vintage Air deductions

Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 PM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 135 Posts

FtF- I have no problem with YOU. This is not criticism... simply a casual observation from a different perspective.

For years, you have been faithfully exclaiming: I'm over it... I've put it behind me... I've moved on... It is what it is... I'm proud of my high Second Flight... yet, you seem to constantly toss in a 'BUT'. The added BUT essentially means that whatever you said previously, was not the total truth... now you are going to tell us how you really feel.

Let me propose a different scenario... which disregards all the Vintage Air components you've installed. Knowing what you did AFTER the judging, you've indicated several items have been corrected... including the paint. Had this all been done PRIOR to your Flight Judging, it's quite possible you would have received a Top Flight award. Therefore, the current problem was NOT the added A/C... it was initial preparation. And if you did receive a TF award, I'm betting this would have been a moot topic.

On to judging inconsistencies. Although the NCRS strives for consistency and publishes written guidelines, itz clearly evident that HUMANS seem to interpret the written word quite differently. Presently, we can't seem to agree on what a 'minimum' deduction means. Folks get upset and complain when 'new' judging eyes yield different results... it's no different than seeking a second opinion from a doctor (where you sometimes pray for a different diagnosis).

A scab seldom heals, if you keep picking at it. Relax... enjoy your beautiful Vette... especially with the added comfort of A/C. Installing it makes total sense... except for NCRS Flight judging.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wow....58 posts on this topic over on the NCRS web site...before the thread was closed; because 'members are complaining' - guess the old guard were incensed - the folks whose cars sit under covers just waiting to be trailer-ed to the next NCRS event.

Color me shocked - I gave it about 1/2 that many -- tops!
There are quite a few people over there that are not pleased with this decision, and that quickly became apparent.

Once the thread started getting uncomfortable, they employed the "standard" discussion ending mechanism.

And it is still not clear, even over there, what the "standard deduction" is for add on A/C.

I got three different answers...

1. The maximum deduction is 300 points.
2. The starting deduction is 300 points, and then additional deductions for other items as appropriate.
3. The expected deduction, once all things were assessed would be around 300 points.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Like I said in a previous post - I hadn't even thought about this whole topic until some friends contacted me about the new guidance. I think some 'project' feelings into my musings that simply don't exist.

If I really gave a nit about a TF, I'd have my heater box patched up or buy another one and reinstall it and the car would sail through judging. Especially with the new single-stage paint properly dulled down in all the right spots... Prob no more than a solid weekend's work.

Not interested enough to do it..
I think that says it all...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-21-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: C1/C2 NCRS Vintage Air deductions