C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 63-65 A/C Compressor Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default 63-65 A/C Compressor Warning

Those of you with 63-65 A/C cars know the label/sticker/decal I'm referring to.

Based on original units that I've seen, I'm convinced that the orange warning message was a waterslide decal, not a sticker.

Notice how pieces have flaked off, which is how an old decal would look.

Of course I've never been able to find an actual decal --only stickers with pressure-sensitive adhesive.

Dom, if you're out there, I'd welcome your input given the quantity of A6 units that you've brought back to life.

Mike

BTW I did try to create a decal, by inkjet printing onto clear waterslide paper. Bombed out on this one. When applied, the letters were not visible against the black background.

Last edited by Mike Geary; 03-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:34 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Dom restored mine and it sure looks like a water slide decal. Of course, it's still the same reproduction warning label where "refrigerent" is spelled wrong.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:34 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I dont think a water slide decal would work on a production line JMO I will look and see if I have one of those original compressors around.
Mark
Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jprop
Dom restored mine and it sure looks like a water slide decal. Of course, it's still the same reproduction warning label where "refrigerent" is spelled wrong.
The "refrigerant" unit that I have seen/used, was always a stick-on which caused a "milky" background.

Does yours show the black paint clearly through the "decal"?

Mike

Mark: I agree with you that a waterslide decal doesn't seem to fit on high volume production. But it's not paper and appears to be thin & glossy.

Last edited by Mike Geary; 03-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:50 PM
jprop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
The "refrigerant" unit that I have seen/used, was always a stick-on which caused a "milky" background.

Does yours show the black paint clearly through the "decal"?

Mike

Mark: I agree with you that a waterslide decal doesn't seem to fit on high volume production. But it's not paper and appears to be thin & glossy.
Mine is clear, not "milky" like the reproductions. I've tried the peel and stick. It looked better with nothing at all. I'll try to get a picture.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Mine is clear, not "milky" like the reproductions. I've tried the peel and stick. It looked better with nothing at all. I'll try to get a picture.
thanks - sounds like Dom had a run of decals made up. Which makes sense.

If the background is clear, I don't see how it could have pressure-sensitive adhesive. That's why I keep thinking "decal", although it doesn't make production sense...
Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 PM
jprop
Drifting

thanks - sounds like Dom had a run of decals made up. Which makes sense.

If the background is clear, I don't see how it could have pressure-sensitive adhesive. That's why I keep thinking "decal", although it doesn't make production sense...
What doesn't make sense is that "refrigerent" is still spelled wrong. If he had a run made up then why not correct the spelling. My gut feeling is that a decal was available at one time. Also, the font and letter spacing on the decal is wrong. A few years ago I had a new sticker made up with the font, spacing and spelling done correctly. I used a black background instead of clear. It was, obviously, still a peel and stick but, at least, it was an accurate rendition of the original label. The problem was that the adhesive would start to loosen when the compressor got warm. I'd have to replace the sticker each time before judging.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:19 PM
jprop
Drifting

What doesn't make sense is that "refrigerent" is still spelled wrong. If he had a run made up then why not correct the spelling. My gut feeling is that a decal was available at one time. Also, the font and letter spacing on the decal is wrong. A few years ago I had a new sticker made up with the font, spacing and spelling done correctly. I used a black background instead of clear. It was, obviously, still a peel and stick but, at least, it was an accurate rendition of the original label. The problem was that the adhesive would start to loosen when the compressor got warm. I'd have to replace the sticker each time before judging.
Notice the difference in font and spacing from your original. Pretty obvious.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Geary (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

This stick-on is offered by the Buick/Pontiac/Olds restoration suppliers.
It's actually not too bad.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Mike:

I am old enough to clearly remember the 1950's and 1960's. We had/used water decals for most things in the early 1960's..........there was very few adhesive stickers available (if at all). Remember those school decals (water application) we used to put in the back window of our cars?? Convertibles were not immune.

I believe adhesive stickers and stripes started being routinely used in the 1970's.

I can support the use of the water decal for the early A6.

Larry
Mike Geary (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:43 PM
jprop
Drifting

This stick-on is offered by the Buick/Pontiac/Olds restoration suppliers.
It's actually not too bad.

That's the most accurate one I've seen. Too bad it's not a decal.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

The ones Ive been looking at from various have the warning as a decal. Some have a misspelling included. ("refrigerEnt")

Incidentally, most sources state the '63 didnt have the upper sticker at all, just 2 foil tags.
Attached Images   
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
The ones Ive been looking at from various have the warning as a decal. Some have a misspelling included. ("refrigerEnt")

Incidentally, most sources state the '63 didnt have the upper sticker at all, just 2 foil tags.

Yeah I've bought some of those in past years, but they were not decals.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Notice the difference in font and spacing from your original. Pretty obvious.

Did you get dinged for your service port caps not being plated?
Now how esoteric is that?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I always thought the orange "CAUTION" was silk screened onto early compressors. I've never seen an original one up close, but from looking at the pictures posted, it does appear to be a decal.

I don't see that installing a decal in production, would be an issue for GM, they used decals on valve covers, oil fill caps, washer bottles, etc.

Originally Posted by Powershift
I believe adhesive stickers and stripes started being routinely used in the 1970's.
GM was using foil and paper labels in the 50's. I know some, like the Posi labels, needed to have glue applied to them for installation, but others, such as the coolant warning labels, were "crack & peel".

GM used a mix of label types. They were using paper labels, water soluble decals and silk screening in the 50's. GM started using foil crack & peel labels around 62-63, and vinyl stripes and exterior graphics around 66-67, though Ford had been using vinyl for the wood grain on their wagons since 55.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Mike,
I used the water slide on them until I found out about the spelling. I complained to the vendor I bought the decals from and they said I was stuck with all that I bought. Then got a call from them saying that they had a new corrected label.
Used one and couldn't read it. The instructions said it would be hazy/milky looking, and it was something I wouldn't use again. It was a stick on.
Saw one on a compressor that was a stick on with a black background but don't remember much other than I thought it was better than the others.
Had a few professed original 63 compressors and they had a spot welded metal data plate on them and only 3 mounting holes on the back plate.
The raised date code is a question? Some are under and between the inlet and outlet on the back plate, and some are under the right outlet.
Is this a era code or possibly 2 different vendors making the back plates? I checked the day of the week and didn't find a Sunday. Now they seemed to run 2 shifts to keep up and some with a shift 3 on the foil sticker!
When I worked as a Chevy mechanic GM had a code for about every thing. Gaskets had a thread inside that indicated what year it was used. That was for warranty work. So could a B 12 4 be a 1964 04 1974?

Dom
Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dom!

I've been looking for a source of custom decals, and there are a few out there. But haven't gone any further for now.

It might be worth the minimum order cost to get a few hundred made up. There were 4000+ A/C cars produced in 64/65, if memory serves, and I've always thought they have a higher-than-average survival rate.
Particularly the A/C + PG cars.

So I don't think it would be a problem selling several hundred correct decals.

I was thinking of vinyl stick-on labels, which would look almost identical to a decal on the A6, but the question of heat loosening the adhesive is concern.

Anyway, as always, appreciate your input. Talk to you soon about doing an A6 for me.

Mike in Temecula

Get notified of new replies

To 63-65 A/C Compressor Warning

Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks Dom!

I've been looking for a source of custom decals, and there are a few out there. But haven't gone any further for now.

It might be worth the minimum order cost to get a few hundred made up. There were 4000+ A/C cars produced in 64/65, if memory serves, and I've always thought they have a higher-than-average survival rate.
Particularly the A/C + PG cars.

So I don't think it would be a problem selling several hundred correct decals.

I was thinking of vinyl stick-on labels, which would look almost identical to a decal on the A6, but the question of heat loosening the adhesive is concern.

Anyway, as always, appreciate your input. Talk to you soon about doing an A6 for me.

Mike in Temecula
Mike,
Daughter and family just moved from Temecula to Murrieta.
I have removed the foil with a heat gun, but they seem to stick.
I was given a # of one that makes repo stickers.
Jim Osborne Reproductions: (770) 962- 5881 or 7556. Give it a try.

Dom
Mike Geary (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Default Warning Label Artwork

If I can get this made in a waterslide... I'll let all you C60 guys know.
Except 66/67 owners of course...

Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 PM
jprop
Drifting

If I can get this made in a waterslide... I'll let all you C60 guys know.
Except 66/67 owners of course...

Mike,
If you have access to a laser printer you might give this a try. Modelers have been making their own decals for years using inkjet and laser printers. A few years ago I purchased some blank water slide decal paper at a local hobby shop. I printed the compressor warning decal with an inkjet printer. Although it worked, once applied to the compressor housing, the orange print was less vibrant against the black background of the compressor making it difficult to read. I never tried it on a laser printer which I think would work better. Since that time, it seems that they have come out with better paper that may do the job. I might suggest going to some plastic modelers websites. Lot of Google information out there also.
Jim

Quick Reply: [C2] 63-65 A/C Compressor Warning