C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 front fenders are these NOS or repo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I wouldn't use an old/leftover panel made by Corvette Image because it might be one of the defective ones from years ago. Old Sermersheim's yes, because they are a dead giveaway NOT to be CI defective parts and therefore safe to use.

Unless I was guaranteed that a panel is original GM, I'd go with a brand new America's Finest, old or new Sermersheim's.

That's my advice to the OP.

As far as 1965 panels being blond.................I'm fairly sure that they were a mix of blonde and gray, as that was a changeover year when blond old stock panels were being used, along with new which were made with gray resin. My 1965 floorpan, deck lid and firewall are blond and most of the rest are gray.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-20-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IN MY OPINION>>>

The first photo you posted in POST#17 is a DEAD give away to this part being an original. If you look at hat photo. The extreme definition of how the fiberglass has taken form is telling me that a steel die was used under very high pressure.

From what I have seen in the past. Areas of a panel that have such sharp 90 degree bends in them....when made by the other companies that do NOT use steel dies under extreme presses. They seem to not be able to get the 90 degree bend just right.

DUB
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Here's a pic of the lower nose I used. They aren't great as I wasn't intending to show that part when I took them. but I think if you look at the pic with the Rockwell sticker you'll see the resemblance to your pics.

Last edited by Robert61; 03-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Default NOS Exhaust Panel Photos

They are not for sale.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Proof is in the pudding as they say...( I think)...and in the past two posts...the photos clearly show that factory panels have very nice tight sharp edges.

And even though a handlaid part or one made the other manufacturers that make press molded parts...the backside of the panel would just and clean and crisp.

DUB
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Proof is in the pudding as they say...( I think)...and in the past two posts...the photos clearly show that factory panels have very nice tight sharp edges.

And even though a handlaid part or one made the other manufacturers that make press molded parts...the backside of the panel would just and clean and crisp.

DUB
Thank you, I think this gives all of us a lesson on recognizing original panels
Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

OK Dub and crosskeystv:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I had to do it.

You see, the panel shown in post #24 is from Corvette Image, vintage 2004. Complete with crisp edges, part(?) numbers and visible glass strands.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
OK Dub and crosskeystv:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I had to do it.

You see, the panel shown in post #24 is from Corvette Image, vintage 2004. Complete with crisp edges, part(?) numbers and visible glass strands.
YES..I am aware that Corvette Image parts can have the actual part number in them due to the took molds off of original parts.

And posting a photo of that ONE 90 degree bend that was made into the part is ALL I had to go off of. Post more photos of the area around the bend a the license plate.

So..I CAN SAY...that the fender he has are correct ( in my opinion)...because the lower fender where the rocker panel is is something completely different to create than a single 90 degree bend.

Or I can say you are full of it also and you are actually posting areal GM part to start a controversy....and you basically LIED and thus...ruined any credibility I had for you. ( Not that what I think of you should mean JACK SQUAT)

It is a crying shame that you have so much time on your hands to create DRAMA.

And it is also a crying shame that you talk bad about Corvette Image parts but you have them 'laying around'. I do not know what to now believe in what you write.

DUB
Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by crosskeystv
[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-65_left_nos_03862d7ab64f
cb2aa8f0ae46e9cd82f555d43ce4.jpg[/IMG]

Do I have good repos or GM originals?

Just my quick opinion and I'm not reading all the other stuff because for me it's a sore spot.

The top picture is a reproduction, the lower picture is a NOS fender panel. To me.. there is too much resin in the top louvers, while the lower one is just like the original panels I have here... (they still have the picking tag on them).

The color of the glass should be the same whether it's on the louver panel or on the lip.. The GM panels were consistent... Sometimes they would cut the holes out a bit jagged but the press molded panel was for the most part the same color and texture fiberglass throughout. (I have many examples of original glass here including 63-4, 65-66 and 67 panels, 58-61, 62 side fenders, top fenders). Remember I was there when this stuff was available from GM.

I loaned my NOS set to Shermersheims so that they could fix their mold...

Yes, they have an issue with these panels and all their mid year side panels... so if you order a front end from them do not order it with the side fenders attached, you'll have problems installing it on the car if you do... order it with the side panels unattached.

Two reasons...

1) the top lip is too short on the reproduction panels, they are short by 1/8". but if you order an assembled front end from them and the fenders are on the car... that's 1/4" total fubar and there is not enough slack in the front end to hook it on one side and then get it over the other.

2) the louvers are not in the 100 percent correct position... so you'll have to grind away at the inner bonding strips to the panels in place.

Lee had my NOS panels for two years and did nothing with them. Even though I drove there and showed them the issue (Why I have no idea). When we restored the white 65 four or five years ago I did a video to show them what the issue was... The NOS panel fit right on the car, the reproduction wouldn't without grinding away at the inner bonding strip. I emailed them the link and was told that "he's probably not watch it"... they still did nothing... What a waste of time and effort.... I've got the video buried on our youtube page and have thought many time about making it public. Sadly, I wish they would have listened... Their products are top notch in most cases but this issue should have been corrected while they had my NOS panels.

Anyway.. enough spewing... the top fender panel is not a NOS panel, the lower one is.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-21-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've stayed out of it...but, I agree, I thought right off the difference in the louver "cups" in the first picture was blatant....to the point I was wondering if they were bonded on somehow after the panel was formed.

They are baby-butt smooth, almost like an SMC piece...
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 65 nos right lower fender

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. I have decided to not use my right side fender, because it is of question and not nos?
Now my quest begins for a correct right side nos panel, anyone that has one please email, or call me 814/931/9101
Thank to all
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by crosskeystv
Thank you everyone for your comments and help. I have decided to not use my right side fender, because it is of question and not nos?
Now my quest begins for a correct right side nos panel, anyone that has one please email, or call me 814/931/9101
Thank to all
Tommy called me today, I'm sorry but my panels are not for sale.

This is the exact reason I keep at least 1 original part that I have. (so when there is a problem we can solve it).

Quick Reply: 65 front fenders are these NOS or repo