C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1963 Center Dash Skin Install - Adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Default 1963 Center Dash Skin Install - Adhesive?

Hi All - I have reviewed available threads regarding dash skin installation. I am hoping for tips as it pertains to adhesives. For other projects I always swear by 3M spray adhesives. Some other posts however, talk about brush-on cements. Since I am soooo totally inexperienced in recovering the center dash frame, I am wanting to ensure I have sufficient time to adjust and reposition the vinyl cover before its sets up too quickly. Any and all advise is extremely welcome!

In advance, THANK YOU!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First of all not ALL 63s had the vinyl - early cars were painted. Make sure about that first.

3M General Trim Adhesive will work but you have to tape off adjacent areas -- a light spray in one direction and then again in a different direction on both contact surfaces should do it...don't spray so much it 'lumps up'. Wilwood contact brush on cement works too - same deal don't go batsh!t crazy applying it but get complete coverage. In both cases let the adhesive 'tack up' and lightly position the most critical area (around the clock perhaps ?), aligning things properly....some repositioning is possible at this point. Then lay down the rest of the vinyl.

Of course, test fit the piece first...

When done I like to go over the vinyl area several times with one of these (a wallpaper seam roller available anywhere) rolling right up to the edges where possible:

Amazon Amazon

Same technique works for the vinyl appliques around the rear split window as well.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2018 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mblake101 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Although it seems fairly straight forward, this is not an easy job. You're dealing with a large sheet of vinyl trying to form a lot of compound curves with glue (contact cement) that is difficult to work with. The vinyl can tear easily as you try to reposition it. The first time I tried it, it was a total failure. i ended up buying new skins and sending it to Al Knoch. I got it done the second time but I was not completely happy with the result. I had a couple small tears and some wrinkles and it came loose in a couple places after a day or two.

There is no glue that I'm aware of that will give you a lot of time to reposition. I would recommend that you lay one strip of contact cement down the center of the dash and then on the center skin. Carefully bring the two pieces together and lay the rest of the skin over the dash dry. This will be your only chance to reposition. Then work your way from the center of the dash outward a little at a time. Whatever you do, don't put glue on the entire skin all at once. You'll have one big mess.

Certainly not trying to discourage you. But, since you said you were inexperienced, know that you have chosen a difficult job to cut your teeth on. Be patient, don't rush, and work a little area at a time. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mblake101 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Great info on working from the inside out....Thx!

Originally Posted by jprop
Although it seems fairly straight forward, this is not an easy job. You're dealing with a large sheet of vinyl trying to form a lot of compound curves with glue (contact cement) that is difficult to work with. The vinyl can tear easily as you try to reposition it. The first time I tried it, it was a total failure. i ended up buying new skins and sending it to Al Knoch. I got it done the second time but I was not completely happy with the result. I had a couple small tears and some wrinkles and it came loose in a couple places after a day or two.

Great info on working from the inside out! Thanks!

There is no glue that I'm aware of that will give you a lot of time to reposition. I would recommend that you lay one strip of contact cement down the center of the dash and then on the center skin. Carefully bring the two pieces together and lay the rest of the skin over the dash dry. This will be your only chance to reposition. Then work your way from the center of the dash outward a little at a time. Whatever you do, don't put glue on the entire skin all at once. You'll have one big mess.

Certainly not trying to discourage you. But, since you said you were inexperienced, know that you have chosen a difficult job to cut your teeth on. Be patient, don't rush, and work a little area at a time. Good luck.

Last edited by mblake101; 03-20-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo error
Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Frankly, I've never had all that much trouble with the spray adhesive or the brush on stuff...I've done headliners, dash pads, rear coupe vinyl, rear hardtop 'sails' in a Chevelle and carpet at times, etc.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 AM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Dash Skin

Frank,

Thank so much for your continued assistance to your fellow 63 folks!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Frankly, I've never had all that much trouble with the spray adhesive or the brush on stuff...I've done headliners, dash pads, rear coupe vinyl, rear hardtop 'sails' in a Chevelle and carpet at times, etc.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mblake101
Frank,

Thank so much for your continued assistance to your fellow 63 folks!
No problem - lots of these tasks seem intimidating until you start doing them -- then you wonder what all the fuss was about

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Center Dash Skin Install - Adhesive?

Quick Reply: [C2] 1963 Center Dash Skin Install - Adhesive?