C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Installing 57 windshield frame on body

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Installing 57 windshield frame on body

What is the proper way to seal the windshield frame to the body ? I have the rubber seal and a tube of windshield sealer . I put Dum Dum around all of the holes but is the proper way to apply the sealer on both sides of the rubber or use weatherstrip cement to hold the rubber in place on the body to keep it from sliding and just use sealer on the top of the rubber ?

Last edited by bj1k; 03-20-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Good Questions, I need to do the same
Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

89 views and nobody ever installed a windshield frame ?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm gonna respond since I just got thru doing my 62 windshield.. Mike Coletta told me, (and he has done a ton of them), just put the windshield dum dum around the holes. I also put a very thin bead of the black CR Laurence windshield sealant also under the rubber seal next to the body, and again between the rubber and the windshield frame. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't put anything on it except at the holes. You will wind up with that stuff everywhere!. It's not like you are gonna be driving the car in driving rainstorms. Heck, they leaked when they were new. Make sure you put some of the 3M dum dum up inside the windshield frame to hold the t studs down. Lean the t studs to the rear so they won't touch the paint at the then set the windshield down at the rear where the studs for the windshield posts go through the channel, and tilt it forward gently, using a hook shaped small pick to pull the t posts forward into their respective holes as you lean it forward. Once the t studs are all through, secure them GENTLY. They don't need to be tight.

Whatever you do, do not use silicone rubber. You will never get the windshield back off without some major prying if you do.

That's what I did and it worked pretty well.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Just finished it . Put Dum Dum around each stud and used weatherstrip cement to seal and stick the rubber to the bottom of the windshield frame and waited until it was totally dry . It held everything in place until bolted down . Also used weatherstrip adhesive on two rubber spacers ( on each side )for the side posts to hold them in place . On the body I put a double bead of non hardening windshield sealer with a caulking tube between each hole with the Dum Dum to seal out any water at the bottom. There is virtually no place for water to get in .
Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Well how much sealer is "good enough"
Thanks folks
Old 03-22-2018, 11:33 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Actually, they "didn't" leak when new.

They leak because someone had the frame off in the past and didn't reseal it right.

3M , or other, soft strip caulk under the rubber gasket tight around all the holes.

If you still ahve the windshield out of the frame, strip caulk around all the T bolts inside the lower channel is double insurance.

Doug
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Actually, they "didn't" leak when new.

They leak because someone had the frame off in the past and didn't reseal it right.

3M , or other, soft strip caulk under the rubber gasket tight around all the holes.

If you still ahve the windshield out of the frame, strip caulk around all the T bolts inside the lower channel is double insurance.

Doug
I did put a non hardening windshield sealer up into the "T" bold holes even though it wouldn't be needed with DumDum around all of the holes on the body and weatherstrip sealer around the holes on the top of the rubber strip .

Get notified of new replies

To Installing 57 windshield frame on body

Quick Reply: [C1] Installing 57 windshield frame on body