C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question about re-stamped engine numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Jv04 Mentioned the hard top on a 69 passing as 68 and how it did , and just by losing a few points

And even if you "know" something is true, you cannot deduct for it unless you can specifically point to it as not typical of factory production.

So here we are (you add FI and 99% of the installation is correct) but the judges see some linkage is not correct and deduct a FEW points,so this Corvette a real FI car or just missing ONE correct part?

If the car, as displayed on the judging field, and with the options and components included on the car, "APPEAR" typical of factory production (as installed), then no deduction is made.

So by their standards it's an original FI Corvette / and then people wonder why there are more FI Corvettes out there then GM ever sold

jvo4====It goes back to one of the first lessons I learned in NCRS - "In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, give the owner the benefit of the doubt."
Seems to me, going by the rule book, that's the way it ought to be. Also going by the book, if the above is true, how can an engine change result in a car being banned from judging because of prior knowledge by "someone"? "Someway"?
The following users liked this post:
VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Seems to me, going by the rule book, that's the way it ought to be. Also going by the book, if the above is true, how can an engine change result in a car being banned from judging because of prior knowledge by "someone"? "Someway"?
Mike there is going to have to be some glaring wrong parts on the car in order to claim its a counterfeit. like having a 67 Smith body BB with a 45* fuel line, and low horse tach but a 427/435 with a bad re-stamp block to raise a eyebrow. same with a FI car. but most counterfeiters are at least smart enough to follow the guide
VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
The process (or game if you wish) is actually very simple to understand...

If the car, as displayed on the judging field, and with the options and components included on the car, "APPEAR" typical of factory production (as installed), then no deduction is made.

In order to make a deduction for an item, the judge must be able to point to some specific issue that does not appear to be typical of factory production.

A judge's prior knowledge of that car is not to be used. I know of one case where a person judged a car, and that the judge himself had assisted the owner in restamping an engine for the car. Now, to be fair, the judge that helped with the restamp did not judge that part of the car.

And even if you "know" something is true, you cannot deduct for it unless you can specifically point to it as not typical of factory production.

An example: At one of the Cypress Gardens meets, I was judging 1968-1969 exteriors. A 1968 L-88 convertible was shown with the hardtop installed. This hardtop was black vinyl covered.

Now, this hardtop had marks in the vinyl where the stainless steel clips that were used on 1969 and later hardtops were removed. The top also had a rear window glass dated 1969.

Clearly this was a 1969 hardtop with the stainless tips removed to make it look like a 1968 hardtop.

We could not deduct for the wrong year hardtop. All we could do was deduct for the rear window date code being incorrect (originality) and the damage to the vinyl where the stainless tips had been removed (condition).

We could not point to any other specific details that were atypical of factory production.

It goes back to one of the first lessons I learned in NCRS - "In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, give the owner the benefit of the doubt."
i understand the APPEAR typical as factory comment as it makes sense. I also appreciate your comment regarding “playing the game”. What really bothers me about “the game” is I’d prefer to have a 50yr old original part on my car, that likely shows it’s age and thus looses points, then some POS after market part made in China that not only APPEARS typical, looks nicer, because it’s new, then my 50yr old original part.

Ed
VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller

i understand the APPEAR typical as factory comment as it makes sense. I also appreciate your comment regarding “playing the game”. What really bothers me about “the game” is I’d prefer to have a 50yr old original part on my car, that likely shows it’s age and thus looses points, then some POS after market part made in China that not only APPEARS typical, looks nicer, because it’s new, then my 50yr old original part.

Ed

old time judges will be more lenient on real original parts with age
VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I may have shared this story before, so if I did, just bear with me.

Many years ago there was a very nice 67 400 hp A/C at Bloomington. The car was beautiful, and of course the engine pad was examined very carefully.

It passed with flying colors.

The engine block casting date code preceded the assembly date by a coupe of weeks, which was a bit unusual, but not unheard of. The assembly date was well in line with the vehicle build date.

All was well and good in the land of 1967 400 hp A/C big block Corvettes at Bloomington.

But then what do you image showed up in the swap meet area. A used 327 short block from a 1967 Corvette. I seem to recall that the engine was a 350hp engine, but that really wasn't the point.

The VIN number on this 1967 327 Corvette short block matched the VIN of the car that was on display as a 400 hp A/C car.

The block casting date of the 327 was a day before the assembly date of the engine, and both dates were well in line with the vehicle build date.

So we have a fully restored, all original 427 / 400hp A/C 4 speed 1967 Corvette coupe on the show field...and

we have a 327 short block in the swap meet area...and

both engines have the very same VIN number on them.

I don't know what happened to the car with regard to judging, but I did hear that the owner of the car quickly bought the 327 short block, and it was moved out of sight immediately afterwards.

I also remember someone getting pictures of both engines before the small block disappeared.

The best conjecture we could put together was that the car was an original small block A/C car; the original engine was removed and went down the road, and was replaced with a 454 engine and driven as a hot rod for some time. Something happened to the rear end, and it was replaced with big block components

The car then was sold for a restoration project. The new owner decided to build a reproduction 427 for this "original big block car". He also decided to make it a 400 hp car while was at it.

I think the owner / restorer actually thought that the car was an original big block car, or maybe that was wishful thinking.

That story went around Bloomington the entire weekend, but very few people actually saw the small block before it was bought and hidden away.
The following 2 users liked this post by emccomas:
Todd H. (03-25-2018), VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
old time judges will be more lenient on real original parts with age
Yep, we are
VetteZr (03-23-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
I may have shared this story before, so if I did, just bear with me.

Many years ago there was a very nice 67 400 hp A/C at Bloomington. The car was beautiful, and of course the engine pad was examined very carefully.

It passed with flying colors.

The engine block casting date code preceded the assembly date by a coupe of weeks, which was a bit unusual, but not unheard of. The assembly date was well in line with the vehicle build date.

All was well and good in the land of 1967 400 hp A/C big block Corvettes at Bloomington.

But then what do you image showed up in the swap meet area. A used 327 short block from a 1967 Corvette. I seem to recall that the engine was a 350hp engine, but that really wasn't the point.

The VIN number on this 1967 327 Corvette short block matched the VIN of the car that was on display as a 400 hp A/C car.

The block casting date of the 327 was a day before the assembly date of the engine, and both dates were well in line with the vehicle build date.

So we have a fully restored, all original 427 / 400hp A/C 4 speed 1967 Corvette coupe on the show field...and

we have a 327 short block in the swap meet area...and

both engines have the very same VIN number on them.

I don't know what happened to the car with regard to judging, but I did hear that the owner of the car quickly bought the 327 short block, and it was moved out of sight immediately afterwards.

I also remember someone getting pictures of both engines before the small block disappeared.

The best conjecture we could put together was that the car was an original small block A/C car; the original engine was removed and went down the road, and was replaced with a 454 engine and driven as a hot rod for some time. Something happened to the rear end, and it was replaced with big block components

The car then was sold for a restoration project. The new owner decided to build a reproduction 427 for this "original big block car". He also decided to make it a 400 hp car while was at it.

I think the owner / restorer actually thought that the car was an original big block car, or maybe that was wishful thinking.

That story went around Bloomington the entire weekend, but very few people actually saw the small block before it was bought and hidden away.
Wow. Busted! The chances of that happening must be 5,000 to 1.
It seems the owner of the car was ok perpetuating the fraud that he may or may not have known about.
But is it really fraud? Yes because the car increased in value with the big block vs the small. But...the owner can still claim matching numbers because you can see they match. Doesn't mean original motor and that may or may not be claimed in the future like at time of sale. What do you think?
This is why many of us here don't care what the number on the block says unless there is full documentation from day of birth. Everything on the car can be faked. I'm skeptical on every restored car I see at a show, more so on the BB cars. I still enjoy seeing them!
I'm sure that 327 won't see the light of day again. The ultimate sham would be to rebuild the 327 with a clean (decked) pad, restamped and put into another Corvette and claimed as original. Double fake!! Kudos to the guy who figured it out.
VetteZr (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 PM
66Vett
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I always wonder why anyone even cares . I have way more fun with my cars being able to do what I want with them . I don't need more to worry about . It can give you stomach ulcers ! Just my opinion . To each his own !
I agree! That is why I dropped out of NCRS. NCRS has a place as an authority on originality, but they take the fun out of having a fun "non-original" car. The judges pass on excellent faked cars but offer nothing to the vast majority of car owners with "errors" in stampings, casting numbers and options.

The Corvette future may be in Resto-mods (See some of the latest auction prices) but the NCRS has turned their back on them. Without some changes the NCRS is on their way out unless they begin to accept non-original cars in another lower judging group. My 66 is very near original but has a Chevy ZZ383 engine. As a result I and my car are "dead" to the NCRS. I have met people at the various car shows that can build me a "number Matching" engine with correct stampings and broche marks and will stand behind their work. These guys make engines that pass NCRS judging every day.
VetteZr (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 66Vett
I agree! That is why I dropped out of NCRS. NCRS has a place as an authority on originality, but they take the fun out of having a fun "non-original" car. The judges pass on excellent faked cars but offer nothing to the vast majority of car owners with "errors" in stampings, casting numbers and options.

The Corvette future may be in Resto-mods (See some of the latest auction prices) but the NCRS has turned their back on them. Without some changes the NCRS is on their way out unless they begin to accept non-original cars in another lower judging group. My 66 is very near original but has a Chevy ZZ383 engine. As a result I and my car are "dead" to the NCRS. I have met people at the various car shows that can build me a "number Matching" engine with correct stampings and broche marks and will stand behind their work. These guys make engines that pass NCRS judging every day.
do you forget what NCRS stands for? but they did add a new class last year for custom cars
VetteZr (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

If NCRS accepts repo vin tags, then they will accept anything. I saw a 62 with a repo vin tag on it that won a top flight NCRS award. How did I know it was a repo. You could see glue around the edges of tag where he glued it on. Also the tag was shiny and show no signs of every being spot welded on the column. So I guess it depends on who the judge is.
VetteZr (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:22 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
So I guess it depends on who the judge is.
Or, more importantly, who the owner is and who he/she knows.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Another long NCRS debate, resolving nothing....

They have their rules and with a few glaring exceptions they make sense...
In spite of that, judges are human and the interpretation of the rules may vary...

Can that interpretation can be slanted based on a judge's interaction (good or bad) or relationship to an owner, consciously or unconsciously ?

C'mon, wake up.

Its really that simple..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-25-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I am replacing the engine in my 61 with a 69 CE block. The block has been decked, so there’s a fresh pad. I doubt that the car will ever be NCRS judged, and I don’t want to mislead anyone. But I do want the engine pad to match the car in case of theft or whatever. My plans are to stamp the pad as follows, any recommendations?

###### (VIN #) CEF0318CU (CE block, Flint, Month and year replaced, Dual quad)
Old 03-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
I am replacing the engine in my 61 with a 69 CE block. The block has been decked, so there’s a fresh pad. I doubt that the car will ever be NCRS judged, and I don’t want to mislead anyone. But I do want the engine pad to match the car in case of theft or whatever. My plans are to stamp the pad as follows, any recommendations?

Leave it blank.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Why leave it blank? Re-stamp it with the original numbers and letters, get it "Top-Flighted" and then sell it for way more money! Isn't that the "norm" today!! Sure hope I'm wrong!!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,328 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Drothgeb

You might be forgetting about what the broach marks look like. If they are not factory-like and you just stamp your own numbers on the blank pad, the pad will scream "fake!!" as opposed to just looking like a rebuilt car with routine decking.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:34 PM
packrat
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
If NCRS accepts repro
tags, then they will accept anything. I saw a 62 with a repo vin tag on it that won a top flight NCRS award. How did I know it was a repo. You could see glue around the edges of tag where he glued it on. Also the tag was shiny and show no signs of every being spot welded on the column. So I guess it depends on who the judge is.
I don't know where you got that idea the NCRS accepts repro vin or trim tags. The NCRS Judging Reference Manual in Section 2 #34: Counterfeit Discovery Penalties states- Any individual, be it owner, owner/restorer, restorer and owner, or restorer, presenting a vehicle for judging that is determined to contain counterfeit identifiers such as Vin plate, trim tag, altered casting numbers, or altered casting dates will be suspended from further participation in judging activities of NCRS and the vehicle will be branded Counterfeit and the Vehicle ID number will be permanently recorded in the award data base.
Again it states if determined. Not all members are as knowledgable as others in spotting these repro tags and sometimes the owners are not aware that these tags have been changed by some previous owner or restorer. It is the Team Leader or Judging Chairmans job to look at the these tags and sign the sheet indicating that they are OK. Note: This does not apply to state issued vin tags with proper paper work,

Last edited by packrat; 03-26-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by packrat

Any individual, be it owner, owner/restorer, restorer and owner, or restorer, presenting a vehicle for judging that is determined to contain counterfeit identifiers such as Vin plate, trim tag, altered casting numbers, or altered casting dates will be suspended from further participation in judging activities of NCRS and the vehicle will be branded Counterfeit and the Vehicle ID number will be permanently
It does seem a little strange that the list of "vehicle Identifiers" doesn't include the VIN stamp and build stamp on the block. Seems a little inconsistent, doesn't it?

Why is that?

Quick Reply: Question about re-stamped engine numbers