C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 56 soft top header weather strip retainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:47 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default 56 soft top header weather strip retainer

installed a new top and now working on adding the weather strip and retainer on the header

i have a 2 piece retainer but it seems i am missing something, when i check at corvette central for the part https://www.corvettecentral.com/c1-5...d%26q%3d631121

i see 2 short pieces are these supposed to go on the ends or in the middle with the long retainer on the outboard ?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

First no one reproduces the correct original design header weather strip for 56 ,which is the same for a 58 Corvette seen here. Those two metal retainers once installed is covered over by a "round" design rubber weatherstrip FILLER as seen here look closely at pic, you can only get the later C1 design weatherstripping .

Original weatherstripping was a soft type rubber and the side windows forward rubber piece was totally cloth covered and connected to the header weatherstripping as seen here making the header weatherstripping a ONE piece part with the round filler being separate as the filler

Hope I added something you dint know because you know more then most people

Last edited by 1955 copper; 04-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

https://www.zip-corvette.com/56-58-c...strip-kit.html

Last edited by 1955 copper; 04-02-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
First no one reproduces the correct original design header weather strip for 56 ,which is the same for a 58 Corvette seen here. Those two metal retainers once installed is covered over by a "round" design rubber weatherstrip FILLER as seen here look closely at pic, you can only get the later C1 design weatherstripping .

Original weatherstripping was a soft type rubber and the side windows forward rubber piece was totally cloth covered and connected to the header weatherstripping as seen here making the header weatherstripping a ONE piece part with the round filler being separate as the filler

Hope I added something you dint know because you know more then most people

Roy i found your picture in the archives yesterday
and since then now know the difference

but i have the replacement weatherstrip and have 2 retainers
with both 5 attachment holes in ea
but the headerbow has 12 total ?

Corvette central shows also 2 short pieces with 2 holes (i dont have)
are these supposed to go on the ends ?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:57 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by corvettesander
Roy i found your picture in the archives yesterday
and since then now know the difference

but i have the replacement weatherstrip and have 2 retainers
with both 5 attachment holes in ea
but the headerbow has 12 total ?

Corvette central shows also 2 short pieces with 2 holes (i donces t have)
are these supposed to go on the ends ?
Original early retainer was ONE piece// I don't know what 2 short pieces are if they show them in a set there probably fillers for the rear lower (frame later ) window gap??? can you show me a pic. I haven't been a NCRS member for many years ,I gave up on them but was #182
Old 04-02-2018, 04:24 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

The 2 short pieces in that CC (2nd)photo are simply photos of the ends of both full length pieces. It's a optical illusion. Notice the right ends are cut off in the photo.

I'd imagine you have 10 T-nuts in the header, and you are using the later header weatherstrip. As Roy stated that's your only choice.

You could use the 12 hole one-piece reinforcement(CC#631121), but you likely don't have one. Note that their photo is also cutoff and doesn't show all 12 holes. Note the 2 close together is the center, count left and the total is six. The six on the right is cut off at the end.

Also, with the 12 hole one-piece, the end screw will not screw into the end T-nuts. You use a sheet metal screw which attaches to the end corner metals.

My '56 top frame on my '59 was originally a one piece weatherstrip and reinforcement. When I restored it 25 yesrs ago I had to use the newer style but kept the original weatherstrip side pieces. Several years ago Roy helped me figure out how to restore my original weatherstrips to simulate the original type so I also covered them with Bowdrill cloth. A few pics at the end of this post.

Now in your situation, as I see it's not easy to get parts, so you may want to consider this option....
You could use your 2 piece reinforcements, mounted outboard at each end. Then fabricate a short reinforcement yourself from sheet stock for the 2 center T-Nuts. Painted black and likely never noticed. Or you could order the one piece and wait.

One last thing, be sure to clean the threads of all Header T-Nuts and test fit screws in each one. I squirt a bit of light oil in each T-nut to prevent galling, Installing these screws is tricky because of the interference of the rubber weatherstrip and getting tools and fingers in there. It takes some time to get that installed and requires patience, which I'v observed you certainly have.

Rich
PS I've been following your '56 thread. Excellent Restoration

Last edited by rich5962; 04-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Original early retainer was ONE piece// I don't know what 2 short pieces are if they show them in a set there probably fillers for the rear lower (frame later ) window gap??? can you show me a pic. I haven't been a NCRS member for many years ,I gave up on them but was #182
well it seems the 2 piece is incorrect and too short
will see what i will do maybe make a one piece myself

i know of your past membership we even met once and talked at the 2009 convention in san jose
Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rich5962
The 2 short pieces in that CC (2nd)photo are simply photos of the ends of both full length pieces. It's a optical illusion. Notice the right ends are cut off in the photo.

I'd imagine you have 10 T-nuts in the header, and you are using the later header weatherstrip. As Roy stated that's your only choice.

You could use the 12 hole one-piece reinforcement(CC#631121), but you likely don't have one. Note that their photo is also cutoff and doesn't show all 12 holes. Note the 2 close together is the center, count left and the total is six. The six on the right is cut off at the end.

Also, with the 12 hole one-piece, the end screw will not screw into the end T-nuts. You use a sheet metal screw which attaches to the end corner metals.

My '56 top frame on my '59 was originally a one piece weatherstrip and reinforcement. When I restored it 25 yesrs ago I had to use the newer style but kept the original weatherstrip side pieces. Several years ago Roy helped me figure out how to restore my original weatherstrips to simulate the original type so I also covered them with Bowdrill cloth. A few pics at the end of this post.

Now in your situation, as I see it's not easy to get parts, so you may want to consider this option....
You could use your 2 piece reinforcements, mounted outboard at each end. Then fabricate a short reinforcement yourself from sheet stock for the 2 center T-Nuts. Painted black and likely never noticed. Or you could order the one piece and wait.

One last thing, be sure to clean the threads of all Header T-Nuts and test fit screws in each one. I squirt a bit of light oil in each T-nut to prevent galling, Installing these screws is tricky because of the interference of the rubber weatherstrip and getting tools and fingers in there. It takes some time to get that installed and requires patience, which I'v observed you certainly have.

Rich
PS I've been following your '56 thread. Excellent Restoration

Thank you Rich
this clears up more and how it should be i and will dig into Bowdrill cloth

also had a lot of guidance on you write up on the powertop
and probably will follow your route on the relay switches to control the solenoids
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Rich! nice pictures and a good look for some people how the later rubber wedge filler is installed , I know they sell a hard one then later a soft one ( soft one should be used) take care Roy

Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

bumpers for later 56 to 57

Early 56"s I'v seen over the years ,one having the early exhaust 1st, design have 55 front bumpers , heater assy and radiator lower one piece support plate

Last edited by 1955 copper; 04-02-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I want you to know I'm not judging your corvette but just helping because I see your really into trying to be original weather you do or don't do the NCRS thing , Your Corvette is so beautiful and correct so fare, like I said I've had it with NCRS but enjoy helping and getting help from other Corvette people on my 55 corvette
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvettesander
Thank you Rich
this clears up more and how it should be i and will dig into Bowdrill cloth

also had a lot of guidance on you write up on the powertop
and probably will follow your route on the relay switches to control the solenoids
Here is a old thread Here which shows what I did to restore the originals. Note that they had integrated studs and retainers molded into the rubber. Later replacement type(like what you have) uses the separate screws and T-nuts with metal retainers. Panama58(Garry) has much experience with these and could help.

Glad my PT write-up was helpful. The relays are a good way to save the small gauge wiring and switches from the high current of the solenoids.

One thing I forgot to mention about those outer sheet metal screws of the header retainer that attach to the corner metals...

Use screws with very shallow heads, I use Oval head screws there or very low profile button head screws. Before you latch the header down put a few layers of masking tape on the windshield posts where the screws land.

Carefully latch the header down and release and check that the screw heads do not hit the posts hard and scratch them. If the heads make a impression on the tape, find shallower head screws to prevent damage to the posts.

Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 04-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:39 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I want you to know I'm not judging your corvette but just helping because I see your really into trying to be original weather you do or don't do the NCRS thing , Your Corvette is so beautiful and correct so fare, like I said I've had it with NCRS but enjoy helping and getting help from other Corvette people on my 55 corvette
I know you give positive feedback and appreciate it thats the way i learn more about the car

just like you point out the early 56 may have 55 bumperettes
and it seems the case on my car i noticed it before mine where straight on the back instead of curved with the body

Old 11-28-2022, 06:50 PM
kim nixon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 56 corvette soft top, header, weather-strip t nut installation

I just received the weather-strip retainer t nuts for my soft top header. Does anyone have experience with installing these t nuts? Is there a t nut retaining feature for holding in position into the header dove tail machined channel?
Old 11-29-2022, 06:22 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Kim, The T-nuts must be installed before the fiber tack strip is installed in the header. If you're asking how to hold the T-nuts in place before the tack strip is installed.... Use screws to hold them in place, then remove the screws when its in.

Rich
PS - next time, better to start your own new thread rather than adding questions to a old one. A moderator will likely close this one.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:18 PM
kim nixon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I looked all over for a new thread button but did not find.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2022, 02:58 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kim nixon
Thanks for the reply! I looked all over for a new thread button but did not find.

Thanks!
When in the top level of the forum page, the button "+ New Thread".

If in Mobile view...."+ Post New Thread"

Get notified of new replies

To 56 soft top header weather strip retainer

Quick Reply: [C1] 56 soft top header weather strip retainer