C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 04:22 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Brake Light

Well I spent 16 hours yesterday driving from NY to Michigan to pick up my C2 and back but is so good to have her in my garage. Today I went through her bumper to bumper again and I have a short list if things that need sorting. One issue is a dead passenger side brake light, the directional works. Pulled the bulb and both filaments look good and both contacts show continuity to the bulb case. I'll have help tomorrow so I can measure for voltage on each pin of the socket. If I have to get to the wiring/plug at the back of the socket do I need to drop the spare tire bucket and or gas tank or is there an easier method this rookie is unaware of?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:35 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If that side's turn signal works, don't pull anything back there. All the wires, the bulbs, the filament in the bulb, and the ground are all the same.
You have a bad contact in the turn signal itself. If any other connection was bad the turn signal wouldn't work either, everything else is the same except for that contact inside the switch. Leave your ignition OFF, step on the brake. If that brake light isn't on, wiggle the turn signal switch and watch for it to start working or flicker. If you see that, you know that the contact is the problem. Sometimes you can flip the turn signals from side to side rapidly several times and clean off the contact, but if it's bent or moved so it isn't touching in the center position of the turn signal lever, the brake light won't work.
Post back what you see with the ignition off and foot on the brake and moving the turn signal lever.

PS, congrats on your purchase. Post up a picture. And please trust me, you don't have a wiring issue if the turn signal works on that side.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Mike (Naples)
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
PS, congrats on your purchase. Post up a picture. And please trust me, you don't have a wiring issue if the turn signal works on that side.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
fla-buckeye
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

This is the exact problem that I addressed this past week. Signal would work, but very slow to engage, left side for me, but no brake lights. I had replaced bulbs, cleaned sockets. Sometimes that would work, but not this last go around.

Replaced wiring/turn switch, and cancelling cam. Looking at the very small/delicate pickups, figured they could be slightly bent to function properly, but the new stuff was on the bench.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I also agree with 65GGvert. One of the two filaments you saw is for the tail light. The other is for both the brake light and turn signal. The equipment that determines whether it illuminates for brakes or turn signal is in/on the steering column.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default Brake Light

Originally Posted by kellsdad
I also agree with 65GGvert. One of the two filaments you saw is for the tail light. The other is for both the brake light and turn signal. The equipment that determines whether it illuminates for brakes or turn signal is in/on the steering column.
Geez there really is no substitution for experience. You guy's are rapidly becoming my BFF's. I will run the diagnostics you have suggested and report back to you all this afternoon. Picture wise, I will need to digest the mechanics of posting those (Born in 1960 and a tad slow on the technology uptake!). Thank you guy's.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

To post pictures in your reply or post, click on the icon shown below, then choose "browse my device", double click on the picture you want, then after it uploads click on the green "insert" in the upper right. It will paste the text needed wherever you have your cursor in the post at the time, then when you click "submit reply" it will convert to the picture. You can also preview post if you like, but not needed.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default Brake Light

To post pictures in your reply or post, click on the icon shown below, then choose "browse my device", double click on the picture you want, then after it uploads click on the green "insert" in the upper right. It will paste the text needed wherever you have your cursor in the post at the time, then when you click "submit reply" it will convert to the picture. You can also preview post if you like, but not needed.

And just like that I'm a tech-ie! The last picture is the aircraft I built during the 90's and flew all over the country. After flying for 29 years I got it out of my system, sold her and used the funds to buy the 66 and fund sorting and or improvements to her. One chapter closes, another one begins. She is in beautiful shape inside and out but that will not figure into the goal of driving the wheels off her. The wife and I plan a lot of trips in her.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

That is a beauty. Perfect color combo. Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

That is a beauty. Perfect color combo. Enjoy the ride.
Have not stopped grinning since I got her home Sunday, the wife is beginning to worry.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Great find!
Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I have always loved the Nassau Blue over Bright Blue C2. Very nice ride. And, I agree with you...drive the wheels off her
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default Brake Light

Ok ran the test as instructed, key off, foot on brake, actuate the turn signal while wife looks for flicker. No sign of a brake light on the passenger side. The passenger side does have a directional and tail light. Drivers side has all (3) functions. So if the problem resides within the directional switch but I have a brake light on the drivers side only, is there not just a jumper wire from drivers side to passengers side?
If you guys believe it to be the directional switch I can begin to pull that apart.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C2Dude
Ok ran the test as instructed, key off, foot on brake, actuate the turn signal while wife looks for flicker. No sign of a brake light on the passenger side. The passenger side does have a directional and tail light. Drivers side has all (3) functions. So if the problem resides within the directional switch but I have a brake light on the drivers side only, is there not just a jumper wire from drivers side to passengers side?
If you guys believe it to be the directional switch I can begin to pull that apart.
They are not jumpered together. If they were both sides would flash with either turn signal. When you signal a right turn, the contact in the turn signal switch interrupts the voltage and replaces it with the flasher voltage. It's the same filament, so if it wasn't interrupted, you couldn't see the turn signal flash. I personally don't think the contacts are labeled correctly in this picture because the park and run lights do not go through the switch, but the picture does show the correct contact position when centered:

EDIT: This picture is definitely labeled wrong, see later picture in this thread from forum member buns.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-04-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default Brake Light

They are not jumpered together. If they were both sides would flash with either turn signal. When you signal a right turn, the contact in the turn signal switch interrupts the voltage and replaces it with the flasher voltage. It's the same filament, so if it wasn't interrupted, you couldn't see the turn signal flash. I personally don't think the contacts are labeled correctly in this picture because the park and run lights do not go through the switch, but the picture does show the correct contact position when centered:

This is what I know:
Confirmed no power either contact of passenger side tail light with break pedal depressed
Confirmed the ground at the socket is good
Up under the steering column there is a wiring harness coming from the column, interfacing with a connector and traveling on to the harness. I used a meter to ring out what each wire is or is not doing. I'll try to post a legend I typed up regarding each wire BUT it would seem that the Yellow wire goes to the left brake light and is hot when I press the pedal. The Green wire, I believe, goes to the right brake light and is dead when I depress the pedal. This confirms in my inadequate mind that you guts are correct, that the problem is in the directional switch. So tomorrow I will try to get the steering wheel off which generates a couple of questions:
1. Does the horn cap just pop off with a little persuasion?
2. Do I need to get a wheel puller?

Can not upload the legend but I can type it out if anyone needs it. Pretty sure the white, yellow and green are the only ones brake related.

Looks like I may be one of those clingy needy members.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I am not trying to discourage your questions, but caring for cars this old requires a lot of DIY maintenance. If you don't already have the shop manual, I suggest you get one. Same for the Owner's Guide and Assembly Manual. The pictures in them will help a lot.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 PM
fla-buckeye
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Horn button does pop off, and yes you will need a wheel puller. Threads in hub are 5/16'x18. Make a notation of the alignment marks on the hub, and shaft.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Light

Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The only wire you need to worry about is the green wire. The voltage comes out on it from the flasher with the signal on and the brake wire with the turn signal in the center. I don't think I could be any more clear, the problem is in the contact in the turn signal, I'm not sure why you measured voltages and grounds at the back when the symptoms could not be caused by anything back there as I and others told you. The contact that touches the brake light switch contact and the green wire contact inside the housing at the same time to make the brake come on is not touching when the turn signal is in the center.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-03-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default Brake Light

I am not trying to discourage your questions, but caring for cars this old requires a lot of DIY maintenance. If you don't already have the shop manual, I suggest you get one. Same for the Owner's Guide and Assembly Manual. The pictures in them will help a lot.
No doubt. I have ordered the Chilton, Shop and Chassis manuals. Just needed to solve this issue so I can get her inspected but there will most certainly be more issues and the books should make me more self sufficient.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you built your own airplane then you'll find these cars are simple to maintain once you get a 'feel' for them. You're new so I'll just say 65GGvert is one of the top electrical guys on here. His advice is rock solid...

Quick Reply: Brake Light