Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brother's 67 Convertible

Old 04-09-2018, 12:22 AM
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I knew I bought an endoscope for a reason.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 AM
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

No way you're going to be able to put that thing away for a year!

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 01:28 AM
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

It's going to be tough Pat. Wanted to go get some new fuel line and a battery today to see if would crank. Of course not having the keys make it a little interesting. Is the door and ignition key the same? Wonder if it is easier to remove a door lock and have a key made vs the ignition?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:51 AM
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elwood13 View Post
It's going to be tough Pat. Wanted to go get some new fuel line and a battery today to see if would crank. Of course not having the keys make it a little interesting. Is the door and ignition key the same? Wonder if it is easier to remove a door lock and have a key made vs the ignition?
Pretty sure they are, but somebody else may want to chime in on that one.

You would be surprised how easy the old ignitions are. If you have a locksmith near you, I would pay them a visit and see what they can do for you.

We have a guy near us and I took the car down while it was on a trailer. He had a big key-ring of GM keys for that era. It was no time at all that one of them was working, and we were able to use the paperclip to turn the key all the way to the left, and then pull out the key tumbler.

It might save you a lot of hassles.

Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 02:31 AM
tuxnharley
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, same key for door and ignition! At least my 67 has been that way since 1971 with original keys.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 AM
Westlotorn
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Great Story, looking forward to your progress.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Easy Rhino
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Early66L72 View Post
when you get to it if you pull the inst cluster there is a decal on the back of the speedo that has a code so when you get there take a pic and we can confirm what package it was for..
Might I recommend instead of pulling the cluster at this stage (with old wiring, I would avoid disturbing it for now and replace it later), but instead getting up under there with a mirror, light, and camera to see the instrument tag. I was able to do it in my '65 and I am old and, uh, larger than I should be.

For my car, it was part of confirming that it was built with a L76 (among other clues). Just get the paper tag two letter code, and get the date stamp, which IIRC is black ink in the same area as the paper tag.

Nice car, BTW, and with a great story.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM
RonR80
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09

Nice find , I'll be following also on the progress. When I bought my 70 , my wife was not too pleased ether , but after 2 winters of working on it , she's still not happy but the car looks good. She does not mind it too much now , I think she is warming up to the car ,
The Following User Says Thank You to RonR80 For This Useful Post:
mattba (07-28-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 AM
morly1963
CF Senior Member

Looks like a 65 Nova tail-lite
Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 AM
mattygaff

Great story - you won't regret getting that baby secured and owned. I'm subscribing and following along. Love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattygaff For This Useful Post:
6T5C2 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 AM
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Easy Rhino, the pics at the top of the page are of my sticker. I used the endoscope to take the picture. I guess I will have to keep scoping for the black sticker.

Morly, he did have a 65 nova. Do you think that bracket at the top of the part picture is a distributor shield?

Last edited by elwood13; 04-09-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 AM
slalomfiend
CF Senior Member

Default local hello

Morning Elwood, I have the same t-shirt in regards to the wife's attitude... but she now LOVES it not that it's done! I just finished my '67 (you can check out my 5 year thread) and did 95% of the work myself. I'm in Carrollton, so if you'd like, I could come up some nice day and show you guys my car. Hopefully, once she sees the finished product, she may get some excitement going. Your frame is WAY better than mine was and your birdcage looks good as well, just need to check where it meets the rocker frames. You have a super sweet car!!

Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
CF Senior Member

tbarb, he told me many many years ago that the guy who sold it to him said it was a big block originally, but I have no clue. I know he said it was not numbers matching. The last pics are some of the stuff found in the leaves. I know that a tail light for his chevy II. Not sure what that flange is.
and that's the original antenna for the car you have there too! Nice
Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Wonder if he bought it from some car dealer who pieced two together? The nose emblem I have is one of these.
That's a 63-64 nose emblem, and you probably have it because the car has a 63-64 top surround or headlight panel on it.

The two countersunk holes here, indicate that this is a 63-64 nose panel. 65-67 nose emblems didn't require the countersunk holes, so the top of the nose panels are smooth. This doesn't necessarily mean the car was "pieced together", but it likely was damaged at some point, and repaired using the wrong parts.

67's didn't have a hood emblem, as seen in the pictures below. 66's had that emblem on the hood, but it was placed much further forward.
A previous owner must have liked the look of that emblem, and added it, possibly when the nose was repaired/replaced.

Other all, it looks like a pretty solid project, and a good find!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:49 AM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Do you think that bracket at the top of the part picture is a distributor shield?
The rusty and silver "J" shaped piece at the top of the first picture, is a spark plug heat shield. They were placed between the spark plugs and exhaust manifolds, on all small blocks. The large round rusty part, with the nylon pin, is the underside of a 64-67 gas door. The first round rubber grommet, looks like a front sway bar grommet. The round aluminum piece with the rubber seal, is a brake caliper piston. To the left of the caliper piston, is a 63-69 gas cap. The two round rubber seals look a little like the seals on the sides of the headlight doors, but I don't think that's what they are. The flat rectangular part looks like it might be a carb butterfly.

I agree that the tail lamp in the second picture is a 65 Nova, specifically a left. The antenna appears to be a correct 67-68 antenna mast, and the wheel center is a 67 rally wheel center cap.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Your extra parts are, one caliper piston, one choke plate, one spark plug shield, (save it) one gas door underside, one gas filler cap. (might be salvagable) I'm not sure of the big rubber bushings. One original antenna, (save it) one original T3 headlight, (keep it) and one original '67 wheel center cap. (save it).
When you get started on removing any part, take a pic of it first, then put it into a bag if necessary or do the work then reinsatall. The CF is at your disposal for any help. Dennis
Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 PM
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all. Slalomfiend, that sounds like a good idea.

gbvette62 and Dennis, do you think the car may have had a front collision that damaged the hood and that is why the 63-64 nose is there along with a small block hood if indeed this was a big block car? Any place in particular I should be looking for the repairs? If it was the low hp 427, do the gauges and instrument sticker match up? The car used to have all 4 center caps. When I go back up in several weeks for the estate auction I will search a storage building for the other three. I didn't have time to go through it.

3 of the 4 headlights are T3.

I found the name of the previous owner he bought it from in April of 78. I haven't found the owner yet, but if an old newspaper is correct and it is the previous owner, they had a baby in March of 79 and that may be why he sold it. I am going to keep trying to find that previous owner.

Thanks again

Last edited by elwood13; 04-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hopefully these pics will show the difference in paint color. The driver front fender is a different shade of green and this different color also is on the nose in places.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:46 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Congrats on saving this old car in your brother's memory, be safe, and keep us updated. This is great stuff! Add me to the clean-it-up-and-drive-it crowd. I did what you're doing on a '61 I bought in 2015. Sitting for 20+ years, not running. It took me less than 2k and 2 months (I think it only took a month!) to get it running and driving. I've been enjoying it for the past 3 years, and later this year, plan on freshening up the engine and trans. Don't pull it all apart: it'll sit another 30 years!!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Early66L72
CF Senior Member

Well, I knew I bought an endoscope for a reason.
So "LC" is a 350 HP 327, so this could be one that used parts from a couple other cars. or the cluster was replaced at some point. all these cars are a mystery that we can unravel,

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brother's 67 Convertible

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: