C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Well today I wanted to make a start to remove my windshield on the 66 coupe. I want to do this job because at the driverside the windshield wasn't fully seated (didn't leak though).
I started by taking off the wiperarms and then putting some masking tape on the windshield. I wanted to see if I could release some trim clips with the trim removal tool, so started at the top right corner and after sliding 5 inches under the trim and not finding a clip I thought well maybe the PO missed a clip. So I continued sliding under the trim with the tool and a bunch of old glue continued to come out but no clips, so I thought "oh no the PO didn't" but after I went further I could say for sure that the PO glued in the trim and didn't use the clips.

Because the glue is old and soft I think I will be able to remove the trim but it won't come easy. The trim is in perfect unbent condition and with some polishing will be absolutely new. So do you guys have any tips on how to remove the bubba adhered trim without destroying the pricy strips of metal.

The handy tool I used.

After trying a bit and realising there where no clips to be found

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-05-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Oh, snap.

That could be painful. I am no help (other than commiseration) but I'll give you a bump while you're waiting for someone who knows how that trim works on these cars.

How is your birdcage?

BTW, where are you located? Wait, I remember, you're in the Netherlands?

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 01-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Twan Sloot (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I suppose that it could be glued..... The clips are "almost" behind the rubber. If the rubber is hard (like in old), you may have to cut some of it out to get to the first one or two clips. I don't like that tool that you have. It is thicker than the old cheap ones. You might grind it a little thinner, and spray everything down with some WD40 so that it slides easily. I have bent one of my tools on the tip, to try and grab the clip a little easier. With the old hard rubber in place, you really have to dig to get to the edge of the clips. Once you release one, then it's a little easier to get the others loose.

Last edited by mike coletta; 01-05-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Twan Sloot (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Could someone PLEASE post a picture of these trim "clips"?
Are they still available, and where?
If NOT, then how does one reattach the trim pieces???
Thanks,
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I ran into this situation a few months back on a '63. I just kinda got one end of the bottom piece up off the windshield a little then slowly pulled it up, but only pulling on the molding as close to where it was still glued in as possible so as not to bend the molding. maybe back cut the weatherstripping as much as you can to cut some of the glue/adhesive. There were still some clips in place, but many were rusted beyond usefullness.
Paragon and Long Island Corvette sell a complete set of clips and screws. Search under "Windshield molding clips"
Twan Sloot (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

PATIENCE is what's needed. Slow movements when dealing with glued trim removal. I suspect many installers faced the dilemma of trying to make a new or old windshield install work with replacement clips they assumed were the same size as originals and a replacement weatherstrip where thickness variations also caused additional problems. Many (probably fighting time and billing), resorted to glue and sent the problem down the road to the next poor guy. I'd say if your trim is not bent so far, you are lucky.

One suggestion I would try is to remove the inner trim now, and cut the old gasket fron the inside, and see if you can get some movement outward of the whole mess without bending the trim. If you can get it off the car that way, then you can use a heat gun to separate the trim. Of course, if there are retaining clips, and they are still intact, they will fight you as they are screwed to the body .

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 01-05-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Twan Sloot (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,043 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would just use a thin blade and cut the rubber gasket around first then work at getting the clips and trim off later you’re going to replace the rubber anyway.
Twan Sloot (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Could someone PLEASE post a picture of these trim "clips"?
Are they still available, and where?
If NOT, then how does one reattach the trim pieces???
Thanks,
Your 63 uses clips unique to 63's, and completely different than those used on the OP's 66. The 63 uses 24 clips for the windshield, and 26 different ones for the rear window.

The 63 clips are available in complete sets from most Corvette vendors, but they're not cheap. The set of front clips sells for about $90, and the rear set is about $140.

These are the 63 front clips.

These are the 63 rear clips.

Garrett, are you going to be at the Sebring SVRA in March? I'll be there with Jim Glass, crewing on a 69 Corvette, that we've been racing for about a year now.

Last edited by gbvette62; 01-05-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

To the original poster (OP), we removed a windshield from a '66 coupe last year and fixed rust and leaks, plus replaced all of the retaining clips for the moldings. I'm certain I got the clips from Eckler's. I also have pictures of the process. If I can be of help to you, email me direct - steve@barrsrestoration.com

Last edited by 2tired; 01-05-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

thanks for all the replies. to answer some questions

-birdcage has no rust and is pretty much zinc green all around.

-I am almost 100% sure there are no clips since I pried the trim up a little so I could look under there and I couldn't see the black clips only the steel of the trim itself. the glue is pretty old and soft.

-I already got the entire clip set in front of this job because I was going te replace them all anyway.

- easy rhino, yes correct the Netherlands

-will look into Pilot dans tip, but I am affraid that will chip te paint around the windshield.

my guess is that the PO or a shop the PO hired ran into a problem with the trim and glued it in. I haven't looked under all the trim only the left top corner and along the A pillar. so maybe there are some clips to be found
reading your comments I guess the only way to remove it is carefulness and some elbow grease. since the glue is old and soft I might be able to fully save the trim. will keep you updated

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.
eyedocs96 (04-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I don't have any hands on experience with the exact problem but if the trim is indeed glued in but the adhesive is still relatively soft, it should react well with a heat gun plied carefully to blow under the edge of the trim (careful though - a heat gun can do some damage if not paying attention) to further soften the adhesive so it can be levered up with a plastic trim tool to where you can finish carefully pulling it off by hand.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 01-06-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IMO Paragon has the best clips, particularly the 63-unique ones. However, for rear split window clips I would strongly consider Keen Parts new versions that accommodate the thicker repro rubber gaskets.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Since it appears you are working on your 66, your clips are totally different than the 63 stuff that was previously posted. 64-7 Coupe windshield trim is no fun to deal with, but you should be able to remove the top 2 corner pieces first and maybe get a better view of what kind of goop or glue was used and if there are any clips in place. The corner clips are unique pieces and really don't grab the trim pieces that tight, so you should be able to get the corners removed. Post a picture once you get a corner off and we can go forward from there.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Okay update.

First of all I know how these windshields go together studied a lot on the forum and yes I know the 63 clips are totally different. I already have a set of 66 correct ones new laying next to the car.

So then for the progress I removed the top corner which came out like it was put in there with chewing gum. But now comes the good part I am finding clips. Definetely not all the clips are used but only little glue is placed on the places where clips are missing as far as I can see now.

Here some pics

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well I am lucky to say the glue is old and brittle only 2 clips along the top strip but I got it out

Old 01-06-2018, 10:20 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I would suggest some additional layers of tape around the glass edge if you plan on retaining the glass. Those trim removal tools can scratch and gouge glass if the edge slips and tip catches by accident.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:29 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yikes, what a mess. I just hope your windshield frame is not rotted out underneath all the goop. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would suggest some additional layers of tape around the glass edge if you plan on retaining the glass. Those trim removal tools can scratch and gouge glass if the edge slips and tip catches by accident.
Yes already did that after fiddling with the tool for a few minutes.
Good to mention though.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

The bottom trim has even more clips guys, I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought at the start. This being my first time to do a windshield

Making good progress now
Easy Rhino (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:07 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Watching this thread as I'm just about ready to remove the windshield from my '63.

I see the tool that is used to find the clips, but just exactly what do you do when you do find the clips?

Does the tool run over/through the clips, thus releasing them from the stainless?

Or do you run up to the clips, and then have to pry the stainless from the clips?

Looking forward to seeing your windshield completely removed.

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 01-06-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't