C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:24 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Please read from this link down in this concurrent thread about a problem similar to yours - it explains the grounding of components, with pictures:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597023525
thanks for that Frankie , all though it’s all Greek to me I am trying.

I see how the radio harness ground works. My radio and clock work fine so thinking that ground many be ok.

I did pull two pugs off the back of wiper switch this am. One single and one double. I checked for pier and two on them have power once I turn the ignition on . I set up an ohm meter on the thir terminal and grounded other end of ohm meter to power brake booster ( maybe not beat ground but cables on multi meter don’t reach much further. ) anyway I get a reading of 3/4.0 on that wire and then when I turn ignition on it goes up to 6/7.0.

Does this mean anything helpful to anyone. Is my switch getting all it needs ?

Also the single connnector seems to be to the washer motor as I can hear that selenoid click when testing for power there with ignition on .

Thanks again to everyone trying to fumble my way through this.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Don't read ohms, ever, with power on the circuit. Voltage, yes, resistance (e.g. ohms), no...
You can do the same test as was done in the video above with the motor in the car. If you can get to the connections...
If that works then you indeed have wiring or switch problems.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:35 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Update

I used an extension wire to ground multi meter to negative on battery instead of brake booster and the readings are
different now i have 6.1 with ignition off and with it on 6.9

whats doea this mean ?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:28 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

At this link you'll find the wire schematic, a couple of videos and even the GM service manual trouble shooting instructions for the wiper motor. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1966&s=wiper

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 04-25-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Update

ok just now getting back into this and thanks again to everyone for all the advice it’s greatly appreciated.

I have been out out of town but I did purchase a new wiper switch and when I got back into this I was able to unplug the two plugs on back of existing wiper switch and to plug in new switch and just let it hang. It works ! The wipers work on both speeds but gave me a shock when I grabbed it. I did them ground the switch while it was hanging with a separate ground strap I made up and it seems to work fine allthough washers are not working. This washer is a mechanical pump ? that’s works when the wipers are moving and essentially pumping the water. Everything looks new but I cant blow through any of the lines except the line back to the reservoir There looks to be fluid filling the reservoir hose all the way up to the pump but nothing moving from there.

What do you guys think about washer prOblem ? . I am also reinstalling the original radio and speaker that we just had restored. The radio looks easy enough but the speaker looks scary any advice on replacing that speaker ?

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system