C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system

new purchase of an older frame off car . have had a few minor items that just needed fixing corroded connections to get them working properly. Actually never even turned on wipers . Didn’t want to turn them on , on a dry hot windshield and since most everything else worked I assumed wipers had to

well drove through a little rain today and nothing. Absolutely nothing .

I am new to older corvettes.

Any advice on how to trouble
ahoot this. Everything looks new even pump bottle has windshield fluid in it and all wires and hoses seem to be hooked up. Can’t help but think or hope it’s yet another electrical connection from a car that hasn’t seen many miles at all In Last few years.

This forum has been terrific.

Where would I start. ?

Thanks !
Old 04-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Wilcox website (a CF sponsor) has troubleshooting guide for C2 Corvette wipers. Go to their website and have a look. Good information.

Larry

EDIT: This is their video, but it also talks about their troubleshooting guide and how to get it.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:48 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

I did see this bench test video but was hoping for some more preliminary trouble shooting info. Went to the Wilcox site and they have c-1 and c-3 trouble shooting but just the bench test of the c-2 motor . Not sure I have to take motor out yet. At this point I don’t even know if it’s getting power . Was looking for more initial things to check.

How is is it grounded , where do I check for power first etc.

thanks

Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Powershift
Race Director

How about this..................I did a search of the entire C2 Section for you on wiper motor troubleshooting. About 50 or so threads.

Should be something there for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=69839883

Larry

Chevrolet Service Manual should also have good info. Section 12 in shop manual.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-15-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:51 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

With key on, check for power at the center terminal on the 3 wire connector (brown wire).
Check that the motor is properly grounded. Ground wire runs from wiper motor to heater blower motor and then to starter motor.
Some tests:

Attached Images    
Old 04-15-2018, 05:07 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok so I made to jumpers and I put power to the center prOng on the three prOne connector and I made another jumper to ground on the outer prong and as soon as I did that the wipers came on and operate fine

so what does this mean. I have power on the center terminal when I turn key on

is there a way to test ground on the other two sides of that theee side plug with test light maybe ?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You may have a bad or disconnected dash switch...
You test ground with power off and an ohmmeter....

Test lights don't always tell the story - they might light with 9V when 12V is required to make a device operate...

50 years working on cars and I never used one; never even owned one...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-15-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:34 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Cleaned all six connections and applied dielectric and turn ignition on am the wipers parked themselves ( they were in middle of windshield from the direct jump test ) but they won’t turn on from switch. Very hard to get to back of switch I can feel the plug but very little room there afraid to in plug it may never get it back on.

Guess I need to take switch out. Any tricks to that ?

Take switch out and jump across the plug ?

I did run an additional external ground to mounting bolts of wiper motor but didn’t effect anything.

Thanks again to everyone
Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by hardhattg
Ok so I made to jumpers and I put power to the center prOng on the three prOne connector and I made another jumper to ground on the outer prong and as soon as I did that the wipers came on and operate fine

so what does this mean. I have power on the center terminal when I turn key on

is there a way to test ground on the other two sides of that theee side plug with test light maybe ?
I'm guessing you have a bad ground. Because if you had both power to the switch and a good ground, they work. So when you try to turn them on with the standard factory wiring you get nothing.

Known good parts: Wiper arms/under dash rods/wsw motor/wsw gears/at least some parts of the switch.

Using a multimeter in "check ohms/resistance" put one probe lead on the ground connector and put the other on any grounded surface - lots of them under the dash. If it reads "infinite" then that proves that the ground is defective. If it reads low resistance, then the ground is good.

If the ground is then good, put the multimeter in Volts (the lowest range you have that reads more than 12 volts) and touch one problem to the hot lead of the wiper switch and the other to a good ground. It should read about 12-13 volts. That means your switch is getting power.

If the switch is getting power and has a good ground but your wipers won't come on then it's your switch. But I don't think it is.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

I do have a multi meter. Not that familiar with it or any electrical trouble shooting for that matter but learning quickly thanks to the generous and patient people of this forum.

When tou say use multi meter to ground plug under dash. Where exactly is that ? Right at back of switch ? I can’t seem to get near that too easy.

Dont know if this piece of info helps but when I press washer button I m switch I can hear selenoid clicking ? Does that mean switch is getting power ?

I am lost when it comes to properly checking the wiper motor for ground. When I had it running I ran a hot lead to center of the three prong connector and then ran a ground lead to the outside terminal and the wipers ran fine.

Did i by pass all other grounds by doing that.

I can see ground wire down to starter looks new and tight and clean. .

There are three plugs on wiper motor , the three prOng then a two prong and then a one prong are any of them grounds I should be checking ?

Thanks again

with regard to the switch. When I take set screw off and **** off what happens when I turn that nut with the two recesses the switch goes back behind dash. I just don’t see anyroom behind dash to get at this dam switch.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

IIRC that nut should loosen the switch....I just had the fuel gauge out of my 63 and it helped to take the 5 screws out of the cluster face and gently goose it towards the driver's seat....that gave enough room to just barely work behind it. It may also be possible with that nut removed you can work the switch (still plugged in) below the dash to work with it...

But here is the odd thing, if the wipers parked with the switch after you cleaned things up then you had power to the center connector on the motor and ground to the yellow wire (see diagram above). Apparently you need the switch to ground the blue wire connection on the motor for both LO and HI speeds (again per the diagram above).

That seems to be what you're missing...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-15-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
IIRC that nut should loosen the switch....I just had the fuel gauge out of my 63 and it helped to take the 5 screws out of the cluster face and gently goose it towards the driver's seat....that gave enough room to just barely work behind it. It may also be possible with that nut removed you can work the switch (still plugged in) below the dash to work with it...

But here is the odd thing, if the wipers parked with the switch after you cleaned things up then you had power to the center connector on the motor and ground to the yellow wire (see diagram above). Apparently you need the switch to ground the blue wire connection on the motor for both LO and HI speeds (again per the diagram above).

That seems to be what you're missing...

so if the ground on the switch was good enough for the yellow wire , then the grounds are probably ok and more likely the switch is defective ? . heading out of town on business for a few days thinking i may go ahead and order a switch and dig into dash as soon as i get back . hate to do that , dash is perfect condition with everything ( except wipers ) working perfectly and looking as new .
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

so if the ground on the switch was good enough for the yellow wire , then the grounds are probably ok and more likely the switch is defective ? . heading out of town on business for a few days thinking i may go ahead and order a switch and dig into dash as soon as i get back . hate to do that , dash is perfect condition with everything ( except wipers ) working perfectly and looking as new .
The switch is certainly a possibility but don't go buying parts on my say-so alone without investigating more fully...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Electrical parts typically cannot be returned. It would suck to go through the expense and effort to replace the switch only to discover that the problem was elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Remove switch and test it..........or test it in place if you can. With some difficulty, I believe originals can be rebuilt. NOS or repos available if you search, but I would try to retain original or GM NOS.

Larry
Old 04-18-2018, 05:04 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buns
With key on, check for power at the center terminal on the 3 wire connector (brown wire).
Check that the motor is properly grounded. Ground wire runs from wiper motor to heater blower motor and then to starter motor.
Some tests:

just getting back into this , watched some u tube videos on how to measure resistance but still confused .

should i be checking wiper motor ground between negative battery terminal to wiper motor ground ?

then can i check the two outside wires on the three prong connector to see if there is resistance on those two connectors before taking dash apart to get to switch ? how would i do that ? one end of meter on the leg i am testing on the three prong and the other to engine block or battery ground , turn switch on and see if resistance changes at those legs ?

then go into switch , did someone say the switch is grounded to the back of radio mount because this car does have a retro radio in it that we are replacing with original which is being refurbished but maybe that ground is not grounding the switch the way it should .

desperate not to take dash apart until i know i have to .
Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You can check for ground from the negative battery terminal to anywhere else there should be a ground and the resistance should be low. On a 200 ohm scale on a meter 3-4 ohms or thereabouts...

Get notified of new replies

To Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system

Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 AM
redstar
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I did see this bench test video but was hoping for some more preliminary trouble shooting info. Went to the Wilcox site and they have c-1 and c-3 trouble shooting but just the bench test of the c-2 motor . Not sure I have to take motor out yet. At this point I don’t even know if it’s getting power . Was looking for more initial things to check.

How is is it grounded , where do I check for power first etc.

thanks

I have an extra switch. Has not been used and I can mail it to you. I don't need it and its yours if you need it.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:57 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redstar
I have an extra switch. Has not been used and I can mail it to you. I don't need it and its yours if you need it.

thank you very much but I already did order a switch should be getting it today. Not positive that’s what I need but seems likely.

I habe been able to test ground to copper strap on wiper motor and I get the same sort of reading I get when going between negative on battery to engine block so I assume that means wiper motor is properly grounded . When putting ohm meter to the outside prong on the three prong connector I get no reading at all regardless of what position wiper switch is in.
Guessing that means switch is not sending anything to wiper motor. But that can still be because switch isn’t grounded properly or switch is bad. Time to take dash apart.

Somone had mentioned that wiper switch is grounded to mount on back of radio. Can anyone confirm that. ? I am putting original radio back in anyway so that part of car needs to be taken apart already and may as well start there if accurate

Thank you for your offer though much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Please read from this link down in this concurrent thread about a problem similar to yours - it explains the grounding of components, with pictures:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597023525

Quick Reply: Help trouble shooting 1965 wiper washer system