C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sleeping Beauty - bringing my '64 back to life

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I have a Harbor Freight Engine hoist also. I have not modified mine yet but I remember a discussion on this forum that advised adding 14" of length to the Legs and boom to allow a straight up lift of the body. Maybe it worked with just the boom being extended.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Yes, I do. Just a Harbor Freight hydraulic engine hoist but should work fine. Only issue is after building the body dolly I read here the casters needed to be bigger so the hoist can go under the dolly. We can improvise I suppose.
I placed 2x12 under my body dolly casters to clear the HF hoist and then rolled it off easily to a 1 by and then down.

Great post. Enjoy the journey.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Hermn59
I placed 2x12 under my body dolly casters to clear the HF hoist and then rolled it off easily to a 1 by and then down.

Great post. Enjoy the journey.
The hoist has extending legs IIRC, been a while since we used it so I'll have to check.

I had already bought 4" caster wheels and installed them, then read I should have gone bigger. Oh well. Your idea is pretty much what I was figuring on trying, good to know it works OK.

It's an education, but I'm having fun for sure.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

And we're back! It was my intent to keep this thread going through the whole project. The body lift-off was so involved that it spawned 2 threads specific to that, in case anyone wants to go there:

Preparing for the body lift: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

Report on actually doing it, with pics: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-pics.html

So the biggest news today is Saturday I stimulated the economy by buying an air compressor to run my blast cabinet and whatever else. The electrician comes Friday to wire it up:

Yesterday I removed the driveshaft and moved the rear half of the chassis to where I can work on it easier. I had spent 2 days cleaning, spraying and doing everything possible to read the numbers on the rear with only partial luck. So I jacked it up and spun the tires and found it has 3:36's. When I turned one tire the other one went in the same direction - that indicates posi, correct?

I went over the back half and sprayed PB Blaster on every nut and bolt I could find. A few of them I busted loose but left them on until I can spend more time.

QUESTION - I have never messed with the leaf spring. I understand in some cases they are under a lot of force and care (and clamps) must be used to avoid possible injury. In my case, the body is off the car, and I can even put the rear half up on jack stands. Does this sufficiently unload the spring enough that I can just remove bolts and take the spring off, or do I still need to take extra steps for safety? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

QUESTION - I have never messed with the leaf spring. I understand in some cases they are under a lot of force and care (and clamps) must be used to avoid possible injury. In my case, the body is off the car, and I can even put the rear half up on jack stands. Does this sufficiently unload the spring enough that I can just remove bolts and take the spring off, or do I still need to take extra steps for safety? Thanks!

You are right to be concerned, and even though the weight of the body is removed, the spring remains under tension, as it is limited from release by the links to the trailing arms. So yes, treat it as loaded. For reference, find a picture of an unloaded spring and you'll get an idea about just how much.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Rattenni
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, even on jack stands there is sufficient loading on the rear spring (on each side) to warrant careful disassembly. I have been reconditioning my trailing arms and just went through this step. You need to find a way to stop the floor jack from wanting to move on you as you raise the leaf spring before unbolting it. After researching, I found the best way was to use a C-clamp positioned above the jack contact point. Tucked against and adjacent leaf step. To protect finish, for me I used some hard plastic left over builders shims under the C-clamp. For the jack, I have a hockey puck on top that conforms to the surface a little and also protects the car. Lastly, watch as you lift, with out the body you may start lifting the rear before seeing spring movement....may need a couple of good ole boys to squat on it for you!

Last edited by Rattenni; 06-14-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: More details
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Thanks, guys, and you are correct there IS still a fair amount of force bottled up there.

With the body off, I decided to take a different approach and work from above to secure the spring. I tightened up enough to pull the spring just a bit, then took the nut off. From there it was a simple matter to walk the spring down with the comealong, a couple clicks at a time.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Well, a great couple of days out there - I'm exhausted but happy!

Yesterday the electrician came and wired up the compressor. I don't have it piped up yet but it runs and compresses air. He also put in a whole new box for the shop, and corrected a few things Bubba had done before I had the place. For example - there was a 240v line running to the little room where the compressor is. It had dual 50 amp breakers - and was feeding a 14 gauge cable!

Today was kick butt day! I started out removing the leaf spring, then went after the u-joints for the half shafts. Got one off but one did not want to let go. So I soaked it with PB Blaster and decided while that worked, I'd look at the front half of the chassis to see what I was going to be dealing with when the day comes to move it off the lawn.

One thing led to another, and by the time I was done I had moved it down to the garage, pulled the motor and transmission out and a bunch of other small stuff. Never did go back to the rear half but getting the engine out and onto the motor stand was a major step! It took about an hour to pick up and put away all the tools and parts but it was worth it!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I think Pat is sharing that crew of helpers he has hiding off camera. Good job and keep posting the progress.
The following 2 users liked this post by elwood13:
jimgessner (06-16-2018), ptjsk (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 PM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

That would be a good picture to sent to the young couple you purchased the car from, just to confirm your your thoughts on the frame issue.
In a friendly way of course, as you stated the were aware of the frame issue, but probably not to that extent.
Tom
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sixtysixtom
That would be a good picture to sent to the young couple you purchased the car from, just to confirm your your thoughts on the frame issue.
In a friendly way of course, as you stated the were aware of the frame issue, but probably not to that extent.
Tom
Yes, I'm staying in touch with them, and did send them a pic. As you say, just so they don't feel they gave it away.

Someone had asked in the other thread where the car spent its life, to get that much salt. It was sold new from Buffalo NY to the original owner in Erie PA - which is very much a winter state. The second owner bought it a year later, and at some point after that it went to Iowa which also can get cold and icy. The funny thing is - although I have not really gone over the front closely, the front half of the car seems quite solid and reasonably clean. But from the seats back, wow!
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

You have the right attitude, put your head down and plow ahead...at some point you will no longer think that light in the tunnel is a train coming at you, but the exit point!

Sorry, I have forgotten, what is the plan for a frame?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by firstgear

Sorry, I have forgotten, what is the plan for a frame?
After getting good look at the rear half of this one, I'm not going to try to save it. Yes, it's original but it's just too far gone.

So I'm still open. First option would be a decent roller, disc brake car. Also could go with the Corvettes Of Michigan new frame, change over what is decent from this one, and probably convert to disc brakes in the process. Or a decent used frame. Will take my time (and re-charge the budget ) and see what comes along. There will be plenty of small stuff to keep me busy.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

After getting good look at the rear half of this one, I'm not going to try to save it. Yes, it's original but it's just too far gone.

So I'm still open. First option would be a decent roller, disc brake car. Also could go with the Corvettes Of Michigan new frame, change over what is decent from this one, and probably convert to disc brakes in the process. Or a decent used frame. Will take my time (and re-charge the budget ) and see what comes along. There will be plenty of small stuff to keep me busy.
You might be able to score a decent frame from someone building a restomod that is using SRIII or other.....

Last edited by firstgear; 06-16-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:13 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for the info on the car's history Don....explains a lot. They must use as much salt as they do up here. You might want to locate the serial number on the frame and cut it out to keep with the car as proof of authenticity in the future.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You might want to locate the serial number on the frame and cut it out to keep with the car as proof of authenticity in the future.
Even THAT is practically gone, or maybe it was lightly stamped to start with. The "S" is visible, and one or two other digits if you know what you are looking for, but overall it's pretty well gone.

That was another factor in my decision to go with a different frame. I know they can do amazing things with repair pieces, but if you can't even prove that it IS the original what would be the point?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:45 AM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, I'm staying in touch with them, and did send them a pic. As you say, just so they don't feel they gave it away.

Someone had asked in the other thread where the car spent its life, to get that much salt. It was sold new from Buffalo NY to the original owner in Erie PA - which is very much a winter state. The second owner bought it a year later, and at some point after that it went to Iowa which also can get cold and icy. The funny thing is - although I have not really gone over the front closely, the front half of the car seems quite solid and reasonably clean. But from the seats back, wow!
My car came from Elmira. My frame was bad from doors back also, strangely the bird cage is fine.
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Sleeping Beauty - bringing my '64 back to life

Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

UPDATE (Cliff notes - progress - lots of small stuff, nothing major)

A couple guys have been asking me how the '64 is coming. I have tossed updates in various other threads but I see it's been almost 5 months since I added to what was supposed to be an ongoing saga on mine.

First, on the history. Limited success, but not much hope for much more info. Car was sold new in Williamsville NY (Buffalo) by Glen Campbell Chevy. Delivered new to a Lindsay H. Jeter of Erie PA. Did some digging and found someone by that name showing in Florida with no date of death but would be 105 years old now.

Sold only 1 year later. The next buyer was a woman but reportedly it was for her boyfriend/future husband. They married, they divorced, no kids, he kept the car. He passed away 2 years ago, his niece handled the estate and I bought from her. In response to my recent inquiry, I'm told the uncle's ex died long ago so SHE won't be any help with details. In particular I wanted to ask whether it was the original owner or the uncle who had the hood bulge painted black.

As for the car itself, I have been bead-blasting and painting everything I can take off of it. Got a shelf unit getting fairly full of bumper braces, assorted brackets etc. Rebuilt the starter. Debating whether to send out the water pump or do it myself. Lots of busy-work.

Have not got into the engine yet, but getting close. I have an old hot-rod friend who will be helping me and he is still finishing up a long-term house project.

Got a line on a chassis from a future resto-mod. Waiting on his body shop to get around to it so who knows whether it will be next week, or in 2021! :lol

Body guy has given me a ballpark estimate but I'll need the rest of the puzzle to come together first. He wants the body on the new chassis so he can adjust the gaps, doors etc.

Have not ordered any new wiring harnesses but that's coming, will be replacing everything. Leaning toward Lectric Limited.

Still very happy with the purchase and having fun working on stuff - keeps me out of trouble!

And since everybody likes pics, here's one. The other day I flipped the back half of the old chassis upside down so I could get the 2 long bolts off with the spare tire lid. I just took an acetylene torch, heated the crossmember orange hot, and the bolts came out easy as can be. And while I had it tipped over I took this pic of the frame rot, and even the trailing arm has issues. That car certainly has seen more winters than it will from here on!

The following 2 users liked this post by Railroadman:
Hermn59 (11-12-2018), ptjsk (11-12-2018)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 PM
mccarley
Corvette Freak
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 180 Posts

Keep going. In the end it will all be worth it. My 65 frame was bent from a past crash and gave me nightmares for a while but it all came around. EVERYTHING CAN BE FIXED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
Sam
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mccarley
Keep going. In the end it will all be worth it. My 65 frame was bent from a past crash and gave me nightmares for a while but it all came around. EVERYTHING CAN BE FIXED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
Sam
Thanks Sam! A now-departed friend used to say "Anything is possible, given enough time and enough money!"

I bought this for the fun of doing something difficult, not just turning the key. No, insanity does not run in the family, I'm the first one! But I'm really enjoying the journey and I'm learning a ton about the car. Lately, I'be been learning a lot about all those parts that make the headlights go up and down, and how totally bleeped up they can get over a long period of time!

Quick Reply: Sleeping Beauty - bringing my '64 back to life