C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear window Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window Run

I also took delivery of a 2-piece kit of material for lining the rear channels.
A couple of questions.....'
1) Would 3M weatherstrip glue be suitable for attachment of material to channel?
2) The 2.5" width seems "generous", can this stuff be trimmed without fraying the edges?
Suggestions welcome, Bill.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes, you can trim it...but you need to get that thick stuff deep into the corners of the channel....some push some wood stock in there and others run down the corners with a 1/4" socket extension while the glue is setting; 3M Trim Adhesive is what I use. Personally, if you bought that felt from a vendor, I wouldn't use it; go to JoAnne Fabrics and get some thinner stuff - you'll thank yourself later...

IMPORTANT: You need to leave about 1" of the felt project above the metal channel; then make two slits vertically down where the corners of the channel are and glue the three extended pieces down each side of the OUTSIDE of the metal channel....this keeps the window from catching an edge of the felt and 'balling' it up at some point and binding things.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2018 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Bacci
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yes, you can trim it...but you need to get that thick stuff deep into the corners of the channel....some push some wood stock in there and others run down the corners with a 1/4" socket extension while the glue is setting; 3M Trim Adhesive is what I use. Personally, if you bought that felt from a vendor, I wouldn't use it; go to JoAnne Fabrics and get some thinner stuff - you'll thank yourself later...

IMPORTANT: You need to leave about 1" of the felt project above the metal channel; then make two slits vertically down where the corners of the channel are and glue the three extended pieces down each side of the OUTSIDE of the metal channel....this keeps the window from catching an edge of the felt and 'balling' it up at some point and binding things.
My wife found a wide piece of Velcro material. Pretty tough stuff. I used the Velcro and yes I extended it over the ends.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Bacci
My wife found a wide piece of Velcro material. Pretty tough stuff. I used the Velcro and yes I extended it over the ends.
Yup, that should do it!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Bilmcna
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Thanks Frank for the helpful instructions.
Can't say I notice any difference in thickness of the new material, to a scrap of the original that was glued to the outside top of the channel.
Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear window Run

Quick Reply: Rear window Run