C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric fuel pump....Show me

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electric fuel pump....Show me

Anyone converted to an electric pump?

I have a 66 427 and think I'd like to change to one.

What pump and where have you placed it?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The mechanical pump is not a problem and works just fine. Why fix what’s not broken
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The mechanical pump is not a problem and works just fine. Why fix what’s not broken
The mechanical pump should work just fine....No advantage to the electrical, unless you are converting to EFI and need the higher pressure.

Plasticman
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree, it’s a solution for a non problem.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

OK, I gotcha. Had been told by numerous people that an electric pump would help cure my issue

My car dies due to vapour lock from parked hot or in traffic about 50 meters up the road.

Wanted the get this shitty modern fuel away from the heat. Both the chassis fuel line and the mechanical pump are heat soaked.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

what temperature thermostat do you have?
do you have the stock fan set up using a thermal clutch for the fan?
do you have an insulator gasket between the carb and intake?
did the car have a fuel return line and it has been disconnected?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Are you using factory steel line from pump to carb? Is it routed in a way that doesn’t touch anything? Is your timing set correctly.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

The car isn't running hot, infact it's quite cool.

I have a carb spacer and shield but the issue isn't in the carb or it wouldn't start.

I have an aeroquip style hose from pump to carb fuel rail (which is heat wrapped)

The pipe on the chassis near to the exhaust manifold gets hot, it's stainless steel.

Because the car runs for a minute or so up the road before it stops it seems to me that the fuel lock is in that pipe. I thought that an electric pump up back might help push the fuel through this area (probably wrongly)

Trouble is here in the UK we wait 6 months to get dry weather so frustration is high
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know the BB fuel pump is a little different than the SB, but when my SB's fuel pump started to stop working properly (pin for pump lever arm fell out) the pump would work fine when cold, but when the car warmed up, it didn't. The ailing pump wouldn't pump at a high enough pressure, so it allowed the fuel line to vapor lock when running and standing still. Sometimes I could get going from a stop and it would stumble, but keep going; other times it would die and couldn't get started again until it cooled down.

Have you tested your fuel pump?

Last edited by Rustman; 04-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vipergtrs (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rustman
I know the BB fuel pump is a little different than the SB, but when my SB's fuel pump started to stop working properly (pin for pump lever arm fell out) the pump would work fine when cold, but when the car warmed up, it didn't. The ailing pump wouldn't pump at a high enough pressure, so it allowed the fuel line to vapor lock when running and standing still. Sometimes I could get going from a stop and it would stumble, but keep going; other times it would die and couldn't get started again until it cooled down.

Have you tested your fuel pump?
That sounds just like mine

I think I'll replace it as a matter or course
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

how about doing a fuel pressure test?
if this is a Holley carb equipped engine have you opened the primary and secondary bowl site plugs to see if there is gas in the carburetor when the engine stalls?
have you confirmed that when it dies you actually have spark to the plugs?

Last edited by MelWff; 04-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Fuel

Sounds like the problem occurs within a few miles of your home at the beginning of a trip. Could it be that either your fuel filter or the sock filter in the tank are clogged? Jerry
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
how about doing a fuel pressure test?
if this is a Holley carb equipped engine have you opened the primary and secondary bowl site plugs to see if there is gas in the carburetor when the engine stalls?
have you confirmed that when it dies you actually have spark to the plugs?
I haven't because it just feels like fuel and vapour lock is very common. It certainly needs looking at first
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Sounds like the problem occurs within a few miles of your home at the beginning of a trip. Could it be that either your fuel filter or the sock filter in the tank are clogged? Jerry
No never happens leaving from home with a cool car. Only when hot
Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry

Doug
Old 04-22-2018, 09:45 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default electric fuel pump

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
OK, I gotcha. Had been told by numerous people that an electric pump would help cure my issue

My car dies due to vapour lock from parked hot or in traffic about 50 meters up the road.

Wanted the get this shitty modern fuel away from the heat. Both the chassis fuel line and the mechanical pump are heat soaked.
........ i have an aeromotive
elec fuel pump, and filters on my car. i have the pump mounted to the frame rail close to the tank. i have a regulator on the firewall. no vapor lock or hot start issues. a manual may be fine as others will suggest. but if you go electric get the best...aeromotive. also not as noisy as some of the others.
phil
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Vapor lock is indeed a problem....and a weird one. My dual quad 61 never had an issue with it. My 63 250hp car does on steamy days. I put a rebuilt carb on it two days ago so we'll see how things go this summer.

If I still have problems I will install a 'booster' electric pump setup for hot days; already have the components and all the plumbing to mount it at the fuel tank and activate it by a switch. There is some thought to having an oil pressure cutout for the pump so it shuts off in a crash. My thought was, if it solves my problem, then go that extra complication.

With this setup you leave the mechanical pump in place and use it most of the time. Electric pump selection is very sensitive with the old carbs (Carter, Holley, etc.) - finding one that won't over-pressure the carb is critical.. For best results the pump must be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible.

I can hide this rig up above the spare tire tub and keep the stock engine bay appearance, hiding the ON/OFF switch in the cockpit might be a trick though.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-23-2018 at 08:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
GUSTO14 (04-23-2018), Vipergtrs (05-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fuel pump....Show me

Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

BTW - if anybody has a slick way of running 12V to the rear of a midyear coupe I'm all ears
Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
This can be and is a problem for some of us and this is one way to address it. I installed an electric fuel pump on my '73 convertible in this manner years ago.

Because I only drove the car a few times a month, I found myself having to crank it excessively to refill the fuel bowl before it would light off. With the added electric pump, I can hit the switch for a few seconds and the engine will start without draining the battery if I haven't driven it in a while.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
Vipergtrs (05-01-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Chummy85623
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm curious. Why the need for the extra plumbing ? Why not just install the pump directly inline ? I'm putting an electric fuel pump on my C1 car. Mounting on the frame rail. I'm removing the mechanical pump and using a block off plate. I like the idea of no lever rubbing on the cam and having a switch to help deter any attempts at theft.

I'd also be interested in ideas for a power source.

Quick Reply: Electric fuel pump....Show me