C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Direct Lube Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Default Direct Lube Lifters?

Call me uninformed and behind the times, but I don't think I had ever heard of these (direct lube lifters).

The question is this:

I'm going to run with a solid old-style lifter cam (most likely an LT1) in my 327, and while pre-shopping came across direct lube lifters. Apparently these have a tiny hole drilled through the face that provides a pressurized oil supply to the lifter/cam interface.

Seems like if done right, this would provide better lubrication assurance than splash lubrication for the lifter/cam interface.

School me, please.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You might be right......................but

There are probably 50 million older cars on the road with conventional lifters and many millions before that that have run reliability with the current hydraulic/solid lifter and cam design. I am in this category with having owned over a dozen such cars and not had issues.

If it ain't broke.............

I would like to see the company testing results compared to the "standard design" and see how they are better.

FWIW.........maybe nothing.

Larry

EDIT: It appears that Howards Cams is the source of these, correct. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91118 The hydraulic lifters use a slight flat in the lifter barrel to accomplish the same lifter/cam lubrication. I would still like to see test results comparison. I guess if I was having repeated trouble with my cam and lifters failing and did not want to run rollers, I might be tempted to try. But for many of us with stock valve trains and factory cams that run well, why change??

Now I do like the "anti-pump-up" lifters for cars with hydraulic cams that run at elevated RPMs. I used these back in the day and they did help some.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

The LT-1 used 'edge orifice lifters'
One of the features of edge orifice lifters is that they flow LESS oil to the push rod. The concern in the LT-1 was that too much oil would be on the top of the motor at high RPM, letting the pan starve.

EDIT: The LT-1 also had a high volume oil pump..

Last edited by SDVette; 04-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Actually direct lube of the lifters I have done to my Small Block engine that turns 8200rpms, and that is drilling to the block to spray at the lifter foot to cam lobe face direct. But then some of the lifter manufacturers now call some of their hydraulic units by this name (direct lube) and I think they are drilling a hole in the foot.

I think one of the Smokey Yunick articles covers the old block race modification method. I have seen some articles on the new way of doing it all with the lifter, but haven't read!

What is happening is a constant pressured spray to the cam and lifter, that is just not reliant on splash.

The solids have two holes in two differing locations! The normal volume units have the hole in the void of the body, and the edge orifice ones in the side to limit oil to the upper for when you run like roller rockers. I still at higher rpm capable engines like the rocker dripper valve covers to drip oil down for the sake of the valve springs and retainers, and not just what gets sent up the push rod. For a while I had some real special hole drilled valve springs retainers (Scalloped ICD style Manley units) that allowed oil to drip thru to the springs direct, but those were experiencing deformation and heading toward failure (lucky they were titanium). PS I don't like titanium either, but it is cheaper. I run Inconel Exhaust valves now, and get by with the necked down stainless ones on the intake (cooler side).

Not many turn their street engines to 8200 rpms. Until you turn lets say 6800, I won't worry about any of this fancy stuff.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-19-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,274 Likes on 815 Posts

GM had a lifter with an oiling slot on the side of the lifter. I think they were standard on the 2.8L GM V6, early 90's I think. I knew some racers that used them to replace the 817 lifter. I have never seen the direct drill or oiling hole in a lifter but I have been mostly out of that business for 10 years now.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:49 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I just wonder because of cheap Chinese steel, if these came into being based on failures!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:50 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
GM had a lifter with an oiling slot on the side of the lifter. I think they were standard on the 2.8L GM V6, early 90's I think. I knew some racers that used them to replace the 817 lifter. I have never seen the direct drill or oiling hole in a lifter but I have been mostly out of that business for 10 years now.
I have an article or two on taking your edge orifice (585s) and slotting them to go back to full oiling!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-19-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

You all make great points, thanks.

While I recognize that avoiding junk parts is the first priority, given the problem with ZDDP in oil problems, I’ll probably try to find some good direct lube lifters.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Call me uninformed and behind the times, but I don't think I had ever heard of these (direct lube lifters).

The question is this:

I'm going to run with a solid old-style lifter cam (most likely an LT1) in my 327, and while pre-shopping came across direct lube lifters. Apparently these have a tiny hole drilled through the face that provides a pressurized oil supply to the lifter/cam interface.

Seems like if done right, this would provide better lubrication assurance than splash lubrication for the lifter/cam interface.

School me, please.

easy rhino,let me explain how and why i use these lifter.

i was a heavy class drag racer for alot of years. belonging too NHRA and NMCA. finishing in the top ten in points in the country. i worked at one of the biggest engine builders of the FASTEST STREET CARS in the country. the class we ran required the use of stock appearing parts in the beginning, and eventually we were allowed too use a little more exotic stuff, performance lifters, springs and rockers..any way, we started using the "EDM" lifters as we called them because of the big spring pressures we had too run too make the power. the EDM hole allowed a film of oil too be pressurized against the cam lobe too keep the metal too metal contact down.which allowed bigger psi springs. we then started installing them in our solid lifter motors for street use with great results. no premature failures of cam lobes any more. i have personally used these in all my restorations of factory HP motors. including my crossram 302 8500 rpm 69 Z28, my l78 65 corvette, and several other 302 chevys i have built over the years along with several big horse 327, 350, 396, 427 motors. and none of them had one lifter or cam lobe failure!
so the old saying of "if it aint broke dont fix it" is way off with this. this is a definite PLUS in my book for durability and piece of mind. this of course is my humble opinion...troy
The following 4 users liked this post by 20round:
dmaxx3500 (04-21-2018), Easy Rhino (07-15-2018), Powershift (04-19-2018), vettsplit 63 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round

i was a heavy class drag racer for alot of years. belonging too NHRA and NMCA. finishing in the top ten in points in the country. i worked at one of the biggest engine builders of the FASTEST STREET CARS in the country. the class we ran required the use of stock appearing parts in the beginning, and eventually we were allowed too use a little more exotic stuff, performance lifters, springs and rockers..any way, we started using the "EDM" lifters as we called them because of the big spring pressures we had too run too make the power. the EDM hole allowed a film of oil too be pressurized against the cam lobe too keep the metal too metal contact down.which allowed bigger psi springs. we then started installing them in our solid lifter motors for street use with great results. no premature failures of cam lobes any more. i have personally used these in all my restorations of factory HP motors. including my crossram 302 8500 rpm 69 Z28, my l78 65 corvette, and several other 302 chevys i have built over the years along with several big horse 327, 350, 396, 427 motors. and none of them had one lifter or cam lobe failure!
so the old saying of "if it aint broke dont fix it" is way off with this. this is a definite PLUS in my book for durability and piece of mind. this of course is my humble opinion...troy
I'm glad to see some real world test results on actual street cars. Sounds like a good idea from those that need extra protection of the valve train.

Larry
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round

And if you've been in the business as long as I have you will know that GM small blocks had cam wear issues. So IMO they were broke.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

While I recognize that avoiding junk parts is the first priority, given the problem with ZDDP in oil problems, I’ll probably try to find some good direct lube lifters.
What ZDDP problem? Current C-category oils have as good or better anti-wear additives than before the P limitations.

The small block valve train is very reliable (other than lobe wear on some later C3 era cams due to process changes that reduced durability).

With proper OE equivalent valve spring setup, the LT-l cam valve train limiting speed is about 7200, but the engine won't make usable power this high unless the OE heads are massaged or it has better than OE flowing aftermarket heads.

It's your engine, but why experiment with something that works?

Duke
The following users liked this post:
Easy Rhino (07-15-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

These lifters are well worth the money. Used em consistently in big blocks for the last 15 years. You still need to use engine oil with ZDDP additive.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/COMP-...Hole,9234.html
Easy Rhino (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Avispa
These lifters are well worth the money. Used em consistently in big blocks for the last 15 years. You still need to use engine oil with ZDDP additive.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/COMP-...Hole,9234.html
i agree with the ZDDP oil. i for got too mention that in my original post here. we use nothing but brad penn oils in all our engines..troy
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well that's a fairly new innovation to lifters and I need to keep an open mind until I can be convinced. But isn't a solid flat tappet at an advantage over a hydraulic lifter? I'm referring to the lash adjustment which in turn allows the lifter to slap the lobe a little bit each cycle/revolution until the engine warms and then some. I would expect this would induce some amount of lifter rotation. Smokey Yunick (RIP) described flat tappet break-in procedures using lighter valve springs but didn't mention any difference between solid or hydraulic lifters for this.

Anyone found there is an advantage to breaking in solid lifters?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:21 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,346 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Well that's a fairly new innovation to lifters and I need to keep an open mind until I can be convinced. But isn't a solid flat tappet at an advantage over a hydraulic lifter? I'm referring to the lash adjustment which in turn allows the lifter to slap the lobe a little bit each cycle/revolution until the engine warms and then some. I would expect this would induce some amount of lifter rotation. Smokey Yunick (RIP) described flat tappet break-in procedures using lighter valve springs but didn't mention any difference between solid or hydraulic lifters for this.

Anyone found there is an advantage to breaking in solid lifters?
The lifters with the electric discharge oil hole have been around since before the oil additive change, and they work as designed. The lifter face oil hole is off center as part of the design. They result in benefits to reduce wear and noise.

The interface misalignment between the cam and lifter that promotes the lifter to spin is ground into the cam lobe. The cam lobe for a round flat tappet is slightly crowned with the high point off center to promote the lifter spin. The new lifter face is perfectly flat. The lifter spin is from unequal friction from the cam lobe crown across the lifter face. The spin promotes a sliding face contact that collects and squeezes the oil film ahead of the contact interface, resulting in a sliding friction coefficient that is close to the friction of a rolling face contact. The physics of the face oil film movement is also why the oil hole is off center in the lifter face, to locate the oil where the closest contact occurs.

This offset cam lobe crown is why well used lifters have a noticeable concave face, from the wear point of the lobe crown contact. It is also why used lifters should only be reused on the same cam lobe. A mismatch of the new lobe and used lifter concave wear can prevent the lifter spin, and flatten the new cam lobe.

A new flat lifter face endures break in from the off center crowned lobe of a used cam just like with a new cam, and spins. The risk of prior lifter wear altering the used cam lobe crown is low, but something to consider during an engine rebuild.

The cam lobe for a roller lifter or fixed cam follower does not need the crown, because there is no need to spin the lifter, and the cam lobe is ground square for full roller or follower width contact. The full width contact area reduces surface fatigue on the lifter and cam, enhancing the service life of a roller lifter assembly, even with higher rate valve springs and quicker lift acceleration rates compared to a round lifter.

If you use a roller cam with flat lifters, the lifters do not spin, and the lobes wear quickly (faster than the cam material difference contribution alone).

Its not the lash adjustment that promotes the lifter to spin, so there is no wear rate advantage to a lashed solid lifter over the continuous sliding face contact of a spinning hydraulic lifter. In fact, the solid lifter face wear is greater from surface fatigue induced by the impact as the lash is consumed, and why people concerned about valve train wear and noise are obsessed with setting lash at the clearance ramps of the lobe design (even if the lash does not make the best power for the engine assembly).

​​​​.
​​​​​​
tuxnharley (04-22-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
In fact, the solid lifter face wear is greater from surface fatigue induced by the impact as the lash is consumed, and why people concerned about valve train wear and noise are obsessed with setting lash at the clearance ramps of the lobe design (even if the lash does not make the best power for the engine assembly).

​​​​
​​​​​​
Exactly, but most don't get it, and both the lifters and lobes can fatigue wear from shock loading if clearance is taken up at higher than clearance ramp velocity.

Valve train noise is all those little "hammers" (lobes) whacking all those little "anvils" (lifters) at greater than clearance ramp velocity. If the clearance is set to take up lash at no more than clearance ramp velocity it may even be tough to tell that the cam is mechanical rather than hydraulic lifter.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 04-21-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Direct Lube Lifters?

Old 04-21-2018, 01:13 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think I should have emphasized in my post (#15) a solid lifter would have an advantage for lifter break-in.. I can see now how my post could read like I was talking about lobe or cam life. I really was asking about an advantage for lifter break-in when starting lifter rotation is crucial.

I tend to look at solid lifter having to move with respect to the lobe each cam rotation whether it wants to or not. More of cheap substitute for a roller cam for those of us that want to avoid wiping cam lobes on breaking in a new cam. Well somewhat cheaper as solid lifters are not as cheap as hydraulic lifters - at least when I last shopped for solid lifters.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

The lifters with the electric discharge oil hole have been around since before the oil additive change, and they work as designed. The lifter face oil hole is off center as part of the design. They result in benefits to reduce wear and noise.

The interface misalignment between the cam and lifter that promotes the lifter to spin is ground into the cam lobe. The cam lobe for a round flat tappet is slightly crowned with the high point off center to promote the lifter spin. The new lifter face is perfectly flat. The lifter spin is from unequal friction from the cam lobe crown across the lifter face. The spin promotes a sliding face contact that collects and squeezes the oil film ahead of the contact interface, resulting in a sliding friction coefficient that is close to the friction of a rolling face contact. The physics of the face oil film movement is also why the oil hole is off center in the lifter face, to locate the oil where the closest contact occurs.

This offset cam lobe crown is why well used lifters have a noticeable concave face, from the wear point of the lobe crown contact. It is also why used lifters should only be reused on the same cam lobe. A mismatch of the new lobe and used lifter concave wear can prevent the lifter spin, and flatten the new cam lobe.

A new flat lifter face endures break in from the off center crowned lobe of a used cam just like with a new cam, and spins. The risk of prior lifter wear altering the used cam lobe crown is low, but something to consider during an engine rebuild.

The cam lobe for a roller lifter or fixed cam follower does not need the crown, because there is no need to spin the lifter, and the cam lobe is ground square for full roller or follower width contact. The full width contact area reduces surface fatigue on the lifter and cam, enhancing the service life of a roller lifter assembly, even with higher rate valve springs and quicker lift acceleration rates compared to a round lifter.

If you use a roller cam with flat lifters, the lifters do not spin, and the lobes wear quickly (faster than the cam material difference contribution alone).

Its not the lash adjustment that promotes the lifter to spin, so there is no wear rate advantage to a lashed solid lifter over the continuous sliding face contact of a spinning hydraulic lifter. In fact, the solid lifter face wear is greater from surface fatigue induced by the impact as the lash is consumed, and why people concerned about valve train wear and noise are obsessed with setting lash at the clearance ramps of the lobe design (even if the lash does not make the best power for the engine assembly).

​​​​.
​​​​​​
Old 04-21-2018, 06:30 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

​​​​.
​​​​​​
That is excellent..thank you

Quick Reply: Direct Lube Lifters?