C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

always an ***hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
A few months ago a friend of my wife was stuck in Boston traffic and talking on her phone, which pisses me off also, and the guy behind her got so enraged that he pulled out a baseball bat and smashed her windshield. She was so terrified and called 911. He was obviously arrested because he couldn't go anywhere but the moral of the story is, you have to be careful who you **** off today because people are crazy. She was lucky he only used the baseball bat on her windshield and not her head.
And he was lucky he did that in Massachusetts. In other states he may have been rightfully shot.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tired
And he was lucky he did that in Massachusetts. In other states he may have been rightfully shot.
While I am as about as conservative politically as they come, no sane person should take the life of another person, even if they needed killing for Darwin's sake, for busting a windshield.

Now, you might argue that the victim of a windshield taken out with a baseball bat might have a real sense of danger for their life and limb, and you might win that in all but the most liberal locales if you used that as the defense for taking a life.

But a decent person would have a conscience to deal with the rest of their life for taking a life for having a windshield busted.

But you're right, in a state where armed citizens are the norm rather than the exception, taking a baseball bat to someone's occupied car could be a bad decision. Hence why I don't live in MA and why people feel more emboldened there to do things like that.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I applaud you for respecting the safety of the cyclists. You gave them cover which is always appreciated. That guy behind you was willing to put those riders in harms way. I ride and I see a lot of jerks. It's getting even more risky with distracted drivers. I avoid roads with no shoulder or high amounts of traffic.
I've noticed that in any Corvette, a car in the rear view mirror seems so close. They may not be that close. In your case, that would be frightening to have somebody that close where the only thing between you two is your gas tank.
You are totally exposed in that car! You can't antagonize!!
You did a good deed and that can never go unpunished unfortunately.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I once sat on a jury where we put a guy away for what he did in one of these road-rage incidents. Ever since then, even the worst crap these guys do gets only a smile from me...

Good luck being a tough guy...no future in it
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
I once sat on a jury where we put a guy away for what he did in one of these road-rage incidents. Ever since then, even the worst crap these guys do gets only a smile from me...

Good luck being a tough guy...no future in it
Can you share key points?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

Baseball bat wielding dude while trapped in traffic should elicit the ultimate response. You don’t know what he has in mind and you cannot retreat.
The following 2 users liked this post by pop23235:
2tired (04-24-2018), Frankie the Fink (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Baseball bat wielding dude while trapped in traffic should elicit the ultimate response. You don’t know what he has in mind and you cannot retreat.

I would not be doing my job as the protector of my family if in a situations where a quarter inch of tempered glass is between a bat and our heads I sat on my hands. I suppose some might say " let's give him a chance to stop swinging after he breaks the windows" but I don't believe those would be my thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
2tired (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Can you share key points?
I'd prefer not to share the details, (its someone else's life) but I will say that I learned that once these things get started, they get out of control quickly. There's no telling where it ends up, or who gets hurt, or worse...

Last edited by Vettrocious; 04-24-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by pop23235
SHTF faster than many can imagine...
Somebody enraged enough to break a windshield with a bat in front of scores of witnesses has lost all self-control....moreover, do you think he carries a baseball bat in the car for the explicit purpose of breaking glass ?
Hardly -- more like breaking heads....

I think defending yourself legally for acting forcefully in such a case wouldn't be that tough.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by C1 driver
Have you seen the Spielberg TV movie with Dennis Weaver called Duel? About an evil truck driver harassing Weaver travelling out west.
Exactly my thoughts when I was reading his post !
Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

eyes forward and go.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
The second set of horn got under my skin. After passing the bicyclists when safe to do so I slow down to 5 mph peering intently at both the side and rear view mirrors. Perhaps not a smart thing to do but I'm really pizzed.

The ***hole backs off and stayed back. .. Nothing like getting horn to disturb the tranquility. . . At La Honda the idiot turns off the hwy, about 30 seconds later had there been no slowdown. .. Quite bugged it was still a great run down the coast to Santa Cruz.
John

I see potentially three ticketable, maybe more, offences here on your part.

reckless driving, "In United States law, reckless driving is a major moving traffic violation. ... Reckless driving is often defined as a mental state in which the driver displays a wanton disregard for the rules of the road; the driver misjudges common driving procedures, often causing wrecks, accidents and other damages."

driving below the minimum speed limit

aggressive driving "Aggressive driving is defined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as the behaviour of an individual who "commits a combination of moving traffic offences so as to endanger other persons or property."
Kerrmudgeon (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Its not a good idea to play games with strangers these days... Heck, I have seen meth heads high on something driving.

I live in a city where the law is to give a bike three feet of space when passing a bicyclist. Don't get me started on that one... I love riding but sometimes it irks me when I see a bicyclist in the middle of the left turn lane holding up traffic to get their pedaling going only to hold up traffic more. I understand they need to make a left turn but do it on the side of the left turn lane. Ranting...

The worst one is getting behind a bike club on a weekend run. The bicyclist would ride down a 45 mile posted road going about 15 miles an hour 3 or 4 wide and will not move into single file to allow the cars to pass. Heck, I used to belong to a club and this was a big no no back then. We would draft and switch spots to help each other out but still would stay in a single file whenever there was traffic.

Now, for a truck versus a corvette. Corvette will lose every time. Be careful.

Debbie downer:
Back in the day, a father and daughter were driving their 62 corvette on a leisure drive. He came to stop sign to make a left turn. A semi truck with a load of hay was making a left at the intersection. His back tires drove over the corvette killing both father and daughter. Things happen...

Last edited by jimh_1962; 04-25-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Kerrmudgeon (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:13 PM
C1 driver
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just got my Hagerty electronic newsletter and coincidently they have an article on the movie Duel.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Before this thread goes into the dustbin:
My apologies for using salty language in the header and thread body. After reading through several comments here and upon reflection it was unwise to slow to 5 mph, the thought being to allow the truck behind to pass after the field of view was clear. Perhaps it could have caused other problems. For whatever reason he didn't take the cue to pass. Picking speed back up away we went.
John

Last edited by mrg; 04-26-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

My apologies for using salty language in the header and thread body. After reading through several comments here and upon reflection it was unwise to slow to 5 mph, the thought being to allow the truck behind to pass after the field of view was clear. Perhaps it could have caused other problems. For whatever reason he didn't take the cue to pass. Picking speed back up away we went.
John

Last edited by mrg; 04-26-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 773 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
John
Cudo's to you John! I rarely ever see someone on these forums admit to reconsidering something they've done. Most just dig themselves in deeper. This thread has been a good reminder to keep a cool head on the road, drive safely, and avoid escalating road rage. Thanks for sharing your story.

Patrick

Get notified of new replies

To always an ***hole

Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

There have always been a-holes on the road and there always will be.

Over the years (with age comes wisdom) I have learned the best thing for ME to do when being tailgated is to, as soon as is safely possible, get out of their way and let them get to the next STOP sign or RED LIGHT before I do.

If some mishap should occur to them that I get to observe I can decide to provide assistance, laugh and continue diving by or give the responding officer an account of what I have ovserved.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Since my wreck I've run a dash cam in my daily driver Tundra....you would be amazed at the things its captured....
Haven't caught an accident yet but, close calls ?, yeah a bunch - and all avoidable..
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Since my wreck I've run a dash cam in my daily driver Tundra....you would be amazed at the things its captured....
Haven't caught an accident yet but, close calls ?, yeah a bunch - and all avoidable..
Started running a dash cam two years ago. No denying what happens when it’s recorded.

Quick Reply: always an ***hole