C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

[QUOTE=GUSTO14;1597075880]Back in the 60's when Shelby added manual front disc brakes to the GT-350's he found it necessary to add this dash placard to the cars...

Good luck... GUSTO[/QUOTE

I assume a reference made necessary because of comp pads, not unassisted disks, many cars were sold with manual disks however none were big heavy cars.

Dan
Old 04-25-2018, 08:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Maybe the OP could grab a couple of handfuls of wheel weights and shove them in his back pockets and he could shove on the brake pedal a little harder?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:28 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C2 dude

I have the exact same situation with my 67. Everything is nearly new, nice hard pedal and the force required to stop the car is definely abnormal.
I am patiently waiting for your solution. Please hurry, the weather is finally turning here in VT and we’re anxious to get her on the road again🤓🤓🤓.
Seriously, good luck and hope you figure it
out.

Last edited by jbmcrae; 04-25-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

From the wear pattern on the front disc shown, it appears the pad is not contacting the inside of the rotor, only the outer half.

Also the color of the brake pads is black which indicates a metallic pad. Metallic pads are harder and require more pedal pressure from my experience with manual brakes.

The hoses on the front appear to be new. Do they by any chance have a wear band crimped on them? Some of the Chinese hoses with wear bands were crimped too tight and did not allow full flow. Your front brakes do most of the work.

Just observations from your pictures.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Brakes

Originally Posted by R66
From the wear pattern on the front disc shown, it appears the pad is not contacting the inside of the rotor, only the outer half.

Also the color of the brake pads is black which indicates a metallic pad. Metallic pads are harder and require more pedal pressure from my experience with manual brakes.

The hoses on the front appear to be new. Do they by any chance have a wear band crimped on them? Some of the Chinese hoses with wear bands were crimped too tight and did not allow full flow. Your front brakes do most of the work.

Just observations from your pictures.
So brake function involves the master, steel lines, rubber hoses, caliper and pads. One responder stated that he has a similar set up and that his stopped on a dime which does not at all describe mine. Other responders make then case that my expectations may be unrealistic and that may be but so far I do not have access to another midyear to compare with and that would be helpful. So I am going to continue investigating.
One member suggested pad glazing. Pulling the pads is the least invasive thing to do. The question is what do glazed pads look like, how does one know their glazed?? If that is ruled out I can move on to caliper function followed by the MC.

Quick Reply: Brakes