C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 "Floppy" Door Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 AM
AL1941
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 "Floppy" Door Mirror

The outside mirror on my 1963 coupe was "Floppy"--would not stay in place. The problem was in the ball & socket that holds the mirror to the the mirror base. Under the mirror glass (you need to remove it) is a spring clip that is riveted in place. There is no way to tighten it. I cleaned the parts with lacquer thinner to remove any grease. Then I mixed some slow setting golf club epoxy & applied it to the ball & socket. Cover it with masking tape to prevent it from flowing out of the joint. Do not use quick setting epoxy! Reassemble the mirror to the base & to the door. Adjust the mirror--be absolutely sure it is where you want it!!! & wait 5-6 hours. If the mirror is really loose you may need to tape it in place. Once this sets you can't move it.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Are you able to adjust it after this fix? Or is it permanently in a fixed position?

I've been using red loctite on the ball socket. Has been working well, but isn't a permanent fix. Caught my young son placinp with the mirror the other day. He was having fun and not doing any damage, but I did have to reapply the loctite that night
Old 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

If this mirror is designed like a C3 mirror (and I think it is), an easy way to fix it is to take a number 6 washer and cut it into a "C" shape. Then file it down so that it is thinner on the open end of the "C" (I used a Dremel tool). Then, pushing on the spring clip, push the washer between the clip and the rivet. That adds enough pressure on the ball so that the mirror performs as new (fully adjustable).

It worked fine on my C3 mirror.
The following users liked this post:
jprop (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Blue Loctite has worked fine for me.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

A dot of superglue on the ball, move it around and put it in the position you want. Still adjustable and it’s clear so there’s no blue or red showing. Lasts me a few years and then I just reapply. Dave
Old 05-05-2018, 12:26 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Forgive me, but it's been probably 8 years since I did this on my 67. But a fix is to remove the mirror from the car, take out the mirror glass by pulling out the retainer steel band (be careful you don't lose the springs behind the mirror), and when you have the glass out there's a riveted band in the center that keeps pressure on the mirror ball joint. Sit the mirror between blocks of wood so you don't break when you do the following: take a metal punch and a hammer and pound on the rivets that hold the metal band in place and the ball socket on the mirror should tighten up nicely. Reassemble.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 "Floppy" Door Mirror

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 "Floppy" Door Mirror