C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C2] Detroit Speed Headlight Motors Dropping

Old 05-04-2018, 05:33 PM
j_66chevelle
CF Senior Member

Default Detroit Speed Headlight Motors Dropping

I love the motors however I have an issue. I open and close them, they fit perfect as adjusted. Then I go for a ride and I find the passenger side has moved and you can easily tell because its no longer aligned with body.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 07:03 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,482 Times in 2,156 Posts

NO...because if it is adjusted correctly..and all is correct...it should not move out of adjustment.

DUB
Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,349 Times in 2,655 Posts

Do you have one of the original, early “clutched” sets?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 PM
j_66chevelle
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I purchased mine in June of 2014, I'm not sure if that qualifies as early or not. Detroit Speed was helpful and stated they had seen it on 1 or 2 cars.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same problem and they told me it was peculiar to the older clutched motors. It didn’t happen all the time.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:59 PM
fla-buckeye
CF Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Frank, was there more than one version? I bought a set early on, but never did install them, was there an issue?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 PM
65GGvert
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 949 Posts

May not be related to your issue, but my passenger side would close and drop back about half the time. If you adjusted it the other way. It stayed too far the other half. They were already on the car when I got it, so I took the passenger side actuator off and the rectangular arm that it slides on to turn the bucket had a worn place where the old motor was attached. In other words the rectangular hole in the actuator was slightly larger than the rod it slides on because of the wear. I cut a small piece of aluminum flashing like you use around a chimney under shingles into about a 1/4" wide by 1/2" long strip and inserted it into the opening in the actuator mount and wrapped it around the top of the fitting so it couldn't slide, then slid it back over the bucket arm. It made a very firm fit and it has stayed solid and in adjustment since. It takes very little movement in that arm to transfer to a larger movement in the bucket rotation. If you look down at the actuator and move the bucket up and down slightly, you can see if there is any play there before you take the actuator out. I don't know if you installed yours or if you have had one out, but it is only held in by a 5/16" screw at the brace on the nose, a hairpin clip and the opening I described sliding over the arm for the bucket. I could not get the actuator out of the opening without removing the hood, so I worked on it down in the opening.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye View Post
Frank, was there more than one version? I bought a set early on, but never did install them, was there an issue?
Here is all I can tell you...this mod was invented by a forum member then sold to Detroit Speed; for the first year of production or maybe longer the motors were 'clutched'....these were preferred by many because the motors could be manually 'goosed' up or down by hand easily, if something should fail. The motor supplier changed at some point so they were no longer 'clutched' and everybody thought they were 'fixed' in whatever position they occupied. As it turns out, the latest motors can also be manually operated (with more effort than the clutched, early versions) so that's good.

When I called to order motors recently they said I would like the newer versions because there were some instances of the buckets 'drooping' due to the clutches. My original motors (destroyed in a wreck) would occasionally do this...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-04-2018 at 09:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
fla-buckeye (05-04-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM
j_66chevelle
CF Senior Member

Update: Spoke with Detroit Speed and they are aware of the issue. They need a c2 in the North Carolina area with the motors to review the issue. Anyone volunteering?
Old 09-26-2018, 02:03 PM
65GGvert
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 949 Posts

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle View Post
Update: Spoke with Detroit Speed and they are aware of the issue. They need a c2 in the North Carolina area with the motors to review the issue. Anyone volunteering?

I live about 12 miles from the Detroit Speed company. But, the spacer I mentioned in my post above fixed mine and I don't really want to start playing around and maybe do some damage. If they are offering to change a stock one out at no charge, I can probably get a club member to volunteer.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Hitch
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I still have a set of the original types in a box along with the pilot versions in my 66..

HITCH
Old 09-29-2018, 06:41 AM
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member

I have an early set of Detroit Speed clutched motors. I love them. So far I have not experienced the drooping. However, I noticed that the left motor seems looser in the closed position than the right. But they both align to the body with not issues. I wonder if it could be that overriding the clutch would cause it to weaken.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Detroit Speed Headlight Motors Dropping

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: