C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Putting my car in show room

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by G S
I am toying with the idea of putting my 67 in the show room of the dealership where it was sold new. I think the dealer will let me but am worried about the public getting to close to my new paint. What do you think?

I think it would be neat to see it there talked to salesman last night and he thought the owner would go for it am going to take the car down and at least get a picture in front of the place.

Maybe for a 2-4 hour event only, such as the 4th of July. Use a please do not touch sign. Bring your long chair and Never take your eyes off the car. Drive it home the same day. Never leave the car unattended and always drive the car home the same day. Maybe you can get some free oil changes etc. out of the deal. This would be the same as going to a car show and you leave after the event and park it back in your garage for safe keeping.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Bad idea, don't do it!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteed
I had my car on display at a local indoor mall, along w/several other old cars from my car club. All the cars were roped off, so, I thought they'd be secure, and obviously "off limits" to the General Public. Wrong. They would go under the rope to get a better look, which also meant finger prints, spilled drinks, and scratches.

Never again. You can't trust the General Public.
BIGTIME! Read On!

Three Decades ago I just finished painting my 1967 Corvette myself! I had my 1967 at a Corvette show soon after at a Local Shopping Mall -inside the Mall Show.
I had beautiful stanchions around the car - A child pulled on one of the White Leather Ropes and knocked a stanchion into the font of my car - Took paint off the Nose - I was furious - The Mom said "So sue me, the car shouldn't be here anyway!"
No remorse . Never said the word sorry as well.

NEVER AGAIN - I trust no one!!! No one cares more about your Vette more than you do! Don't do it!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by G S
You folks have talked me out of doing it. The owner is one good guy and if he was around no one would touch my car but he can't be there all the time. It would just have been nice since it came from his store. I still have the order sheet his brother (Mike Terry's cousins husband) checked off on when it was new. Will get some photos at the dealership Clarks Chevrolet Cayuga Indiana my be the oldest if not one of the oldest in Indiana. Thanks George
Wow, that is a tiny little dealership in Cayuga. I used to do some work at the power plant in town and spent many days in the town. Don Coonce and Albert Clark used to run some record setting NHRA MP and Gas class midyear Corvette coupes out of that dealership back in the 70's.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:37 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Be sure to remove the lighter. And the fuel cap. And the door that covers the fuel cap. Rallye wheels or bolt-ons ? Doesn't matter, remove the center caps. That OEM spare tire lock has gotta' go. Whew, that was a lot of work. Hold on ... Now they don't want your car, because there are so many missing parts ?

Ray
Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Sort of amazed - I somewhat expected some variation in responses to this. But I will add my vote for the consensus - bad idea. The general public (or at least a significant portion of it) is careless, lacks respect for other's property, has no manners, lacks common sense, has low moral standards & ethics, is probably over-medicated if not outright doped out, and is jealous of what you have. But I'm not being negative - just observant. The electric fence idea was the best one if you want to proceed. I would throw a little razor wire on top for those few who are so drugged out that even tasers won't put them down.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Maybe for a 2-4 hour event only, such as the 4th of July. Use a please do not touch sign. Bring your long chair and Never take your eyes off the car. Drive it home the same day. Never leave the car unattended and always drive the car home the same day. Maybe you can get some free oil changes etc. out of the deal. This would be the same as going to a car show and you leave after the event and park it back in your garage for safe keeping.
Uh - that would be a no...

My split window was at SeaWorld for about 5 hours with stanchions around it and an employee (along with myself) watching the car. These pics are before the park opened and before the front and rear stanchions went up. Twice some little dweeb kid charged under the ropes before anybody could stop them....the fist kid slapped the fender hard with both hands in his excitement and the other grabbed the side view mirror trying to twist it off -- never again...

I only went this time to help out a SeaWorld staffer buddy to boost attendance. Any place like this I've gone has required you to sign a waiver absolving them of any responsibility for damage...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-12-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Be sure to remove the lighter. And the fuel cap. And the door that covers the fuel cap. Rallye wheels or bolt-ons ? Doesn't matter, remove the center caps. That OEM spare tire lock has gotta' go. Whew, that was a lot of work. Hold on ... Now they don't want your car, because there are so many missing parts ?

Ray

Two funny posts in a day, Ray is back!

FWIW, NO! Belt buckles, purses, kids, strollers, wheel chairs, shopping bags, rings, dogs, thieves, oops my coffee, everyone line up against the corvette to take a picture, I didn't knock the stanchion over........
The following users liked this post:
rayvaflav (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by dahogan

Two funny posts in a day, Ray is back!

FWIW, NO! Belt buckles, purses, kids, strollers, wheel chairs, shopping bags, rings, dogs, thieves, oops my coffee, everyone line up against the corvette to take a picture, I didn't knock the stanchion over........
A no-BS story....

I was at Old Town with my pal -- I had the '61 and he had his restomod '62. An Asian (sorry, I don't do nationalities well) teenager was leaning over the fender when we heard a "thunk". My pal said, "...that guy has some sort of necklace that whacked your fender!"

I confronted the kid who at first denied the incident...then he finally pulled his 'necklace' from inside his shirt. I kid you not -- it was a small coconut secured on a leather band. WTF ? Luckily, I didn't find any paint damage...
Old 05-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Unless it will be roped off never touched by anyone.
My father kept a DeTomaso Pantera behind ropes in his Ford dealership back in the day. It was there for years and was fine.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Uh - that would be a no...

My split window was at SeaWorld for about 5 hours with stanchions around it and an employee (along with myself) watching the car. These pics are before the park opened and before the front and rear stanchions went up. Twice some little dweeb kid charged under the ropes before anybody could stop them....the fist kid slapped the fender hard with both hands in his excitement and the other grabbed the side view mirror trying to twist it off -- never again...

I only went this time to help out a SeaWorld staffer buddy to boost attendance. Any place like this I've gone has required you to sign a waiver absolving them of any responsibility for damage...

Car shows are more of an adult group, who hopefully have the respect for classic car and truck. Great looking split window you have. Have you had a problems at car shows????
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Car shows are more of an adult group, who hopefully have the respect for classic car and truck. Great looking split window you have. Have you had a problems at car shows????
If you consider "Old Town" a car show and have read my last post then the answer is yes....

Now - at NCRS venues, and higher end shows, or, those attended primarily by "car people" then yes abusive "incidents" are nearly non-existent..
Old 05-12-2018, 10:57 AM
G S
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you consider "Old Town" a car show and have read my last post then the answer is yes....

Now - at NCRS venues, and higher end shows, or, those attended primarily by "car people" then yes abusive "incidents" are nearly non-existent..
I thought it would be cool only because it is such a small dealership and only has a one car showroom not like a big super store that has 6 or 10 cars and tons of people wondering around. After thinking it over I think you all are right.(Wife didn't seem much in favor from the get go.)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Add me to the list of don’t do it. Too many little people whose parents let them run wild, and punks with chain -drive wallets, not to mention morons on bikes and strollers!! Even though I was close to my car years ago at a show, couldn’t believe the brazenness of some folks. I got home and saw what I thought was oil drops on top of my valve covers - turned out to be ice cream that had dripped from some azzhat’s cone!
Old 05-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by G S
I thought it would be cool only because it is such a small dealership and only has a one car showroom not like a big super store that has 6 or 10 cars and tons of people wondering around. After thinking it over I think you all are right.(Wife didn't seem much in favor from the get go.)
What is the real reason(s) you are doing this ?

1) So others can enjoy your car, and,
2) To support this dealership....

You could accomplish nearly the same thing by driving over there on some pretext and parking the car out front for an hour or so and get it out of your system....or arrange with the owner to have it out front a couple of Saturdays with you watching it closely...

When I drove the split window to our local Toyota dealer to pick up some floor mats the place literally 'dumped out' with staff and customers surrounding the car. I hate to jostle folks aside to get to it to leave....
Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
G S
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the real reason(s) you are doing this ?

1) So others can enjoy your car, and,
2) To support this dealership....

You could accomplish nearly the same thing by driving over there on some pretext and parking the car out front for an hour or so and get it out of your system....or arrange with the owner to have it out front a couple of Saturdays with you watching it closely...

When I drove the split window to our local Toyota dealer to pick up some floor mats the place literally 'dumped out' with staff and customers surrounding the car. I hate to jostle folks aside to get to it to leave....
Frankie the answer to your question is both of the above This is a small family owned store and they take care of there customers. We live about 20 miles away from them in Illinois I think I see as many of there cars here as I do in Indiana. Dad used to buy from them (never a new car) and they treated him like he was one of there own going so far as coming over here to visit him in the hospital when he was fighting cancer and even coming to his visitation GOOD PEOPLE.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'll add one more item, which at first seems so far fetched as to be laughable.

What happens if somebody gets past the ropes and sets their kid on a fender for a picture, the kid slides off due to your nice wax job, and cracks his head on the floor?

A lawsuit sounds preposterous - until you think of some of the other BS stuff we have all read about in disbelief.

Your motives are good, but be real careful what you do and how you do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting my car in show room

Old 05-12-2018, 02:05 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
What happens if somebody gets past the ropes and sets their kid on a fender for a picture, the kid slides off due to your nice wax job, and cracks his head on the floor?

A lawsuit sounds preposterous - until you think of some of the other BS stuff we have all read about in disbelief.
I think the legalese for the car is "Attractive Nuisance". Lovely--
Old 05-12-2018, 06:25 PM
LateOutDrsMn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
BIGTIME! Read On!

Three Decades ago I just finished painting my 1967 Corvette myself! I had my 1967 at a Corvette show soon after at a Local Shopping Mall -inside the Mall Show.
I had beautiful stanchions around the car - A child pulled on one of the White Leather Ropes and knocked a stanchion into the font of my car - Took paint off the Nose - I was furious - The Mom said "So sue me, the car shouldn't be here anyway!"
No remorse . Never said the word sorry as well.

NEVER AGAIN - I trust no one!!! No one cares more about your Vette more than you do! Don't do it!

Saw something very similar at a dodge dealer here in Vegas a few years ago. We were there for a friend, hanging out in the showroom, because it was cooler(Vegas summer). The showroom was normally set up with a truck and a car, but they had pulled both, and placed a customers Viper ACR in the center of the showroom. The history of this car (which had been in some races or something) was on a plaque near the rear of the car, with velvet ropes all the way around the car. Big Do Not Touch signs on each pole, . Didn't save it. Couple with a wild little 3-4 year old boy were looking to buy a vehicle, but didn't have a short enough leash on him. He eventually crashed right into one of the poles, knocking it hard into the drivers side of the car, right where the door and the front fender meet. The father barked loudly at the kid, then got indignant and started argueing with the sales man, acting like the car shouldn't have been there, and then quickly shuffled his family out and left. Shortly later, what I believe to be the dealership GM and the same salesman inspected the side of the car. lots of swearing and head shaking. I made it a point to look as we left a little while later. Both the fender and the door had dents and chips in paint where the pole hit.

Last edited by LateOutDrsMn; 05-12-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:36 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

It's the free range nose miners that worry me the most.

Quick Reply: Putting my car in show room