C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What was my 63 originally

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DIP51
BEAUTIFUL color combo!!!! Don't know what you paid for it and not going to ask...but that looks like a very fine example by the pics shown!!!!!
Thank you!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:40 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I think he probably just meant the VIN stamped into the frame rail?

Yes thats correct. I want to thank all of you for your patience with me thus far. I will get the hang of this eventually and want to become an accretive member to the group.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
The “special silver” you reference is a regular production color, Sebring Silver code 941. I think the “special” part is the fact it was the only color option that year that actually cost extra, a whopping $80.70.

The combo with blue is very rare and gorgeous.

Your VIN tag looks “refreshed” to me. The tag itself is quite new looking, and the bar it’s affixed to is freshly painted. The original look usually shows some grinding behind the 2 spot welds. A prior owner must have detailed this area.
I was going to say the same thing but since my computer screen is not all that great, I did not.
The following users liked this post:
fjd (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I agree....very classy looking car. Thanks for the photos!! Glad it didn't turn out to be a '63 Rambler!
fjd (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:25 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

The car might have a "2nd plate" if it was ever shipped to and titled in Europe.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
The car might have a "2nd plate" if it was ever shipped to and titled in Europe.
Sometimes I think the less I know the better...lol. Drove it today to meet a friend....AC fan now making noises lol. I guess its the way it goes with these if they arent frame off.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I agree....very classy looking car. Thanks for the photos!! Glad it didn't turn out to be a '63 Rambler!
LOL thanks for the laugh.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:46 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fjd
Sometimes I think the less I know the better...lol. Drove it today to meet a friend....AC fan now making noises lol. I guess its the way it goes with these if they arent frame off.
Gorgeous Corvette. Enjoy and DRIVE it. You'll soon see that you'll never have a period of more than a few months when something will pop up which needs to be addressed. Mostly minor things, but that's how it is with 50+ year old cars. And that applies whether or not the car was completely restored or not.

Besides what you've already found, there are a lot of non original parts in the engine bay. Perhaps the biggest single thing that you can do to regain "correctness" is to install a reproduction dual snorkel air cleaner. I happen to like the one that's already installed, but "correctness" matters to some more than to others. Of course, restoring the dark blue interior will beautify the car even more.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 228 Posts

I like Silver!!!

Good looking car! Welcome.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:29 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by smacota1
I like Silver!!!

Good looking car! Welcome.
Thank you! Glad to be here among friends.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:32 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Gorgeous Corvette. Enjoy and DRIVE it. You'll soon see that you'll never have a period of more than a few months when something will pop up which needs to be addressed. Mostly minor things, but that's how it is with 50+ year old cars. And that applies whether or not the car was completely restored or not.

Besides what you've already found, there are a lot of non original parts in the engine bay. Perhaps the biggest single thing that you can do to regain "correctness" is to install a reproduction dual snorkel air cleaner. I happen to like the one that's already installed, but "correctness" matters to some more than to others. Of course, restoring the dark blue interior will beautify the car even more.

Thanks. I have a lot to learn but I believe you are spot on about the items popping up every so often. I do like the dual snorkel air cleaner and that's a thought but I think functionality vs looks for the money hierarchy for now. I agree going back to dark blue would be correct but I have to admit to liking the sliver too. As the seats have some splits this may be an item in the near future. Additionally is there any way to tell the original top color. The current one on the car is white and is shot. Everyone is telling me to go black.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fjd
Thanks. I have a lot to learn but I believe you are spot on about the items popping up every so often. I do like the dual snorkel air cleaner and that's a thought but I think functionality vs looks for the money hierarchy for now. I agree going back to dark blue would be correct but I have to admit to liking the sliver too. As the seats have some splits this may be an item in the near future. Additionally is there any way to tell the original top color. The current one on the car is white and is shot. Everyone is telling me to go black.

Thanks!
I'm not sure about top color, and you may never be able to determine whether it was originally black, white or beige.

I agree about the black top, but only if you keep the silver guts. If you go back to the dark blue, then I'd prefer the white top.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Depending on how concerned you are about originality, there are many choices of convertible top material and color.

In my case I recently replaced my white vinyl top with a dark blue Stayfast/Haartz cloth top from Al Knoch.

I think that would look great on a silver or white car!
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Think the white top looks fine, why follow the herd?

Car looks great just the way it is, no "right" way to keep one just drive it. its just a car (nice one, too)
Too often youll hear comments urging you make yours like theirs...or everyone elses or its no good. Thats unique..

Last edited by cv67; 05-25-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Ah geeze - I was just trying to offer him alternatives he might not be aware of. There is no right or wrong answer.
fjd (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I'm not sure about top color, and you may never be able to determine whether it was originally black, white or beige.

I agree about the black top, but only if you keep the silver guts. If you go back to the dark blue, then I'd prefer the white top.

To all of you, thanks for the advice. Nice to hear there is no right answer because as a new guy you think there is. I appreciate all the feedback. The blue top does look great and would be nice if I ever work my way back to the original interior color. I dont think you can go wrong with either the black or the white.

Regards
Frankie
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

That is one beautiful '63! Congrads on your purchase.

Pat
fjd (05-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What was my 63 originally

Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by fjd
To all of you, thanks for the advice. Nice to hear there is no right answer because as a new guy you think there is. I appreciate all the feedback. The blue top does look great and would be nice if I ever work my way back to the original interior color. I dont think you can go wrong with either the black or the white.

Regards
Frankie
Out of all the cruises I go to I can't think of one white top that looks good after a a couple of years (unless the car is rarely driven). They all look dirty because they show every little mark. Just my observation in my area.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 AM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ptjsk
That is one beautiful '63! Congrads on your purchase.

Pat

Thanks Pat! Love yours if that red one is it.

Best
Frankie
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 AM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KC John
Out of all the cruises I go to I can't think of one white top that looks good after a a couple of years (unless the car is rarely driven). They all look dirty because they show every little mark. Just my observation in my area.

I happen to agree with that. Additionally since my wife is still smarting overy my "mid-life crisis purchase" and she is in favor of black, I may go that way. At least there would be one thing she approved of lol. She does begrudgingly admit that the car is "wowsers". Unfortunately the one ride she went on the fan or blower motor for the AC started making noise like it was rubbing something and that rubbed her the wrong way lol.

Back to the existing white top, the frame is wobbly it does not seat well on the drivers window (I don't think the prior owner ever had it up), it's super shrinky tight, back window is opaque and I'd say mold on the inside or at least white dust (coke? lol) - so it has to go. Latest quote is $1,100 and a "We'll see what we can do about the frame". Wife taking fits now. Who wants to make an offer lol.

Frankie

Quick Reply: What was my 63 originally