C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crankcase venting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Crankcase venting question

The C2 327 engines, at least 66 and 67, vent the engine in two places. From the oil filler tube through the PCV valve to the base of the carburetor and from the rear top of the block to the air cleaner base.

My question is are both of these necessary?

The reason I ask is non-corvette question but related. I just purchased a 1965 El Camino. It has a 83/84 350 engine that is dressed like a 65 Chevelle/El Camino L79. So It has the vent from the oil filler to carb base but not from the back of the engine to the air cleaner. The air clear base has an opening for the vent tube but it has been taped over.

I'm not all that familiar with the 350 engines, but I believe they all had some sort of venting from the valve covers.

Am I OK with just the PCV venting on this engine?

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Generally, no. You need a path for air to get into the engine as well as the path pulling air out (which is what you have from the oil filler to the carb).

If you want to keep this looking like a '65 motor, you will need to come up with a hidden breather. Lots of folks have put one at the rear of one of the valve covers.

Last edited by Duck916; 06-20-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Duck916 is correct. The carburetor is sucking the air out of the crankcase through the oil filler/PCV valve. That air has to be replenished. The '66-67 system is supplying filtered air through the air cleaner and into the block. You need to duplicate that somehow -- easiest is a breather with a filter on one of the valve covers.

Last edited by LB66383; 06-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 617 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by LB66383
Duck916 is correct. The carburetor is sucking the air out of the crankcase through the oil filler/PCV valve. That air has to be replenished. The '66-67 system is supplying filtered air through the air cleaner and into the block. You need to duplicate that somehow -- easiest is a breather with a filter on one of the valve covers.
I agree that a filtered, fresh air intake port needs to be added. Assuming that you want to keep the existing block that lacks the rear crankcase vent, there are several different solutions that can be considered. Following are some solutions I have seen (and may have photos of on a different computer)

1) Add a vent in the side or end of a valve cover and attach it to the filtered fresh air intake port on the air cleaner base.

2) Purchase an aftermarket valve cover that has this added vent but otherwise looks like the factory midyear valve cover (can't recall the vendor's name).

3) Use the 1968 Z28/LT1 valve cover that has the vent but looks a bit different from the C2 cover. However, it's still a handsome valve cover.

4) Drill an intake hole through the intake manifold just behind the carburetor, where the hole will go straight into the lifter valley.

Note that all of these options provide a fresh air intake port that connects to the air cleaner base. The exhaust port will remain as you have it now, from the oil fill tube, through a PVC valve, to an intake manifold vacuum port on the carb.

Most people recommend putting some sort of baffle on the fresh air intake port to prevent oil droplets from being pushed out the intake port under certain conditions such as high rpm operation. I'm not sure how important this is for the intake side, but it's probably a good idea to include the baffle.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM
ukcraig
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
I agree that a filtered, fresh air intake port needs to be added. Assuming that you want to keep the existing block that lacks the rear crankcase vent, there are several different solutions that can be considered. Following are some solutions I have seen (and may have photos of on a different computer)

1) Add a vent in the side or end of a valve cover and attach it to the filtered fresh air intake port on the air cleaner base.

2) Purchase an aftermarket valve cover that has this added vent but otherwise looks like the factory midyear valve cover (can't recall the vendor's name).

3) Use the 1968 Z28/LT1 valve cover that has the vent but looks a bit different from the C2 cover. However, it's still a handsome valve cover.

4) Drill an intake hole through the intake manifold just behind the carburetor, where the hole will go straight into the lifter valley.

Note that all of these options provide a fresh air intake port that connects to the air cleaner base. The exhaust port will remain as you have it now, from the oil fill tube, through a PVC valve, to an intake manifold vacuum port on the carb.

Most people recommend putting some sort of baffle on the fresh air intake port to prevent oil droplets from being pushed out the intake port under certain conditions such as high rpm operation. I'm not sure how important this is for the intake side, but it's probably a good idea to include the baffle.

This site may help https://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11026.php
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 617 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by ukcraig
Yup, PML is the vendor whose name I could not recall.

Get notified of new replies

To Crankcase venting question

Quick Reply: Crankcase venting question