C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

vintage hurst shifter in 64

Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default vintage hurst shifter in 64

this car came in pieces.. the 4 speed trans is a m20 dated late 65, yes I know its wrong, I'm about to look inside and see what it needs and if it real worn I'll hunt a correct one.

The shifter on it is a vintage hurst which may or may not be in good shape. I'm considering trying the hurst if it is a simple fit but suspect it isn't.. I did much glass work on the tunnel/shifter area and wonder if all that destruction was due to making the hurst fit in this car. I remember in the late 60's I replaced the muncie in my 396 Camaro with a hurst and liked the hurst much better. The muncie wasn't smooth and needed constant attention due to being too weak for power shifts.

just realized recently there is a "thanks" button I can use to thank each individual response. I'll try to remember to use it but you should all know I appreciate all your help.

Last edited by ohpoppy; 05-24-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

A Hurst Competition Plus with the right installation kit will work in your car without hacking up the stock tunnel.

The shifter body and linkage kit has to be the right one for a midyear Corvette. Some here can provide Hurst part numbers.

Your Camaro should have had a factory Hurst shifter in it if it was a 1969 model.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-24-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I just installed a "freshened up" Hurst Competition Plus in my 64 coupe.

It was a tight fit to get it in the car (coming in from the top), but I did not have to cut any fiberglass to get it in.

It is hands down the single best improvement I have done to the car so far. The factory 64 Muncie shifter was sloppy.

Now that the differential has been rebuilt, this is really a fun car to drive.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

it is a competition plus.. #544-611. I googled that number with no success. Its possible its not for a corvette..
#

I called Hurst and they tell me the number means nothing since the same shifter went on many cars, the linkage is the key and where it attaches to the trans may not line up to the hole on the tunnel.

I will have to take some measurements or wait till the trans is in the car.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ohpoppy
it is a competition plus.. #544-611. I googled that number with no success. Its possible its not for a corvette..
#

I called Hurst and they tell me the number means nothing since the same shifter went on many cars, the linkage is the key and where it attaches to the trans may not line up to the hole on the tunnel.

I will have to take some measurements or wait till the trans is in the car.
There are some different configurations of the lower arms on the shifter itself, i.e. different one for certain cars and trans. If that is incorrect, the linkage stated for the car will not work.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
There are some different configurations of the lower arms on the shifter itself, i.e. different one for certain cars and trans. If that is incorrect, the linkage stated for the car will not work.
That is correct! There is also different configurations concerning the handle or the stub that bolt on handles attach to. No expert here on Hurst shifters as I don't care for them. I've removed them from every car I've had that previous owners installed them on except my '70 Nova. If you'd ever try to shift the OEM MUNCIE shifter, you'd understand why I left the Hurst in it.

The OP must have gotten Hurst info from someone in the housekeeping or grounds keeper department.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My 63 with its original early Muncie came to me with a Hurst Competition shifter - no way am I changing it out...
Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ohpoppy
this car came in pieces.. the 4 speed trans is a m20 dated late 65, yes I know its wrong, I'm about to look inside and see what it needs and if it real worn I'll hunt a correct one.

The shifter on it is a vintage hurst which may or may not be in good shape. I'm considering trying the hurst if it is a simple fit but suspect it isn't.. I did much glass work on the tunnel/shifter area and wonder if all that destruction was due to making the hurst fit in this car. I remember in the late 60's I replaced the muncie in my 396 Camaro with a hurst and liked the hurst much better. The muncie wasn't smooth and needed constant attention due to being too weak for power shifts.

just realized recently there is a "thanks" button I can use to thank each individual response. I'll try to remember to use it but you should all know I appreciate all your help.
In my opinion the best 4 speed shifter set up is a Hurst Competition Plus with the factory look-a-like handle bolted to it. Best shifter with the factory look.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:41 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

my 68 camaro came with a muncie shifter.. it was sloppy and clunky. I think if one drives a car very carefully and shifts precisely a muncie will be ok just like all the shifters that came on all the cars in the 60;s and 70's. If you're racing the quarter mile the muncie is junk. I once pulled into 2nd and the ball broke off.

when my corvette is finished I will power shift it through the gears every once in a while.. I would hate to take a chance and blow the motor which is the original FI block.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Vintage HURST

I am going to never go back stock shifter...... Vintage HURST only way to go. Fit perfectly in 1963 Vette. I bought this from a guy from work. He bought and installed it in his Brand New 63 Vette and never looked back!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 02:04 AM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

Here is mine. I really enjoy the location of the shifter, fits my hand perfectly.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MikeM
The OP must have gotten Hurst info from someone in the housekeeping or grounds keeper department.
Finally...., something that Mike and I agree on; although the access may be tight, with the correct adapter plate to bolt to the tailshaft housing and correct linkage rods the Hurst fits perfectly, locationwise and otherwise

Bill
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is my Hurst Comp shifter on an original Muncie, even has the fake lockout...

It'll also pass judging ops check if you grunt a little and wince as you pretend to pull up on the hypodermic needle finger prongs to shift into reverse...

(Or so I've heard)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-27-2018 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
64SilverbluePhx (05-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To vintage hurst shifter in 64

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vintage hurst shifter in 64