C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 prferences

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default C2 prferences

I know we all like different body styles (coupe vs. convertible) and years for different reasons at least I do. Here are my preferences and why. Let’s hear yours.

I am a coupe guy for C2s so my comments are based on that.

1963—Iconic first year totally redesigned car with beautiful split window coupe design but poor visibility. No disc brakes, non functioning vents, no lateral seat support, no molded door panels and too many seams in the rear carpet Not heat molded like 1965 up.

1964—Same car as the 63 minus the split rear window. Better engine choices (more h.p.) but always considered the red headed stepchild of the C2s the benefit being it can usually be purchased for less money.

1965—More refined car. Disc brakes, functional vents, a little lateral seat support design compared to 63-64, molded door panels and carpet, big block option with power bulge hood.

1966—Same car as the 1965 except for dropping the “C” pillar vents—cleaner look, dropped the F.I. engine option, upped the big block to 427 cid.

1967—While most refer to it as the most refined there are things I DON’T like such as the center mounted parking brake handle and the back up light lense. Things I do like are the fender vents, big block hood design and tri power options.

All in all for ME and the $$ value I prefer the 65-66 coupes over all the C2s The 66 has a cleaner profile without the “C” pillar vents but on the other hand I like the functioning driver’s side vent so it is a wash for me for either one. I love the LOOK of the 63 split window but would not pay the current day premium for it. Likewise with a 67.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 PM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I have owned six different 65 convertibles over the years. Been looking for a coupe, but never rode in,or drove one. Other C2 owners with more experience tell me that coupes are noisier than convertibles and hot, even with AC. Was serious about a coupe now that my convertible just sold, but now I am on the fence as to which one is better for me. Sure like the exterior look of the coupes.

Sure like the looks of a white/blue coupe, 300hp with a 'glide.

Last edited by EnfieldJoe; 05-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Though I have a '64 convertible, which I certainly enjoy, my favorite Midyear would be a 1965 Coupe Big Block. I love the hood on the '65/'66 big block cars and honestly don't care for the '67 BB hood.

My wife is jonesing for a SWC. Too rich for my blood--one in condition comparable to my '64 would run double the price....

Last edited by Duck916; 05-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
I have owned six different 65 convertibles over the years. Been looking for a coupe, but never rode in,or drove one. Other C2 owners with more experience tell me that coupes are noisier than convertibles and hot, even with AC. Was serious about a coupe now that my convertible just sold, but now I am on the fence as to which one is better for me. Sure like the exterior look of the coupes.

Sure like the looks of a white/blue coupe, 300hp with a 'glide.

You have some bad info. Coupes are WAY tighter and quitter than a convertible, I have had both. The coupe is only warmer because it is a closed car. Your back is going to be just as wet in a convert as a coupe on the same hot day and your skin is going to fry in the convert. and not in the coupe. I live in Central AZ. and when I get in my coupe from the garage it is just fine but in the 100 degree weather it warms up fast inside. Up to about 85 degrees it is pleasuable to drive. I drive it more in the winter than the summer.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:35 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

My favorite is probably a '64 roadster. I like convertible sports cars, and I like the subtle fender coves of the early cars better than the gills. I also like the interior of the '64 much better than the molded plastic of the later cars. The '63 is iconic and great, but too many one year only and first year teething problems for my taste.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:59 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I know what let's do. Toss out another "which do you like better" thread, and ask for opinions. Then when you get them, tee off on them for all the reasons they are "wrong".
Ain't the internet great!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:03 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I know what let's do. Toss out another "which do you like better" thread, and ask for opinions. Then when you get them, tee off on them for all the reasons they are "wrong".
Ain't the internet great!
I know we all like different body styles (coupe vs. convertible) and years for different reasons at least I do. Here are my preferences and why. Let’s hear yours.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Ive owned both coupe and vert.
Coupe looks the best by far.
Convert for my taste is a much more fun car to drive.
Bought enjoyed and sold 3 coupes.
Own our 66 vert for 32 years and counting, took the hardtop off when I bought, covered it up, it put it away and havent even looked at it since.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

Here are my preferences and why. Let’s hear yours.
Probably few here care what your preferences are. This thread is like a previous thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-fantasy.html
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeM
Probably few here care what your preferences are. This thread is like a previous thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-fantasy.html
It is not just about MY preference. I was prompted to start this thread because of the one you quoted and did not want to highjack it. I listed my preferences for others that lurk and may be thinking of a C2 purchase as it shows most of the basic differences some may be interested in knowing as well as my likes and dislikes.

Last edited by 68hemi; 05-24-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68hemi
It is not just about MY preference. I was prompted to start this thread because of the one you quoted and did not want to highjack it. I listed my preferences for others that lurk and may be thinking of a C2 purchase as it shows most of the basic differences some may be interested in knowing as well as my likes and dislikes.
The way you worded yourpreferences seemed very biased to me and not really correct or pertinent. Thus, my response.

Starting in 1963, I lusted after a red '63 Corvette with black interior and fuel injection.convertible Didn't give two hoots to a holler about a coupe. Some of the bankers here call it a SWC and puff out their chest when they advise what they own. I puff mine out when I advise I have a convertible. Then I get accused of being a SWChater because I like convertibles.

I finally found the car I wanted (after looking for 30 years) except it didn't have the right engine but I had enough junk laying around to build a very close facsimile to the real thing for chump change. So, I did and I am very happy with the result.

That said, the talking heads "in the know" now accuse me of building a fraud, depreciating the value of their (real?) cars and in general, turn their nose down at what I like.

If you have drum brakes, a green car, no rubber body mounts (63), fender flares, SB engine, PG, former crash rebuild, repaint, re-upholster, engine rebuilt, or in other words, a repo mobile, there will always be a cadre of onlookers who will look down their nose at your pride and joy.

PS. Since you asked, I don't care for BB Corvettes either.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-24-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

mine has an Ultrashield seat, and I wear 3 layers of Nomex when I drive it
Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I put side pipes on my coupe because I had heard they cut down on interior heat in the summer. I have found this to be true.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

When I went shopping for a Midyear I was dead set on (based on what The General had to offer) on a '66 Coupe but I wanted a few simple changes based on my own preferences. Those aggressive '65/'66 side vents, the lack of the roof quarter vents for a cleaner look, the seat pattern and that sweet-*** mid-century modern upright deck and glovebox emblem. I struggled with reinstalling that weirdly placed hood emblem, but I did it. And I eliminated the back-up lamps in lieu of four functioning tail/stoplamps. Goldlines, darker center knock-off wheels, Goldline tires and side exhaust, all available in '65-'66 but those dash ***** in a '66 are a work of art. And they seem to weigh about 6 pounds each. Milano Maroon with Saddle interior, my second choice only to Trophy Blue with Dark Blue interior. And if I coulda' found a 427/425hp …

Ray
Old 05-24-2018, 09:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeM
The way you worded yourpreferences seemed very biased to me and not really correct or pertinent. Thus, my response.

Starting in 1963, I lusted after a red '63 Corvette with black interior and fuel injection.convertible Didn't give two hoots to a holler about a coupe. Some of the bankers here call it a SWC and puff out their chest when they advise what they own. I puff mine out when I advise I have a convertible. Then I get accused of being a SWChater because I like convertibles.

I finally found the car I wanted (after looking for 30 years) except it didn't have the right engine but I had enough junk laying around to build a very close facsimile to the real thing for chump change. So, I did and I am very happy with the result.

That said, the talking heads "in the know" now accuse me of building a fraud, depreciating the value of their (real?) cars and in general, turn their nose down at what I like.

If you have drum brakes, a green car, no rubber body mounts (63), fender flares, SB engine, PG, former crash rebuild, repaint, re-upholster, engine rebuilt, or in other words, a repo mobile, there will always be a cadre of onlookers who will look down their nose at your pride and joy.

PS. Since you asked, I don't care for BB Corvettes either.
I've often wondered why it behooves a certain individual here to peek in on my profile after I've made some kind of post that goes against the grain of the boy's club. Never seems to fail.

I thought free speech was a constitutional right?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 623 Likes on 363 Posts

I work in a car design studio, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Tesla, I have worked in many of them over the years, still do, and it's all about styling for me. My favorite exterior, 65-66 side coves & BB Hood. Interior absolutely think 64 has the nicest gauge package, & console paint and contrasting colors, 63-64 door panels & carpet. I don't like the 65 & up door panels & all the style is gone in the guages. Otherwise, the cars aren't much different. I have offset trailing arms & disks, a matching #'s car with its original fresh 365 solid lifer motor, & a spare 422ci smallblock with 642hp, all I need is a 66 front clip & Nassau Blue paint!! Lol
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

My heart tells me I would want a solid lifter big block 4 speed '65 '66 '67 coupe my head says any C2 coupe with a high horsepower 327 4 speed with A/C. I'm really not set on a particular year more interested in something fun to drive so in reality a small block A/C coupe would probably fit that description the best.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 prferences

Old 05-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 623 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
four functioning tail/stoplamps. Goldlines, darker center knock-off wheels, Goldline tires and side exhaust, all available in '65-'66 but those dash ***** in a '66 are a work of art. And they seem to weigh about 6 pounds each. Ray
Definitely 4 red stop lamps in my opinion, not 6!! I'm about to order redline tires, & specify a 5/8" wide instead of the standard 3/8" wide redline stripe.

I like the details about the dash *****, I'll have to check those out.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
I work in a car design studio, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Tesla, I have worked in many of them over the years, still do, and it's all about styling for me. My favorite exterior, 65-66 side coves & BB Hood. Interior absolutely think 64 has the nicest gauge package, & console paint and contrasting colors, 63-64 door panels & carpet. I don't like the 65 & up door panels & all the style is gone in the guages. Otherwise, the cars aren't much different. I have offset trailing arms & disks, a matching #'s car with its original fresh 365 solid lifer motor, & a spare 422ci smallblock with 642hp, all I need is a 66 front clip & Nassau Blue paint!! Lol
Totally agree with your comments on interior styling. Then as a coupe guy, I love the '63 split purely as a styling statement, but also appreciate the '64-'65 functional rear vent fan. '65-66 teak/tele. '65-66 side coves. '65-'67 sidepipes. '65-'67 4 wheel discs. '67 stinger hood.

So hard to pick just one!

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
My heart tells me I would want a solid lifter big block 4 speed '65 '66 '67 coupe my head says any C2 coupe with a high horsepower 327 4 speed with A/C. I'm really not set on a particular year more interested in something fun to drive so in reality a small block A/C coupe would probably fit that description the best.
Yep. For me, these cars are really a pleasure to drive with a high revving small block, without power steering or brakes, but add power windows, leather seats, teak/tele wheel, and A/C as the icing on the cake. Big blocks are great in a straight line, but for everything else, I'll take a small block any day.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Totally agree with your comments on interior styling. Then as a coupe guy, I love the '63 split purely as a styling statement, but also appreciate the '64-'65 functional rear vent fan. '65-66 teak/tele. '65-66 side coves. '65-'67 sidepipes. '65-'67 4 wheel discs. '67 stinger hood.

So hard to pick just one!

Yep. For me, these cars are really a pleasure to drive with a high revving small block, without power steering or brakes, but add power windows, leather seats, teak/tele wheel, and A/C as the icing on the cake. Big blocks are great in a straight line, but for everything else, I'll take a small block any day.
The big block can be tossed around corners every bit as easy as the small block. I've owned both and found this view that small blocks handle better than big blocks to be a bogus argument by small block guys to justify their car (when they don't need to). I spent years racing Formula Fords and Super Vees and know a little bit about how cars handle at speed.

Perhaps some contemporary words: "Equipped with the 327, the '65's front-to-rear weight distribution was 47/53% and with the 396, 51/49. However, test reports indicated very little difference in handling between the two." From "Corvette - An American Classic"

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 prferences