C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Flatironsjim
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C2 headlight motor

Hi, new member here in process of reassembling a 63 split window that I recently picked up. PO installed new wiring and I've found a few misfired connectors. Presently working on headlamp motors which are also new. Initially got a large current draw with neither headlamp opening. Disconnected both motors and no current draw. Reconnected right motor , worked fine. Disconnected right, connected left, large current draw/ no operation. Compared motor connectors and, when looking at the female terminal end of connector with release tab pointed up, on the righ connector the green wire is on the right but on the left (drivers side) it's opposite, yellow is on the right. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is correct ( colors wired opposite between left & right), I'll assume I have a jammed mechanism or shorted motor.
thanks!
​​​​​​​jim
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The two wires at the motor are both power. One is up and the other is down with a separate ground wire for the motor.

Can you turn the thumbwheel on the inoperative motor to make it move manually ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-24-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I never noticed before, but I have three wiring diagrams and they all show the yellow and green wires to be opposite in the left and right connectors (front to rear as they look in the car).. I guess that makes sense since the motors are mounted opposite each other with the connectors being rotated as you turn the motor to mount it and connections being on same end of motor as built.The yellow should roll the motors up on both sides and the green down on both sides. But as Frankie said, 12v on either wire with a ground connected to the motor should make them move one way or the other. Can you manually turn the adjuster and get that one to move?

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Flatironsjim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I never noticed before, but I have three wiring diagrams and they all show the yellow and green wires to be opposite in the left and right connectors (front to rear as they look in the car).. I guess that makes sense since the motors are mounted opposite each other with the connectors being rotated as you turn the motor to mount it and connections being on same end of motor as built.The yellow should roll the motors up on both sides and the green down on both sides. But as Frankie said, 12v on either wire with a ground connected to the motor should make them move one way or the other. Can you manually turn the adjuster and get that one to move?
able to move drivers side manually but, when powered, indicates a large current draw with no movement. Guess I need to remove motor assembly and investigate furrther on the bench.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

On headlight motors and the assemblies in general, you really need to start by removing both motors and swinging the doors to feel the resistance. What happens is the doors don't swing freely and the motors have to deal with the added resistance of no lubrication and stuck bearings. I just got done rebuilding both headlight buckets and was surprised to find 2 frozen bearings, even though the buckets did not have much resistance. Now, they will literally open and close by their own weight with a flick of the finger. Think of white lithium grease after 50+ years (mud) and you get the idea. Start with the buckets, then go to the motors.
The following users liked this post:
Easy Rhino (06-10-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

First thing I'd do is measure for 12v on the yellow wire to the bad side when you hold the switch up. Measure on the green wire and you should have no voltage. Hold the switch down, you should have 12v on the green wire and no voltage on the yellow wire. It should be the same on both sides. Also check the black ground wire on the non working side. If you found other wiring issues with the new harness, you may have not found them all.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Flatironsjim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
First thing I'd do is measure for 12v on the yellow wire to the bad side when you hold the switch up. Measure on the green wire and you should have no voltage. Hold the switch down, you should have 12v on the green wire and no voltage on the yellow wire. It should be the same on both sides. Also check the black ground wire on the non working side. If you found other wiring issues with the new harness, you may have not found them all.
​​​​​​​thanks, will work through steps suggested within last two replays.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 headlight motor

Quick Reply: C2 headlight motor