C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Age related attitude

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:37 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

I’m 45 and you guys are depressing...

I guess it’s all relative as I heard some of our Marines in Bahrain last week making fun of a Sgt (who just turned 25) for being, “an old timer...”

There are things that frankly, I just don’t feel like doing after working/traveling all week. Change the oil in the ‘66? Sure! Change the oil in my truck? No thanks-that’s what my teenage boys are for...
Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

As I'm getting older I am definitely conscious of running out of time, never been more focused and productive. In a place where I don't trust anyone to do anything to my satisfaction, given up on that a long while ago. I plan on wrenching and painting to the end. Sometimes I ask myself if I need all these cars, have 10 collector cars, that I hardly drive even when finished. Got about half done now that I stopped buying and selling. Love having them and quite frankly can't think of a thing I would rather be doing. I believe there is something to the notion that the passion and drive to finish something gives you a few more productive years when the end is near over being idle. I'm one of those guys that's always early and prepared when a deadline is involved, I am counting on finishing these projects before the ultimate deadline or very close to it. I'll always have something going.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by kellsdad
"As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?"

Absolutely! Not with the Corvette in particular but with life in general. It began while I was fixing some shingles on the steep roof of my home after a storm. I was in my mid-50s at the time and I made myself a promise. I will not go on a steep roof after age 60 even if I still think I can handle it when the time comes. The likelihood and consequences of a fall get too high to let my ego and wallet make that decision. Later, I wrote a short story that included a scene where a 75 year old man was watching a team of professional roofers put a new roof on his house. A neighbor noted the old man's apparent joy in watching the workers. "I always hated having a new roof put on," said the neighbor. "They tear up the yard and leave debris and nails everywhere. Why are you so happy?"

The old man looked at the neighbor and said, "I'm so old I'll never have to do this again." then he smiled.
We’re going to need a new roof soon. I’m only getting the cheap 20-year shingles.

There’s always a silver lining if you look for it <LOL>.

Steve
Old 05-26-2018, 09:26 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I still do most of my own stuff. Restored and built more than a few cars in my life but definitely slowing down and wont tackle a full resto anymore. Also is it getting older that makes some of us back off the wrenches or is it have more money than when we were younger and saying screw it, I'll pay to have it done and I can hang with my grandkids by the pool instead?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Problem with paying someone to do it, it finding someone who can do it.
65air_coupe (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

when dad and I are working on his cars I always joke do it right and make sure I don't have to fix it again one day when I get the car
Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

One thing that bugs me: I've noticed bumping into stuff or something and sometimes a tendency for small stuff to slip past the fingers. Didn't used to be like this. .. Situational awareness? ..
For all here it ain't over yet . . Live life by the way you feel and not by the calendar.
John
Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
when dad and I are working on his cars I always joke do it right and make sure I don't have to fix it again one day when I get the car
I hate to be the one to tell you, but that approach is only good for a limited time. There is a well established principle in the science of thermodynamics called entropy. Extended into our everyday lives it says that time and natural processes will cause all orderly systems to ultimately decline into disorder and chaos. Entropy is why no matter how clean you get your house or car, you will soon have to expend more energy and effort to clean it again. It also explains why my car has been repainted twice since I bought it and will soon need paint again. ... So, while doing a repair well may buy you more time than doing it poorly, that repair will need to be done again someday no matter what. The point of this discussion is how long will that be, and will I live long enough to be here when its due. In my experience, any driven car will need considerable effort, energy and expense every 20 years or so. And I'm guessing you will still be turning wrenches 20 years from now.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
One thing I do a lot more now is overthinking every job I have to do, to the point of not starting them in a timely fashion, but rather sitting there planning every part of the job first. When I was a kid I'd dive right in and learn as I go.
I wish I was guilty of this Thursday. I was gel coating my doors with rain in the area. The guy that helps me kept saying over and over I wouldn't do that we're surrounded by rain. As I finished the first door it occurred to me that in my haste I didn't put any hardner in. Surprisingly I got if off yesterday fairly easily and re did it. But this time I made sure I have everything in order. I had 2 containers thinned without hardener, hardener ready, PVA in a sepperate gun ready, and it went perfect.
Kerrmudgeon (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 10:17 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Heck, I wonder if my next tube of toothpaste will be my last!

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 05-26-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I just turned 67 three days ago and am glad I made it this far. Like some of you, I can't do what I once could although sometimes my stupidity tells me to try. I've actually been thinking recently about selling my car(s) while the market is up and so my kids won't be burdened with that task. But then I go in the garage and look at them and think "heck, I've worked all my adult life to have what I do (and I KNOW I am very fortunate to have these old cars) and I should enjoy them til the very end"..........................whenever the "end" is we never know, but at least my kids could get some scrap value for them.
ptjsk (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteed
When I was in my 50's, I watched as a 72 y/o was on my roof w/his son doing a roof install for me, and thinking to myself, wow, he's pretty old to be doing that. But, yesterday, I was on the roof of the garage doing some work, and in a few days I'll be 72, and I remember him, and now was thinking to myself, I'm not so old that I can't still do this stuff. I still do all kinds of stuff I didn't think I'd do when I got old. But, I guess I don't think I'm old yet.

I do remember my father-in-law saying what you're saying, when he was in his early 70's. He didn't make it past 75. So, maybe there is a self fulfilling prophecy at work. Who knows??
At 63 going on 100, I'm starting to go to more funerals of my age-matched peers; however, I try to not dwell on my own mortality as much as I can manage it.

I do think there is an unquantifiable mindset that affects mortality, like when both spouses die within moments of each other, and maybe when one finds no more purpose in living.

I think that is why the men that live the longest in both sides of my family that do not quit working, or at least do not quit living. My father is 85 years old and still works full time (and he's got more money than Rockefeller), and both my grandfathers worked into their upper 70s (both were very successful, very busy businessmen with multiple companies, and both left large estates). My father in law will be 91 in September and still works part time (because he enjoys it) and works out everyday, and not old fogy work outs, but big time workouts, and is on no medications.

The women in my family are like cockroaches - you can't kill them - they live forever. But they stay busy, too.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
This. As I've gotten older, I have become wiser and more skilled. Also less physically able. So I find work-arounds for heavy labor tasks, and stuff around the house, like digging fence post holes, I hire out for. I figure my time is worth $70+ and hour, so why not pay a guy $15 and hour to dig holes for me? Problem is, finding skilled people to do it! I'm 'only' 57, and not task-saturated, but there are things I am doing and certificates I am maintaining at work that I am on my last-go-'round with. Next month, I have to re-certify a bunch of ASE categories, and the certs are goof for 5 years......and I will be retired before that. Just talking yesterday with a friend who also has a bunch of 'old' stuff on whom to leave it all to eventually. We are all only here temporarily....best to make the most of it!! It's been my observation that the guys who live the longest/fullest always seem to be busy and never seem to have the attitude that their time is diminishing. I need to be more like those guys!!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:18 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Made me spit coffee all over! LOL!! Thanks for the morning laugh, Sir!! And have a great weekend!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
LOL!

That’s why I buy the extra large size tube.

Steve
Old 05-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'll be 71 in two weeks, and have good health. I am realizing that the desire to do some things doesn't have as much urgency as it one had. Over the years I have played the roll of, Harry homeowner, Joe the mechanic with satisfying results. Now, I am increasing my effort to evaluate every labor intensive task, some of which I have always done, then make the decision, will it be me or someone else to do the job. I'm not concerned about the Vette. I'll continue to do the basic maintenance. I consider it to be in very reliable condition, but if something major is required, I know what shop to call. All the phone numbers for the points of contact for ny work are one touch away. Dennis
Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog

LOL!

That’s why I buy the extra large size tube.

Steve
That's why I buy the small.

Get notified of new replies

To Age related attitude

Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 PM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
I wish I could 'mate' with just one.... (not bovine or other 4-legged species related...)

Bill

Glad you qualified that statement
Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
At 67 I take a baby aspirin and multi-vitamin each morning - that's it for medications.

I'll be in the garage this morning putting a new work bench together and changing the oil in the jet ski for the season....
I look at some others my age and I'm thankful as all creation...

Sorry for the hi jack....
FTF

If you are in to jetski's there is a forum similar to this one for them.

greenhulk.net

I love speed but now a days, it is too dangerous on the roads especially here in Atlanta, so I built a Yamaha Wave Runner a couple years ago and last week my etrek GPS read 82.7MPH. (still chasing 85) I love the look on the go fast bass boat guys when I pass them up. Got to get my speed on somehow.

I still love to do my own work but deal with the same reservation as many on here.

Last edited by smacota1; 05-26-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:12 PM
DAN70
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I just finished my ‘54 last summer, two years of nothing but fun. Now my 25 year old mind is telling my 68 year old body to tackle another. I’ll be in the hunt for a C2 shortly. I’m not going anywhere....FUN STUFF...

Quick Reply: Age related attitude